Next M5 revealed:

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Next M5 revealed:

Post by neil » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:48 pm

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new ... n-scooped/

• 4.4-litre V8 bi-turbo
• 578bhp, 530lb ft
• 155mph limited top speed
• 0-62mph 4.4sec
• Unlimited top speed 188mph

So the difference between a M engine and an ALPINA one has never been closer - plenty of torque for once on the M

Compare to the B7 Bi-Turbo engine:

• 4.4-litre V8 bi-turbo
• 507bhp, 516lb ft
• 174mph limited top speed
• 0-62mph 4.5sec
• Unlimited top speed Not specified

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Very interesting - particularly as you have compared the M5 with the B7. Can't help wondering that the new B5 will be right up the pipes of the M5.

I also noticed that there will NOT be an M5 Touring - perhaps an opportunity for ALPINA?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Obviously I'm assuming the B5 gets the same engine as the B7 - this has not been officially confirmed !

I would hope that the B5 offers similar performance but with more sensible economical running costs.

Whilst BMW state they want less Co2 and better economy they upped the power again to just under 600bhp !

The real argument for the B3 Bi-turbo was that whilst the headline figures dont seem to compare in the real world the car is every bit as fast as the M3, RS4 E63 etc. Whilst having far better running costs.

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm

I think the next B5 will have the B7 engine too. My understanding is that it's Alpinas 'masterpiece' which they'll put in a number of cars with different tweaks.

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:19 pm

There is a good chance that the B7 engine will be in the new B5. Assuming that it is and with the weight differences between both cars (B7 and B5), then the B5 will be as quick as the new M5 on paper :shock:

The main thing is that the B5 and the M5 engines power displacement is the same as previous models i.e. the M5 is raw power and the B5 conservative. This is why I have two doubts about the B7 engine being in the B5. Firstly the M5 will have enough torque to match the B5 uniqueness, and secondly will M allow the B5 to be that quick?

I did ask Kris this on the factory tour in 2007: Does ALPINA have any plans to develop an in-line 6 for the (back then) current B5? Kris replied: “No”. As there is no Touring for the new M5, and as ALPINA B5 UK sales for the last year are blank :!: I think it will be a good idea for ALPINA to have something similar to the B10. An in-line 6 engine and a V8. The B10 had good sales in the UK.

Switch-Tronic is the best gearbox ever but what will be cool is a manual B5 8)
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 pm

nealpina wrote: and secondly will M allow the B5 to be that quick?
I don't think there will be any issues with this as most people will only be able to compare the two cars on paper and (assuming the B5 gets the new B7 engine) then you're average Joe will go straight to looking at horsepower where the M5 seems to win hands down with a 70bhp advantage. As we all know, in the real world the differences will probably be pretty marginal, especially as the B7 is only 0.1s slower to 62 but weighs an awful lot more.

I really do look forward to finding out about the new B5.
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:58 am

I disagree because if I was a buyer and didn’t know enough about both brands. Then when looking at the statistics I would be saying why does the M has more BHP and torque but yet the lesser powered ALPINA engine has the same 0 to 60 :roll: Therefore I will be assuming that one is lying
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Alpina Jim » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 pm

So by going for a V8 turbo is BMW admitting it dropped off with the V10 engine?

I have a family friend that owns a current M5 although he is not what I would call "too well heeled" and his beast spends a lot of time in his garage due to the awful fuel consumption. His will definitely be a low mileage deal for somone in the future.
Jim

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.

Geoff
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Geoff » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:55 am

neil wrote:The real argument for the B3 Bi-turbo was that whilst the headline figures dont seem to compare in the real world the car is every bit as fast as the M3, RS4 E63 etc. Whilst having far better running costs.
Running costs for the B3BT are unbelievable with all the perfomance you would ever need in the real world.
31.95 mpg brim to brim for a 1300 mile trip in July, the worst fill being 30.6 and the best over 33.0 considerably better than a M3.
I would also think that the new B5 will have far better running costs and be just as quick as new the M5 with a much better ride unless BMW have got their act together at last :wink:
B3 BiTurbo Coupe (#104)
B10 3.3 (#055) Sold
Austin Healey 3000 BT7 (Sold)

Every day is a winding road.

thomas v8
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by thomas v8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:20 am

Also no mention on what type gearbox the new M5 will come with. I have read somewhere I'm sure that the people want a manual like in the old E39 M5.

When Alpina do produce the New B5 I hope they stay with there Famous Switch-tronic Auto box, as its the best alternative or system on a motorcar in my opinion, to a manual. well I think better than the manual shift but thats just my opinion :) . So plenty of switch-tronic tourings with bags of torque and bhp and you will be ok :wink: And Alpina will be Triumphant over M power again :lol:

Long live "ALPINA"
current cars:
E39 528i touring Auto
Come on you GUNNERS

previous Beemers:
E39 Alpina B10 V8 THE BEAST: :auto
Mods. GRuppe M CAI.

E34 520i Touring: Manual.
E39 530i sport:Auto.
E39 M5:Manual.
E39 Alpina B10 V8:Auto.
E46 320i coupe:Auto.
E36 318i se saloon:Manual.
E30 320i coupe:Manual.
E53 4.8is exclusive addition.
E46 325i Manual Touring

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm

I think they may do what they did with the E60 - release it in SMG trim but then after a while release a manual version to keep the die-hard drivers happy.
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Petrolhead wrote:I think they may do what they did with the E60 - release it in SMG trim but then after a while release a manual version to keep the die-hard drivers happy.
Liking the new profile pic Alex - was Dad paying for the tyres ?

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm

neil wrote:
Petrolhead wrote:I think they may do what they did with the E60 - release it in SMG trim but then after a while release a manual version to keep the die-hard drivers happy.
Liking the new profile pic Alex - was Dad paying for the tyres ?
He was driving!
My Website!

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Alpina Jim wrote:So by going for a V8 turbo is BMW admitting it dropped off with the V10 engine?

I have a family friend that owns a current M5 although he is not what I would call "too well heeled" and his beast spends a lot of time in his garage due to the awful fuel consumption. His will definitely be a low mileage deal for somone in the future.
I don't think the V10 passes upcoming emmisions regulations. Gotta wonder why they developed it for one car, only to can it. Unless it's develpoment was interwined with F1 for cost reductions?

However that twin turbo nested in the V of the engine is a work of art. 8)

Steve A
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Steve A » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 pm

I made speculation to this ages ago http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... highlight=

i still dont see the appeal of the new B5 over the new M5 from a performance POV.

before it was all about torque vs high revs and now the engines are very similar may feel slihtly different but if the new M5 has the DCT then itll have a better engine and a better gearbox. Ive driven both swithtronic and DCT and switchtronis is old news now.

The only selling point i can see is exclusivity, ....ok maybe ride quality but still is it really worth it??
RS4 Saloon 2007 Daytona Grey
M6 Coupe Indianapolis Red
ML420CDI Sport