Thinking 'upgrade' from D3 > B3 (e9x)

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: D4, Charles, neil

Post Reply
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:55 am

I'm thinking to upgrade my car to B3 2006-2009. Do anyone have a list of Alpina modifications compared to standard 335i? And what are the common problems of the B3 engine?
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Adwo
A
A
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Only the pistons differ from the 335i, the B3 S has a different air box to get to the 400 HP mark...

The exhaust system is also changed from the standard car.

Car suffers from typical 335i problems, HPFP, turbo waste gate rattle, electronic water pumps, injectors, HVA elements.

Fabulous car though!

Cheers,

Adwo
2009 E91 B3 Biturbo #40
2006 E46 B3 S convertible #165
2000 E46 B3 3.3 limo #172
1999 Mitsubishi Evo 6 RS
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Adwo wrote:Only the pistons differ from the 335i, the B3 S has a different air box to get to the 400 HP mark...

The exhaust system is also changed from the standard car.

Car suffers from typical 335i problems, HPFP, turbo waste gate rattle, electronic water pumps, injectors, HVA elements.

Fabulous car though!

Cheers,

Adwo
Thanks! So is the engine assemblied at Alpina facilities? :D
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Upgrade on progress... 8)
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Bertroex
A
A
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: South Staffs

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 pm

If you pm me with your email, I can send you a pdf of the modifications and parts catalogue of the the e9x B3 BiTurbo.

Cheers,

Bert
1976 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.o
1985 Porsche 924 S

ex:1983 E28 525I, 1985 E28 528I, 1989 E30 325I Mtec coupe, 1986 M535I, 1990 E30 320i Touring, 1990 E30 325I touring, 1990 E34 525I, 1998 Z3 1.9, 1998 E39 523I SE, 1999 e46 328CI, 2008 E92 Alpina B3 BiTurbo 053
and 13 Porsches...
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:41 am

Image

8)

Daylight pictures available on next spring [/img]
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
User avatar
flyboyben
ALPI
ALPI
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am
Location: Aberdeenshire

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:33 am

Lovely touring! I assume it's a B3? How easy was it to find one where you are?
2009 B3 Bi-turbo coupe #157
2013 Mini Cooper S
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 pm

flyboyben wrote:Lovely touring! I assume it's a B3? How easy was it to find one where you are?
Yes, it is #11 B3 Touring e91 and it is the only touring in Finland at the moment. There is some cabrios and coupes available around 200k driven. Mine is around 100k and pretty much like new condition. Finnish taxing policy keeps prices quite high 100k cars around 40k€... :roll:

There is only 100 Alpinas in Finland. Therefore it is pretty hard to find cars like this...
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Broch
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Aberdeenshire

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 am

Welcome to E91 ownership.....it's a pretty exclusive club 8)

Onzie
B6 Convertible
B3s Bi-Turbo Tourer
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am

Broch wrote:Welcome to E91 ownership.....it's a pretty exclusive club 8)

Onzie
Thanx! :D
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm

I have now driven one week and 1000km with the car and it is pretty awesome machine. Two questions raised:

1. Is the differential with the lock and is it Alpina specific?

2. What does the sport mode do? Is it just for gear box? Car feels louder with it... or am I just effected by placebo?

Thanx for advance...
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
User avatar
Metrics
ALPINA Af
ALPINA Af
Posts: 1458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: Berks

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Sharkou wrote:I have now driven one week and 1000km with the car and it is pretty awesome machine. Two questions raised:

1. Is the differential with the lock and is it Alpina specific?

2. What does the sport mode do? Is it just for gear box? Car feels louder with it... or am I just effected by placebo?

Thanx for advance...
On my previous E93 335i LCI the Sport button made the throttle and gearshifts more responsive, and opened the exhaust valve for more sound. Suspect your B3 will be the same.
2012 Alpina D5 BiTurbo No. 13
2002 Alpina B10 V8S No. 60
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
2005 Audi TT 225
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet
1983 Mk1 Golf GTI
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am

Metrics wrote:
Sharkou wrote:I have now driven one week and 1000km with the car and it is pretty awesome machine. Two questions raised:

1. Is the differential with the lock and is it Alpina specific?

2. What does the sport mode do? Is it just for gear box? Car feels louder with it... or am I just effected by placebo?

Thanx for advance...
On my previous E93 335i LCI the Sport button made the throttle and gearshifts more responsive, and opened the exhaust valve for more sound. Suspect your B3 will be the same.
Ok, thanks. I continued research and find out that is no exhaust valve on B3. Atleast I could not find it and unpluging the connector near left tail bulbs, it did not create any error codes.

Any ideas about the differential? Is it Alpina specific? Do I need to change oil for differential as well? Anyone having B3 (e90 LCI) manuals in english as pdf?
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Sharkou
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am
Location: Hyvinkaa, Finland

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Greetings from Finland! Did not know my B3 as daily drive what is the normal winter condition here before came here 😜


Image
Garage:

B3 Touring '09 #11
Volvo V50 T5 '04
Corvette Stingray Coupe '69
Corvette '57

ex. D3 Touring '06 #37
ex. TT Coupe Quattro '99
ex. A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition '07
Post Reply