Poly bushes versus OEM

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Poly bushes versus OEM

Post by Charles » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:46 am

As some of you may know, I've had poly bushes on the car - rear trailing arms and front brake reaction arms - for quite some time now (about six years) and the rear ones had started squeaking quite badly as they were in need of re-greasing.

I originally went down that route as I was interested to see how a slightly firmer response would feel like, as well as being swayed by the "maintenance-free" marketing.

Sure, the feedback from the steering was better but everything has started to feel too firm for my liking - not to mention the need to undertake some (unexpected) maintenance - so I switched back to OEM yesterday.

First thoughts on the drive back from CPC were that the slightly softer ride was preferable and I didn't feel that feedback had been compromised at all - particularly on the twisty bits nearer to home :D

It's early days and I'm glad I experimented with poly bushes for a while, but my instinct (and seat of my pants) suggest that I have made the right choice to move from the dark side and return the car to OEM.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Cygnet
A
A

Post by Cygnet » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Very useful information. Thank you Charles.
E46 B3 s coupe #122. (Sold)
VW Golf R.
BMW E46 M3
Riley 1.5

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks Charles a most timely post. I'm due to fit new suspension and springs all round soon and was debating what bushes to use if needed.
B3 E46 no.265

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I've debated polybushes v oem with many people over the years and it is what I personally prefer. There is no right or wrong answer to which is better It all comes down to personal preference in the end I'd say
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 pm

ali wrote:I've debated polybushes v oem with many people over the years and it is what I personally prefer. There is no right or wrong answer to which is better It all comes down to personal preference in the end I'd say
If you don't mind me asking ali which, if any do you prefer?
B3 E46 no.265

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am

OEM bushes for me for the family car.
I'm not a fan of bumpy crashy rides and I feel with polybush setups comfort is lost to an extent and extra road noise and vibration is transmitted to the cabin.
At the other end of the scale handling is improved to a degree with less bodyroll and a more direct feel to turn in from the steering so it boils down to what application the car is being used for.
My Alpinas are both oem bushes all round but my M5 powered E30 Touring is polybushed. It is used as a fast road car and if I ever get some free time potentially track use. The E30 would be hopeless as a daily car if comfort was your thing but that's not what it was built for

My brother and I also do a lot of off road activities with landrover and range rover hybrids. When looking for extreme axle articulation rubber bushes definitely give more freedom for components to move
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply ali. From my point of view it's comfort that I'm after so I'll stick to OEM.
B3 E46 no.265

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am

Every mile I have driven since swapping back to OEM has brought a bigger smile to my face. I hadn't realised how much stiffer the car was on poly bushes until now - and how this had restricted my driving style.

Now back on OEM and I am finding myself flowing into and out of corners more smoothly and (don't mention this too loud) somewhat quicker than previously :twisted:

Funny how you get used to things after a while but I can genuinely say that the "feel" I am getting now reminds of the very early days when I first picked up the car back in 2003 - and what fun that was :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!