theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Punctures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Punctures Reply with quote

Just reading this week's Autocar and spotted a small report that stated that:

"the average car gets a puncture every 38,000 miles"

This got me thinking - both about frequency of punctures and whether different tyre brands are more or less susceptible to punctures.

I know that it does also depend on the type of motoring you do and also where you drive your car but I was wondering what your experiences and thoughts are about this statistic?

Personally, and without wishing to tempt fate, I can't remember the last time I had to deal with a puncture and I do 30k miles a year.

What about you?
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very long time since I've suffered a puncture which caused rapid deflation of the tyre [touches head as it's the closest wooden material]

However, don't get me started on slow punctures... Almost every car I've owned has had one tyre which loses one psi every week. You never know if it's a badly seated tyre, a leaking valve, or a 'real' puncture which is just very small. Crying or Very sad

At least it forces you to check the pressures regularly!
Dunk
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my records, which are anally retentive for tax reasons, in the last 10 years, I've covered 770,000 miles in the course of being a road warrior sales rep.

I've had a grand total of one proper blow-out (200sx Touring, Yokohamas, A3, 120coughs per hour, OSR = more luck than judgement that I'm still here), and one 'go flat in the space of 5 miles (Calibra Turbo, Goodrich Profilers)

I've probably had no more than 3 or 4 screws/nails removed from tyres.

I think you might be right - 200sx excepted, all mine have occurred on BF Goodrich Profilers... (mind you, until the arrival of the B3, I tended to specifiy BFG Profilers on everything)
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 notable experiences with Punctures:

1. Had 4 new tyres fitted to my car (Corolla Gti 16v) and drove to meet some collegues at a restaurant - saw a space outside and parked there - catching a metal grate in the kerb which burst the side wall of the front drivers side tyre (which then instantly deflated meaning I couldn't get out of the drivers side or swap the tyre (high kerb too!)

2. Driving into Leeds following a car - big rock like thing in the road - hit it buckled both driver's side wheels - deflating the tyres (over time) at the time only thought it was the rear - so limped it to a tyre place - ended up with the space saver on all the way back from Leeds. just about at my house and the front tyre deflated fully ! Spare wheel's tyre (kept in the garage at home) had a bulge on the sidewall. So in 1 incident 2 wheels and 3 tyres Sad Mind you that was in my doomed Scooby Rolling Eyes
www.FastHatchbacks.com
www.theALPINAregister.com
www.AutoRoadTests.com
Twitter: neilmw
blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tyres om my 306 were always going flat
the problem was the sidewalls were reinforced so by the time i noticed they were flat they had wrecked the inner walls Sad thats the problem with low profile tyres
nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous job with all the company cars that I had - I had loads of punctures.

In all the years that I owned my 325 not one. Also if tyre pressures were not a safety feature, I then would treat it like engine oil– don’t even check.

Also not one on the B3.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic
Steve A
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunk wrote:
According to my records, which are anally retentive for tax reasons, in the last 10 years, I've covered 770,000 miles in the course of being a road warrior sales rep.

77k per year Shocked that is mental if you have 4 weeks holiday i year you've averaged 1600 miles a week for 10 yearsOMG
Dunk
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Ashton wrote:
Dunk wrote:

77k per year Shocked that is mental if you have 4 weeks holiday i year you've averaged 1600 miles a week for 10 yearsOMG

Varies

current job is around 45K per annum

Previous job was around 90K per annum

Prior to that, firm I was with had an office in Salzburg - which around 1800 mile round trip once a week.

As for holidays - never had more than 1 week off in any given year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had to get two new tyres fitted to the Espace (worn out not punctured) so I was chatting to the ATS technician about this.

In his experience, the cheaper the tyre the more chance of picking up a puncture from road debris. This doesn't include, for obvious reasons punctures caused by broken drain covers, kerbs and other such items.

This is, of course, highly unscientific - but the he has to deal with these things every day and he did seem very switched on.

BTW ATS in Oxford - Dave is the man - excellent customer service Very Happy
ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one last month while I was driving on M6. The Pirelli on my Volvo 940 got punctured and took me 1/2 hr to fix it.
The other incident was on my B10 in July 05. About 10 miles just I left home for an European tour the RNS got punctured. That was Michelen Pilot Sport. Then I got the replacement of whole set of Pirrelli Zero in Venna for under 1k sterliing. Just after 6 months the ROS of the Pirrelli got a piece came off but without showing any wires etc., otherwise there would be another 200 gone and this tyre survive until I changed back to PS2 just before the factory visit.
So all together roughly 24 months for one puncture. I assume that is not so bad. That is about 50-60k miles altogether higher than expected.
Charles

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it had to happen Evil or Very Mad

Just had the OSR replaced (with 7mm still on it) becuase I had picked up a screw near the edge of the tread and it was unrepairable.

Good old Micheldever had an original PS in stock (in fact they have quite a number of both front and rear original PS tyres in stock or those who prefer them to PS2s on your B3) so pumped up the offending tyre and limped south for the replacement.

Mind you, this is only the first time I have had a puncture in over 136,000 miles during the last 5 years with the B3S - so I can't complain too much.
rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
the tyres om my 306 were always going flat
the problem was the sidewalls were reinforced so by the time i noticed they were flat they had wrecked the inner walls Sad thats the problem with low profile tyres

Blacky, couldn't you jack the car & support MOST weight for extended periods, as a quick fix? 'Cause tyres do go out of round (buckled steel belts in new (flat shape) causes 'lumpy ride until they warm up & get back into shape. Depends on convenience I s'pose.

CHARLES
Just wondering about the 'off-tread' puncture. Ah, I know...possible damage to steel belts.
They can be pluged if it's only a nail/screw/etc, and as added safety tubes can be fitted??
It could also be used as a spare, so long as as it is clearly marked.

I once used "tyre seal" for a tread puncture and it worked perfect until all tyre/s were replaced. No vibration etc.

20 odd months ago I put 4 brand new top-of-the-range tyres on my E30 Bauer for about 800 pounds. The dick damaged 3 (THREE) on the bead but on inquiry, "Sorry mate, you must've drove over some rough spots, can't help ya"! Twisted Evil

P.S.
Bit worried about DUNK checking his "anally" for tax reasons Shocked
blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i ended up suspending it off the floor but in the wrong way lol

it wasnt the lack of use that caused them to go flat i think it was the driving it hard every day that caused the beads to leak

the start of something good
rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacky wrote:
i think i ended up suspending it off the floor but in the wrong way lol

it wasnt the lack of use that caused them to go flat i think it was the driving it hard every day that caused the beads to leak

AAhhhhhhh...THAT's what I mean...SEE...the tyres will NEVER go out of round Wink
Charles

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcshott wrote:
CHARLES
Just wondering about the 'off-tread' puncture. Ah, I know...possible damage to steel belts.
They can be pluged if it's only a nail/screw/etc, and as added safety tubes can be fitted??
It could also be used as a spare, so long as as it is clearly marked.

Hey Jim - good to hear from you. You've been noticeable by your absence.

To respond to your points, the tyre was repairable based on where the screw was located. However, on removal and inspection, it was clear that I had damaged the inside of the inner sidewall by running at lower pressures.

Given that I am taking her on a series of Vmax runs in a couple of weeks, if a repair had been marginal I would still have gone for a new tyre - better to be safe than sorry for the sake of a few quid (well £170 to be accurate).

As for keeping it as a spare, don't forget that the B3S runs different sizes front and rear and whilst I may have a Touring, it ain't a Volvo Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: