Reasonable price for this B4S?

A place for members to list and discuss selling their ALPINA
PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Reasonable price for this B4S?

Post by PhillV8S » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Whilst accepting that the car in question in this thread is rather unique in how it has popped onto the forum and it’s history I feel it only fair to point out that there is tendency here to persistently down play posted cars values and the nit picking of a car provenance, condition etc can be over the top, especially in the frequency it happens.
I know I am not alone in dreading the day, if it comes that I have to advertise my car for fear of the forensic and frankly pessimistic posts that usually come the way of unfortunate sellers.
It would be nice if we could be more supportive and enthusiastic about the marque, after all we all own/like them as it’s reason we are on the forum after all!
Just my two pennies...
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

alpb4s

Post by alpb4s » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Charles wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:53 pm
Ivan,

I make no apologies for posting this publicly because I think you need to be seen hearing this.

You really don't how to win friends and influence people, do you?

The "relax" comment is patronising at best and condescending at worst - particularly as you have received a number of replies about price, all of which refer to the Cat N status, from a knowledgeable community - and then you bang in a huge price.

Furthermore, your comment about perhaps not selling it certainly doesn't square with our private conversations.

Finally, having been openly negative about CPC (unreasonably in my opinion given that I heard the other side of the story), you are now, thankfully, singing from a different hymn sheet which suggests that you need to think a bit more carefully before hitting the keyboard.

My advice would be to keep the car. It is a stunner and needs some miles on the clock post-rebuild to convince potential buyers that the car is sound and reliable. This would then begin to allay fears about the Cat N status.

I would have preferred to not have written this post but, in the interests of the majority of members here, you left me no choice
Hi Charles, no problem in posting as long as you comply with the forum rules! No offences taken anyway.

Interestingly I thought this forum would be full of friendly people and having a new member in this small Alpina world would be welcome but doesn't seem the case. Every word I have said has been taken seriously and one can't even joke.

I don't understand why you come with that CPC comment when I already deleted it and made a post about it.

Don't worry, that's what I'm doing, I'm putting some miles in the car. Amazing drive and power! I'm more than happy to keep driving it to test it works as well as a non-cat N car!

alpb4s

Post by alpb4s » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 pm

rc944 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:38 pm
i dont know whether intentional or not but the sellers posts come across as sexist and patronising. furthermore, it seems that this forum has been used principally as a platform to market the car for sale.

this is a great community of like-minded enthusiasts who are deeply committed to the marque and for the right reasons and i for one would like to see this sense of community and camaraderie maintained in the same way the mods and others have done so for many many years
There wasn't any intention, it was just a joke but as I just said in the previous post every word I said has been taken very seriously.

I didn't use the forum strictly as a possible market, I made a post looking for some help and info but unfortunately it has only been used against me with every post I made. I have no knowledge in Alpina world being this B4S my first one so I found a lot information in other posts here. People really know the stuff! It has been a great place for Alpina related information.

alpb4s

Post by alpb4s » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 pm

PhillV8S wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:49 pm
Whilst accepting that the car in question in this thread is rather unique in how it has popped onto the forum and it’s history I feel it only fair to point out that there is tendency here to persistently down play posted cars values and the nit picking of a car provenance, condition etc can be over the top, especially in the frequency it happens.
I know I am not alone in dreading the day, if it comes that I have to advertise my car for fear of the forensic and frankly pessimistic posts that usually come the way of unfortunate sellers.
It would be nice if we could be more supportive and enthusiastic about the marque, after all we all own/like them as it’s reason we are on the forum after all!
Just my two pennies...
Exactly! Thanks Phil. This is what I thought the forum was about, but seeing how people has been treating my posts I am going to delete my account. The balance between positive/helpful vs criticising posts is really bad, I mean I come to the forum because I got an Alpina and all I've got is a poor experience.

Thanks again Phil, hope your words help to make this forum a better place.

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Ivan,

More often than not humour tends to be missed in the written word. That being the case, if you were being humorous then I apologise for missing it. As for sticking to forum rules, I think I know what they are as I wrote them (that was meant to be humorous by the way). Like all communities, being a newbie can be challenging until people get to know the person. This community is extremely friendly and supportive so it appears you got off on the wrong foot when all you wanted to know was the price you might get for the car (75% of your posts are about price).

This community is hugely knowledgeable and from a pricing point of view, Bob suggested low 40k for a straight car. Bob is the oracle when it comes to the current market so this appears to be right. However, it was also pointed out that, from experience, Cat N status will cut that by 25-30% which brings it down to 28-30k - which is what most here were suggesting.

Finally, I acknowledge that you changed your tune about the work being done after you were helped with understanding how ALPINA can move in mysterious ways.

I'm delighted that you are planning to run the car for a while as that will help you truly appreciate what these very special cars are all about. You never know - you might even decide to keep it.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!