theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Mobile Phones Reply with quote

I've been with Orange for about 4 million years now so my loyalty points are racking up. I have always found the service to be good and they always seem to be able to get me the package I want - hence why I stay with them.

Anyway, it was renewal time last week so I had a long chat with them and apart from cutting my monthly bill I also got a Samsung Omnia phone for free - the iPhone challenegr for Windows Mobile.

The phone arrived on Friday and I spent the weekend setting it up, playing with the features and looking forward to making the most of it at work today.

Imagine my disappointment when I found that, despite being laden with fantasitc features (most of which I intended to utilise), the reception was terrible compared to my current phone (an Orange branded HTC). Maybe it was just a "wrong 'un" but sadly I don't think so.

So it was back in the box and I am now waiting for an HTC Touch Diamond as my new upgrade. Reading the reviews there is little between these two, but I was just amazed that with modern technology, Samsung had failed to produce a phone with a decent aerial Sad

My car phone is a Nokia 6310i which is bullet proof, always works and has the best reception for any phone I have ever had. Sometimes I wonder whether advances in technology are actually worth it Question
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance in technologies are good but too much will scare people away. The good example is the new E60 M5 which has so much technology in the car people don't know how to set it up. Even if they do it takes a while to do it and by that time this is done I've gone a long way. Anyway there is always an argument for it and the world is changing all the time.

Who dare to say that a saloon car cannot be faster than a super car 30 years ago. But now we know a few of them do exist in this part of the world. There is the beauties of technologies and the advancement of modern society.
alpinab3
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nokia N80 which are hardly use because the 6310i so good. 6310i best phone ever!
neil
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also on Orange and a HTC veteran - I've been waiting for the HTC Touch Diamond Pro - but have been told that they won't be releasing it for Business users !

Odd decision !
www.FastHatchbacks.com
www.theALPINAregister.com
www.AutoRoadTests.com
Twitter: neilmw
Dunk
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 6310i, and it's forerunner, the 6310, since as long as I can remember.

Utterly perfect phone.

Light, but not so small it gets lost
Large defined raised Buttons which can be found without looking (i.e. you can dial without taking your eyes off any other task)
Battery lasts forever
Works underground
etc
etc

The best bit?

It's so utterly unbreakable, I've only had one replaced in nine years...

Like Concorde, Saturn V, X-15, and the E30 M3, it disproves the theory that newer is better

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you watched Fifth Gear last night but they ran a Boxster RS60 against a 10 year old Carrera 2.

On paper they have virtually identical stats but the 911 beat the Boxster fair and square Exclamation

Makes the same sort of point I guess
nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles , it s a possibility that you have a fault with your phone Wink

neil wrote:
I'm also on Orange and a HTC veteran - I've been waiting for the HTC Touch Diamond Pro - but have been told that they won't be releasing it for Business users !

Odd decision !

Confused That is just a silly decision from Orange

I like the iPhone a lot. It does miss some functions which I would expect from another leading brand but it is still in its development stage (this is what I keep telling myself). It doesn’t have Windows mobile but Apple version (unsure of the correct name) and it is easy to use. The touch screen is pleasant to use, I therefore don’t think I could go back to a non touch screen phone.

The iPhone priced plan is overpriced, but that is Apple for you! If it also had some of the functions that I miss from my Nokia I would give it 10/10 but at the moment I will give the iPhone Rolling Eyes /10 Wink

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpina wrote:
Charles , it s a possibility that you have a fault with your phone Wink

Possibly but I have since spoken to a couple of people who have switched to the Omnia and they have made the same comments when compared to their previous phones regarding signal strength
PATAKET
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6310 and a 6310i, both the older versions with the longer body. (The 6310 is a hand-me-down from the missus dance2 )

I was able to order the adaptor for this model to work with the Bluetooth in the B3 BT, works brilliantly and of course keeps it charged at the same time. But even without the full integration, the 6310 / i is a great phone, possibly the best ever not least because the batteries hold their charge for a long time, and I have NEVER had to change the OE batteries. Brilliant.

På Taket
Charles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PATAKET wrote:
I have a 6310 and a 6310i, both the older versions with the longer body. (The 6310 is a hand-me-down from the missus dance2 )

I was able to order the adaptor for this model to work with the Bluetooth in the B3 BT, works brilliantly and of course keeps it charged at the same time. But even without the full integration, the 6310 / i is a great phone, possibly the best ever not least because the batteries hold their charge for a long time, and I have NEVER had to change the OE batteries. Brilliant.

På Taket

The reason I use a 6310i in the car is that I had no end of problems with various Sony Ericsson phones and the bluetooth in the B3S. After several module changes and replacement phones it became apparent that the BMW bluetooth was based origionally on Nokia bluetooth technology and a Nokia was the way to go.

So I was given the 6310i by BMW to shut me up Shocked

Unfortunately it did the complete opposite but at least the phone works properly Wink
PATAKET
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it will take more than the odd duff module or dodgy mobile to shut you up, Charles Shhhh yahoo

På Taket
Charles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PATAKET wrote:
I reckon it will take more than the odd duff module or dodgy mobile to shut you up, Charles Shhhh yahoo

På Taket

Surely I don't give you that impression, do I? Wink
Dunk
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, BMW Bluetooth software was written by Nokia - hence why all Nokias, especially the 6310, work so well with BMWs (and BMW-era Rovers 75s too)
AL
AL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Phones Reply with quote

Charles wrote:
Sometimes I wonder whether advances in technology are actually worth it Question

Most of the advances in mobile phones are nothing to do with telephoning people but nowadays the mobile is also expected to be a camera, music centre, tea maker and no doubt all sorts of other things too.

I stopped using my Nokia a year ago when I switched to a Blackberry for ease of access to emails when abroad but if it wasn't for that I would still be using it until it fell apart
martin duodu
A
A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with Orange for a long time, and happy with them, what with an easy-to-remember number. But then the phone was stolen from me. In fact, since I seldom use the phone, I didn't even notice the loss until Orange phoned to warn me that hey had noticed an unusual escalation in the number of calls made with it and destinations of the calls. I thanked them and asked them to cancel the SIM card, hoping they would replace it in a new phone. But they then said that since it was THEY who noticed the stealth of the phone and not me, I had to pay for the calls made with it! This went against all tenets of natural justice. Why would they want to charge me for calls THEY KNEW I hadn't made?

I, of course, refused to pay and they have been pestering me ever since, with demands to pay, using the services of a debt collector. It's left a very bad taste in my mouth. Why should such a big company want to punish someone who, it knows, has not made the calls it wants to charge him for? It is possible that they have such a provision written in the small print somewhere in the contract, but that should be unlawful, for no-one should be required to pay for something he hasn't used; a fact which, i this case, the putative creditor himself corroborates. Could thre be a worse example of tyrannical usury?
Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> Charles's Blog All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: