DK Car Reviews

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Jaguar XKR-S Coupe

Post by dodgyken » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am

Jaguar XKR-S Coupe

It is time to thank the parsimonious owners and drivers of hybrids and diesel. Without their stout dedication to duty we would exist in a world where car makers were unable to turn out fuel glugging monsters such as the XKRS. The XKRS is a loud-mouth, hard drinking, harder playing, philandering, womaniser of a car. It is James Hunt in a Saville suit. It is utterly utterly brilliant.

I could end it all here, metaphorically, although literally is a not such a difficult challenge if you attempt to use any more that the gentlest inputs with the throttle - especially in the wet. The XKRS is overpowered in a way that puts a smile on your face everytime the rear end declares independence from the front - and you wait, patiently, as the electronics reach the limit of the "fun" envelope, gather everything up, and you end up questioning what all the fuss was about.

I picked up the Jag (the uar is just redundant in my book) early on a very wet morning. Last time I checked 550ps, RWD and wet roads was always going to be a tricky combination - but throw in the first leaves dropping of Autumn and I knew I would have my work cut out. The first few miles were spent teasing out just how much throttle it would take to get the rear unstuck - the answer is very little - entering the motorway at 70mph with the tail giving a quick wag as you cross the white line was indication enough. The motorway is a good place to start though, it is the Jekyll side of the XKRS, all luxurious, cosseting grand tourer. The suspension, even in dynamic mode, dialing out imperfections in the tarmac, the rorty V8 dropping to barely a whisper, and the excellent seats, like the steering wheel, warming you as the rain got heavier.

Off the motorway the ride edges on the cusp of becoming unstuck my the ruts and bumps that are more common place in towns. It never feels uncontrolled, but there is that sneaking suspicion the engineers perhaps over stiffened things. The answer to that problem is to get out of town, as once you are over 40mph the car irons out the road, cushioning your increasingly rapid progress. With all that power you need some reassurance that 1900kg of sports car can be stopped, rapidly, when required, but the first few cm of movement in the brake pedal gives you little confidence that the huge discs and shiny red calipers are capable of that. Only once you push through that do you discover that the car will stop very quickly, and with absolutely no fuss, whatever the speed and road conditions.

Although there is so much to the car, the overall experience is dominated by the engine. 5 litres of supercharged engineering perfection. It has power and torque in abundance. It will waft you along if hushed silence if you let the ZF 6 speed automatic shift itself OR it wail, howl and bark like a Miller Lite swilling Nascar. The gearshifts might be slow and dimwitted compared to the Alpina, but that never detracts from the noise it will make. A dab of throttle when parked or the move unleashes a noise akin to poking a very large angry bear with a very sharp stick. The equation in Jag-world is very simple - a slow gentle press of the throttle equals a pleasing gentle rounded sound. A sharp poke unleashes a caucophany of violent sound that has you questioning the legaility of the exhaust system. You could spend a lifetime simply prodding the throttle and listening to a sounds that rivals the best.

Despite the engines utter dominance of both the tyres and experience, it would be harsh to suggest that is all there is to the XKRS. It can he hustled along, even the narrowest of roads, with a fair bit of confidence. Beneath the rather bling carbon fibre wings and air intakes lies a chassis that is capable of cashing most of the cheques the engine is writing. The steering, finger light at low speeds, gains weight as the speed (very rapidly) builds. And it provides enough feedback to give you the confidence to brake later and later into the corner, knowing it will respond quick enough should the rear end look to help tighten the line. The truth is, that under braking, where the front goes the rear is happy to follow. Only under power will it remind you of the limits but if you stay within them the XKRS turns from being Grand Tourer into something rather good indeed. The experience that could be all point and squirt between corners becomes something more engaging, more challenging. The harder you drive the more it gels.

Visually the XKRS adds considerably muscle to the base models frame, think Real Madrid Ronaldo compared to when he first arrived at Old Trafford. The result isn't effortless beauty but it is hardly going to struggle to attract attention either. Inside, pretty much any surface that could be covered in beautifully smooth and supple leather, is. With carbon effect leather inserts that will be part of the car's marmite appeal.

This was my second drive of an XK in the space of a year, and I have the F-Type lined up for 3 weeks time. The XKRS shouldn't make any sense. Although the packaging is much improved on the XJS and first XK it remains a car where the interior feels far smaller than the exterior suggests; the high windows and broad shoulders make it a challenge to park; the engine is overpowered for the tyres and chassis, and drinks at a prodigious rate; and the interior, although luxurious, can feel devoid of logic and antiquated compared with best that the Germans can offer. But none of that makes any difference. I love the schizophrenic XKRS - I love the way it can waft you along - I love the way it screams and bellows like a race car - but most of all I love the way it makes me feel. The fact that however short the drive, or however much fuel it has drunk, you can get out of the car feeling happy, feeling that whatever the world has to throw at you, that you will be OK.

So thank you diesel drivers, hybrid owners, thank you, thank you, thank you. Keep saving the worlds resources so we can continue to live in a world where the XKRS still exists.

Kentish man
ALP
ALP

jag

Post by Kentish man » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Dear Dodgyken,many thanks for your opinion of the Jag.Interesting and rather well written , very well written,and no spelling mistakes, which is a fault I abhor.Keep posting.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Jaguar F-Type 3.0S

Post by dodgyken » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 am

Jaguar F-Type 3.0S

Sometimes I struggle to understand why manufacturers name their cars the way they do. There are those that are epic, the Vanquish springs to mind, and there are those that are little too formulaic 328i. But what about the rest? What about Jaguar's new F-type? Is it simply the logical next name in a sequence? C, D, E, F-Type?

I pondered this on Friday afternoon as I fired up the F-Type I had bagged for the weekend. Opting for the "type" designation is a very brave move by Jaguar. The E remains one of the most enchanting and beautiful cars ever made and it is has taken Jaguar almost 40 years to pluck up the courage to use the naming convention again. From the outside the F appears slightly compact, tailored and toned; the way the bulges cover the extremities and the overhangs are kept to a minimum. Inside the theme continues, you are enveloped in a cockpit smothered in supple premium black leather, the controls are immediate – your right hand finding the few buttons and switches that make up the F's well thought out driving position. The F seems to just Fit nicely.

I was 8 years old, when for Christmas I received a whoopee cushion. For those who are not familiar with what one is, it is a rubber bladder which you inflate, place under someone's seat so when they sit down it recreates the sound of them breaking wind. Very juvenile, but as an 8 year old boy it provides endless hours of entertainment.

Switch the F into its dynamic mode, or simple flick the switch to open the exhaust valves, and you are placed back in the body of an 8 year old boy. For each time you flick home a full throttle gear change you are treated to a monumental great fart from the exhaust. Barely 10 minutes have passed and there are already 2 F's in the bank.

One thing that is apparent with the F is that its wheelbase can't quite keep with Jaguar's tradition of superb riding cars. Up against it older, and more mature sibling (the XK), the F's ride can feel a little too transparent. Even in comfort mode imperfections seem to invade the cabin a little more than expected. The difference between that and dynamic mode though is noticeable, with the former being the only option for a long motorway journey. The F's ride might not match up against its siblings but up against rivals it is exquisitely well damped, and despite there being a tad more wind noise than I would expect from a premium convertible, a 3 hour motorway cruise is far from being a discomfort.

The end point of the cruise was the British Classic Car Show in Morges. Where, despite signs saying that there was to be no entry to Jaguar's under 20 years old, the F-Type was waved in without an eyelid being batted. Once parked up by the lake side, the F quickly gathered a crowd of admirers. In the world of British car lovers a new Jaguar is always going to be a big thing – and surrounded by classic and modern Aston Martin's, E-Types and a host of other immaculately maintained classics, the F didn't look out of place. The show is fantastic place to while away an October day – a stunning array of cars are on display, from Alvis' to a surprising number of Triumphs.

The final destination for the day was the small town of Divonne-les-Bains, just over the border in France. Having sampled the F's motorway cruising abilities in the morning, it was time to see how it would reward on more challenging roads. Roof down, dynamic mode selected and a couple of ribbons of wonderful tarmac located it was time to see whether the chassis and engine could match up to the looks.

The F is certainly able to tick Fast off the list. There are faster cars out there, but few are able to deliver the rounded delivery of the F's 380ps supercharged V6. There is no flat spot in the delivery; the power builds strongly from low revs, accompanied by a deep bellow that hardens for the last 2000rpm charge to the rev limiter. Once there the superb 8 speed automatic will refuse to upshift, instead giving you a machine gun staccato as the electronics prevent damage. Get the shifts right though and you are slung up the road on a wave of relentless force. A tsunami of acceleration with each shift issuing a might fart from behind. Overtaking slower moving vehicles is a breeze, the close spacing of gears and broad power delivery meaning that you are never left feeling exposed on the wrong side of the road.

As the road gets twistier the F begins to become real Fun. Even with 275 rubber the F's throttle can't be treated as an on/off switch – especially in the damp. It is far more tractable than an XKR-S, but over indulge on the exit of a corner and the back will take up quite an angle – and that is with the electronics kept on. The more you drive it the more you begin to lean on the brakes, going harder and later in the corner; feeling the F's quite considerable weight helping the nose bite before transferring back onto the throttle, waiting for the exit and then unleashing the power. Once you are dialled into the rhythm of the F your grin widens. It rewards with direct steering and a balance that allows effortless throttle correction.

Things aren't all great in the F though – the reversing camera had a "moment" at one point returning a disrupted signal; and boot space which would struggle for much more than a weekend away – unless you opt for Jaguar's own luggage set. Its saving grace on that front is with the "essentials" (emergency vests, compressor, medical kit) rearranged you can position shopping bags so they don't fall over – handy when the drive home from the supermarket includes a section of challenging road.

The final journey in the F was a 200km motorway schlepp back to the garage, a journey in which package began to gel more and more for me. The performance seats are fantastic and well worth specifying; the Meridian stereo upgrade delivers stunning sound; the sat-nav and cabin controls are surprisingly logical; and the switchgear feels like it is in a premium product. In isolation 140,000chf for a 2 seater convertible looks expensive – but when compared to a similarly specced 911 (at over 170,000chf), it looks like a bargain.

So after 48 hours and 600km what are my final impressions of Jaguar's F-Type. It is certainly Fun and Fast. The exhaust suggests it has Flatulence. It is a perfect Fit as a weekend car. The way it attracted attention at Morges would suggest it was Flirtatious. In truth it is all those and more. It is far more than just the sum of its parts, it is a return to form for Jaguar on the sports car front, and it should deliver the sales the company needs. It really is an utterly utterly Fantastic car.

More Photos

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Volvo V70 T6

Post by dodgyken » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 am

Volvo V70 T6
According to Hollywood if you are sensible, middle aged, socially conscious, and more often or not a housewife (perhaps even desperate) you drive a Volvo estate. Admittedly you may also be of Chilean descent and a drug baron, but I suspect the marketing bods in Gothenburg would prefer we stick to the first grouping. The pidgeonholing was apparent back in the 70s when Gerry and Margo had a 245 parked in their driveway. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Gerry would rather like the latest iteration of Volvo's big estate.

It is big, comfortable, airy, practical, safe and has a surprising turn of pace. A bit like seeing a running back break through the line of scrummage and make the next down. The T6 has a reworked and extended version of Volvos transverse mounted 5 cylinder block - bolt on a twin-scroll turbo and the engine is stated, and feels good for, 285ps and 400nm. The latter exactly matches the torque output of the D5. The engine, in classic modern Volvo style, take a little longer than expected to warm up, but once it does it is whisper quiet. Under full throttle speed is accumulated very quickly - with engine note developing a scream rather then any extra roundness or racey metallic note.

The achilles heel for the Volvo remains the woeful Geartronic gearbox. It is a good old fashioned slushmatic where gear changes are seen as something to take your time over - not to be rushed. Manual shifts can be performed using the lever only - and then using a forward to upshift convention which is far from intuitive. Switching over to manual mode though does have the advantage of forcing the engine to hold a gear when overtaking. With the petrol's sizeable torque band the need to shiftdown becomes unnecessary - a message which hasn't been communicated to the gearbox - which will happily drop a cog or 2 (in slow motion) instead of just pulling you past on a wave of torque.

The ride is full on comfort wallow (at least as long as you stick to the original set up) - imperfections are ironed out and the car floats over the surface isolating driver and passanger from any bumps in the road. It is all rather civilised. The trade off for this comfort are handling characteristic which feel rather antiquated. There is a reasonable amount of grip generated by the big estate but body roll is plentiful. This takes fast motorway entrances/exits off the schedule and removes the possibility of having fun on the back roads. Swap in a set of HEICO springs (I tested 2 cars back to back) and the ride firms up, but not excessively and the handling is transformed. It won't stick with anything Bavarian but it does become quite the cross country tool.

The cabin is perhaps the Volvo's trump card. It does lack the now commonplace control centre approach (iDrive etc) but the controls are neatly laid out, the seats superbly comfortable (although lacking in side support), trimmed in high quality leather and both heated and cooled. The upgraded stereo is thumpingly effective, the navigation marmite in its use and the ambience one of calm.

The Volvo will not win any prizes for dynamics, instead it trades on what has given Volvo its excellent reputation over the last 30 years. Considering the price on the used market, the V70 offers a very different take on the fast 4wd estate to the ubiquitous Audi.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Alpina XD3

Post by dodgyken » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 am

Alpina XD3

I had a plan. A grand vision of what the future would be. Saturday was going to be the beginning. The genesis of the realization. And yet between midday on Friday and 9am on Saturday things all went wrong.

The plan was simple: Part exchange the B3X against a B6S convertible - and buy an X5 3.0D - which is capable of hauling the race-car and trailer round the country.

The plan was blown out of the water when a long standing client bought the B6S on the Friday - and the X5 was also sold. The salesman was keen not to let my trip go to waste. He found out the XD3 could tow 2,400kg - and threw me the keys to the "sold" car saying "Be careful"

For me, an SUV is a bad idea, it offers worse on road dynamics, economy and performance to its normal touring cousin. The only point it could win on was the towing capacity - 2,400kg against 1,800kg for the D3. My initial test route heads out through town - with far from perfect tarmac. I knocked the suspension into SPORT mode and got the chance to experience just how stiffly set up the XD3 can be. The answer is very stiff indeed - and even later knock it down to COMFORT wasn't enough to round off the edges quite as much as I would like for an Alpina. The 8 speed gearbox might well be excellent - but in a diesel, with 700nm, you begin to get lost in the ratios - especially as you escape the 50kmh limit and gun it. Acceleration is beyond brisk - and is accompanied by an engine note which is distinctly undiesel. That is not to say you complete escape the reminder of its compression based power production - but it is a long way from being a Massey Ferguson.

The road winds up out to Trubbuch, over a small ridge and then down into Maienfeld - the home of Heidi. The road has a hairpin, a couple of fast off camber corners, plenty of undulations and a chance to really test the XD3. Even by the hairpin the XD3 was already demonstrating very car like handling properties. The lateral grip it generates is hugely impressive - and the way it will put down 700nm - especially out of low gear corners - is hugely impressive. The engine spins round past 4,500rpm with ease - and the sonorous delivery makes chasing the redline an enjoyable experience. Not something you hear very often about a diesel. Despite the XD3s size it feels relatively compact on the road, it doesn't feel bloated - and will happily nip through smaller than expected gaps.

By the time we parked back up the computer read under 10l/100km, which was remarkable considering the hammering it had taken.

The XD3 is a positively likeable all rounder. It is oddly more characterful than the B3 - perhaps that is the unexpected mix of scary back road capabilities and awesome all round practicality - but I suspect it is more to do with the engine being rather special indeed.

The stumbling block is that specced to the same level as a B3 Touring xDrive will leave your wallet equally empty.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Alpina B5 Touring

Post by dodgyken » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am

Alpina B5 Touring

The second set of keys thrust into my hands is a car that has sat for 2 years on their forecourt. A dark green Alpina B5 Touring. A big, heavy, beast of a car. With the engine not properly warmed as I was asked to reverse my normal test route!!

Slipping into D and then over to M mode, noting the PLUS and MINUS signs on the wheel I became aware of how the E6x interior was beginning to date. The wood trim, although beautiful, combining to leave the car feeling slightly older than its 7 years. Not that I was worried, slipping away, shifting early, the B5 wafted - proper, old school, wafted. The ride is equisite. Ironing out imperfections with stunningly selected spring rates and wonderful dampers.

Accelerating onto the motorway the B5 suddenly felt slow - well slow in comparison to the XD3, it wasn't until I realised was in 5th, in a 6 speed box did it twig that despite 700nm, 2,000kg was still going to take some shifting from low revs. Cruising though is what the B5 is all about. The suspension isolating those inside from any outside noise and vibrations - and the engine offering more than enough shove on the lightest of throttle openings.

Heading onto the twisties the B5 suddenly begins to feel big. Proper big. Where the XD3 shrunk, the B5 grew. Feeling slightly unwieldy as the corners approach. A big part of that comes from the speed that has to be scrubbed each time you get to one. After a couple of them the brakes began to grumble as the speed was shed. Dynamically the B5 is a long way behind the XD3 - where the XD3 darts for the corner and grips - the B5 rolls in and without a slippy diff can't be adjusted quite as easily on the throttle. Corner exits are where the B5 excels though - too much throttle and the back, naturally slides out, keep your foot in and the power builds ferociously - and the horizon gobbled up like pac-man on "blue". It is vastly different to either the XD3 or the M5 I have driven previously. And despite 8 cylinders and a supercharger the engine note never really becomes that exciting.

