theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic car addition?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Classic car addition? Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Anybody run a classic car as well as Alpina?

We're thinking of maybe getting a 1950 Daimler DB18 for some family fun - are we mad? Any tips / thoughts?

Cheers

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic car addition? Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Anybody run a classic car as well as Alpina?

I don't understand? All my Alpinas are classics Laughing
But seriously, it looks very distinctive and I'm sure the family will love it. Picnics in a Eurobox just don't compare!
ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool suicide doors Very Happy

Agree with Chas. Looks very unusual, and sure it would be a fun thing to own. Maybe costly, though.
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'grey' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S
biffa
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: classic car Reply with quote

Why not,i run a westfield fitted with a lotus twincam, i also have a 1947 350 Matchless,it can be great fun,the only problems i have is,storage &,the time to use them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement!

Ironically (biffa) I have a half share of a Caterham 7, but rarely use it (sacrilige!) and obvously can't take Mrs R +3 kids in it!

My main concern is I'm no mechanic, and possible endless bills as a result. Mrs R +3 are dead keen though, so might take the plunge. Will post if we do!

Cheers
biffa
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it my friend,the beauty of it is that,you leave the wife & kids at home or,at the bus stop Shocked a few hours in the westi is,the best fun i can have with my clothes on...life is for living my friend Laughing Laughing Laughing

& as for the hands on approach,you do need a little mechanical knowledge but,if like me you only have basic skills it's all down to common sence..pre & post flight checks but,mainly,fill the tank &,then have fun emptying it Wink
MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wise words....!!!! Think
B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely car Very Happy my first 2 cars had the Wilson Pre-selector box.

1947 Lanchester LD10 and a 1955 Daimler Conquest Century.
I still have a soft spot for Daimlers, they have class, after all they were the Royal families favorite for many years Laughing

Go for it
MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Went to see the Daimler, very nice but too scared to shell out that amount of money! So after further looking, ended up with this! 1936 Ford CX Tourer De Luxe.

I haven't checked, but those wheels could easily be 19s...

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a car out of the ordinary! Don't think I've ever seen one before. Does it have (m)any hp Question

I bet the handling is 'interesting' on those tyres Shocked Looks like someone has spent a lot of hours on her to get her like that after all these years.
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'grey' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It's called a 10HP, but seems that was something to do with getting a low car tax or something, apparently it's about 30hp...good for 40-odd, maybe even 50 (down hill, following wind, no requirement to brake in advance etc).

Handling - different.

Looks great from a distance...actually not too bad overall, interior is tired. Bit of a step into the unknown for me - love cars but not mechanically / restoration minded - hoping for good luck!

Cheers

Mike
ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Thanks!

It's called a 10HP, but seems that was something to do with getting a low car tax or something, apparently it's about 30hp...good for 40-odd, maybe even 50 (down hill, following wind, no requirement to brake in advance etc).

Handling - different.

Looks great from a distance...actually not too bad overall, interior is tired. Bit of a step into the unknown for me - love cars but not mechanically / restoration minded - hoping for good luck!

An 1172cc side-valve engine! Fabulous Very Happy A bit different to your D3. Are the pedals in the 'right' places on those?
Brave, and very different. Good luck with it, Mike.
There are some amazingly-skilled people around renovating these old girls...we have a family friend who has done (seemingly) dozens of restos. He has made full interiors and soft-tops too for some very nice old machines and has my full admiration for the skills he has. I reckon you'll be tapping into the owners networks for help and advice quite regularly.
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
biffa
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks good,good luck & have fun..avoid any steep inclines though Wink
MikeR
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffa wrote:
She looks good,good luck & have fun..avoid any steep inclines though Wink

Thanks! I can only think of one incline near us (just outside Canbridge) so will plan accordingly!
CharlesM
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a real classic rather than a youngtimer (as the Germans call them) I run an Allard M1 drophead from 1949. Originally about 400 made (Dirk Bogarde had one) there are now about 40 left. The great thing is that underneath they are essentially Fords - flathead V8, Ford 3 speed gearbox and Ford chassis - although Sydney Allard made the front axle independent by cutting it in half!

The advantage of Fords is that they were exceptionally well built, but as I discovered when I needed a lot of work done, you can get parts (new old stock for my gearbox) easily and in classic car terms, cheaply. So when my engine needed replacement (a cracked block) I was able to buy a replacement off the shelf - the French Army carried on using the Flathead V8 in 3.9 and 4.2 litre form for their Matra trucks until the mid-90s.

In the 4.2 form, with twin Stromberg carbs, the 8BA engine is good for about 105bhp and 220 lbs ft of torque at low revs. Hills don't phase me, but then, it still has period drum brakes, so whatever speed I get up to, I have to be able to stop from!

Finally, I can post some photos!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> My Car All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: