theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The downside of saving the planet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: The downside of saving the planet Reply with quote

So we are told we are killing the planet and so (collectively) we must do something about it.

The car manufacturers are now producing cars that produce less emissions and so kill the planet more slowly. To achieve this they tweak the engine management system, add an extra turbo to a smaller capacity engine and come up with clever stop/start solutions.

What they are also doing is reducing the weight of the vehicles. So we now have run-flat tyres and/or puncture repair kits instead of spare tyres. What we also have is weight reduction in many components which produces the desired effect of getting your RS4 Evo Mark XII Touring 4WD thingy below the critical level of carbon thingies to pay less road tax.

But here's the downside:

- the lack of a spare tyre means that owners are looking to buying an aftermarket one (thereby increasing weight and increasing carbon emissions) at a cost above and beyond the increased cost of buying a new "green" car (which is more expensive than the outgoing one because of all the fantastically clever new gizmos that have been introduced - as well as the essential green bits).

- and then the paper thin bracket holding the headlamps in place causes problems and requires "upgrading" to the pre-green version (albeit at a cost to the manufacturer) which increases weight and carbon thingies.

These are just two examples of how fundamentally flawed the approach is to going green. Reduce weight, charge people more then add weight after achieving the requisite outputs - it's like a boxer or a jockey sweating down to achieve a particular weight threshold for a fight or a race and then stuffing their faces after the event.

Don't get me wrong - I am all for reducing fuel consumption so that what we have goes further for longer - but I am buggered if I am going to be hoodwinked into believing that my eco-halo has just got bigger and shinier because my new car produces less carbon wotsits than my neighbour.

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a lot more "failures" on E9x series cars than E46 ones and on any new models in the future compared to their predecessors - all for the sake of reducing weight to satisfy some tax threshold or other.

And who will have to pay for it down the line?

You guessed it Evil or Very Mad
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The downside of saving the planet Reply with quote

Charles wrote:
And who will have to pay for it down the line?

All those muppets who buy new cars every year!

You can take pride in your eco-credentials through the continued use of your B3S. It will generate far less emissions in the next few years than it takes just to bring a new model to the showroom - regardless of how green the new model is. Wink
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you completely, Chas.

I was making a broader point in light of an increasing number of "niggles" being referred to by D3 owners. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the number of cars now out there but I suspect there is more to it than that - hence my post.
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles wrote:
Agree with you completely, Chas.

I was making a broader point in light of an increasing number of "niggles" being referred to by D3 owners. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the number of cars now out there but I suspect there is more to it than that - hence my post.

Another reasons to why we know about the faults of E90s is because everyone does now have internet access and hence do posts their niggles. Unlike the start of the E46 Wink

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: