Brought V Bought

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Brought V Bought

Post by ali » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:27 pm

One of my biggest bug bearers on the internet and seeing it more and more on this forum.

" I bought a car recently and brought it home"
is a perfectly valid statement

"I brought a car" isn't

I am not a complete grammar or spelling Nazi but come on folks get with it
or do we all have to stoop down 2 txt spk n U no wat a mean bruuuuuv innit

Meh
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Brought V Bought

Post by E24man » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 am

Last edited by E24man on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 am

Yay Irony isn't completely lost then :)
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

I will admit to being a pedant when it comes to spelling and grammar - perhaps it's the teacher in me!

There have been occasions where I have felt it necessary to "contribute" to someone else's post with a little light correction and formatting - if only to help it read better for others.

However, I refrain from openly criticising others in the way they have written something as I don't know whether it could be due to dyslexia or something else.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:38 am

Last edited by E24man on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 am

Oh what a boring and predictable world it would be if we were all so perfect.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:50 pm

My biggest bugbear at the moment :D , is starting a sentence with So :wall2

WHY :?:

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 pm

It's one of the many things that I enjoy about this forum is the lack of txt speak on here.
Most people converse in sentences and paragraphs which is itself unusual on an internet forum.
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Number5
ALP
ALP

Post by Number5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:45 am

It annoys me when I'm behind people at a shop or Take away who say "Can I get a Large Fries & Burger ? "

NO YOU CAN'T !

You can have Large Fries and Burger but the shop assistant will get it for you.

You can not get it yourself :wall2
Alpina Roadster S Lux #307

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Hodge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I do agree with the postings on this forum using, at least sentences and paragraphs, it makes for far more interesting reading than the txt speak that lives on many of the other forums, PH and R32OC suffer from this to such an extent a can only read them through my fingers like a horror film. My favourite gripes are, Break Disks, Brought, Win-screen and Tires. None of us are perfect but why do people not read the post they have just written😳

Edited for grammar 😰

Cheers
Last edited by Hodge on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

Kentish man
ALP
ALP

Brought v bought.

Post by Kentish man » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 pm

When I raised my displeasure at peoples insistence of inserting apostrophes where they were not required, I received a couple of replies.
I did not realise that others on this forum were also rather peeved with poor use of grammar and punctuation.
My admiration for those who are au fait with the complexities of our language remains undimmed.

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 am

ali-bumble wrote:It's one of the many things that I enjoy about this forum is the lack of txt speak on here.
Most people converse in sentences and paragraphs which is itself unusual on an internet forum.
I have to say its one of the things that attracted me here too. I also frequent a bikers website which was an "Escape Pod" from a bear pit of a forum called Visordown. The escapee' converse in nicely constructed posts and ridicule is dished out in a rufty tufty biker sort of way for any text speak.

It's rather uncommon in todays internet forums, but sad to say we (the forum) are on the way out:( Social media is hosting groups who's posts, some of which are good, but inevitably disappear in the constant stream of diatribe filled news streams.

Try finding an interesting post on FB from a few years ago. The search facility is poor and the masters of this "Meeja" don't care as long as your spammed out of your mind and they get their ill gotten gains. It's no resource unlike this place which is a great one!

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 am

Interesting that this thread has been resurrected as I have been reflecting recently on whether it would be worth looking into some form of app for this forum to enable greater connectivity, rather than having to wait until I'm in front of a screen and able to open a browser.

My conclusion, backed by a number of comments here, is that the current version of this forum requires users to stop and think before posting or, as my father frequently said "Engage brain before opening mouth!". As a result, the quality of the contributions is significantly better than via social media as people take more time to consider what they are writing.

Of course, there are exceptions to this but what tends to happen is that those contributions draw quite a lot of (negative) reaction.Is this a bad thing? Perhaps - but I see it as more of a reflection of member expectations of this forum and those who contribute to it.

Call it old-fashioned, but I really value carefully considered and constructed posts that add value to my existing knowledge and understanding. That being the case, I won't be pushing for any change to the way this forum is hosted, accessed or operates as it clearly serves its purpose very well.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

MichaelC
AL
AL

Post by MichaelC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I like the forum the way it is, especially that all who contribute do write properly constructed sentences. Spelling and typos apart - and I am guilty, it just makes for a better, more coherent read.

I contribute only on other forum, Pink Fish Media, and just like the forum here, the contributions are properly constructed (usual spelling and typos there too).

Philrose
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Philrose » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 pm

I enjoy reading posts that are in plain English, as it were. Could it be a reflection on the sort of person who is an Alpina owner. Perhaps a little more mature, definately not a boy racer ( that would be BMW M territory) and well used to the finer things in life.
All said somewhat tongue in cheek :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Never trade luck for skill."

Alpina D3BT - no 364 - Wifeys
Alpina B3S BT cabrio no 235 - Mine
Yes, we have one each