Allow the gearbox to work things out for itself and the changes I super smooth, slurred between each shift - and returning the B5 to the super-barge it ultimately it. The B5 is a wonderful mile muncher - I know I would be as fresh at the end of a 1,000km cruise as as the start. This capability ultimately compromises its ability to deliver the thrills on the back roads. You are left wondering how good it could be with the adaptive suspension from the XD3

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Tow-car search
Being that none of the following test drives were hugely interesting I thought I would roll them into 1 single blog post

2008 Touareg 4.2 FSI
Despite the obvious downsize of having a humongous thirst, something has always attracted me to V8 powered SUVs. Until now I could never really justify one. With my towing requirements now nudged over the 2000kg mark - and most probably north of what even the best estates can manage (VW R36 - 2200kg if you are interested) it was time to go SUV hunting.

To be honest the Touareg would be easy prey to even the most inept shot. Not because of the number of them to be found (they are very popular) but because, in the his case, the car was lame. It is never a good sign when you turn up 30 mins early for a test drive to see the saleman jump starting the car. Even less so when the idle seems distinctly rough - especially when horror strories of chain guides rattle around in your head.

Pulling away gently revealed a pretty horrid noise at 1200rpm - again at 1400rpm - and delivered a hattrick at 1800rpm. I was tempted to stop right then - and with the engine light stuck firmly on I was urging caution. The salesman just told me to carry. And so I did. Discovering the light actually translated as "this will be the worse test drive of your life". The engine was limp, lame, and close to pining for the fjords. Once over 2000rpm it would rev quickly to the redline - but that was followed by horrid gear change - a realisation you were going to quick - a lift - a shuffle into 6th gear - and then nasty noises from the bonnet.

Aside from the mechanical woes the Touareg (2-facelift) is not a bad bit of kit. The air suspension and adjustable dampers, with the latter in sport mode, meant that handling and ride were both pretty impressive. It would lurch into corners if provoked - but grip felt reasonable. Unlike the brakes, which despite doing their job never really inspired. The nappa trim interior felt expensive - and the wood lifted it from being a rather sombre place.

Ultimately though I never felt the love.

Tiguan 2.0 TDI Track and Field
Back in the day, when the Tiguan was first launched, I was out in Germany working for a race team at the WTCC in Germany, and we had a Tiguan from a magazine. With a fleet report to post I was tasked with getting some suitably East German inspired photos - a field of windmills was the first effort, but the second, at an abandoned railway station were the best. All of which is of little interest, except to say that after 5 days and 2000km I had become quite fond of the small VW SUV.

The Track and Field though was picking a fight on this test drive though. It is now touted and being able to pull 2,400kg - and so I was expecting a little more from the 177ps diesel engine then I ended up getting. Even from standstill it lacked sparkle. Torque arrived quite brutally and was accompanied by a diesel rattle which harps back to the day of the sooty pumpe-duse engines that began the mid-range diesel power games. The DSG remains the star turn of the package, shifting gears quickly and effortlessly - although with a decidingly eco based shifting pattern - and determination to hold a higher gear.

Inside the Tiguan is very utilitarian - if the utilitarian had moved to Notting Hill and named its first son Tarquin. There is leather, reversing camera, navigation and heap of other luxuries. But none of them made it feel luxurious. The centre armrest and gearstick felt too low, the dash too high and the roof lining too, well VW.

I can't remember the ride or handling being bad, which means I can't remember being good either. It just was. The Tiguan remains an impressive bit of kit - but it goes about its role in such a characterless fashion.

2008 Land Rover Discovery TDV6
A long time ago I had a series of very old, very practical and very boxy Volvos. All of them had the venerable, and in the hands of bored scandanavians very tunable, B230 based engines. This is the legendary "red block" and despite performance in the standard models only just nudging acceptable it did have one very redeeming feature and that was the sound the fan made as you accelerated. An almost roar.

So it was with much joy that pulling away in the big Disco that I noticed it did the same thing. The second surprise was just how lively it felt. Not quick. Not sprightly. But lively. Fit for purpose you might say. The engine felt smooth - easy to rev, no peaky delivery and once at speed whisper quiet.

Which was fantastic, for 1km, until the engine warning light came on, and we were forced to experience limp home mode.

2007 Touareg 3.0 TDI
The first rule, according to the experts, of buying a Touareg is to buy the 3.0TDI.

To which I can categorically answer, No it isn't. Or not an early one anyway. Theoretically the 3.0 engine produces 225ps - in practice you never close enough to peak power to find out. 6-pot diesels are meant to sound smooth - this one didn't. 6-pot diesels are supposed to provide smoother torque transition. This one didn't.

Now combine that with an interior/specification that appeared to have come over all Defender - and you end up with a vehicle which just felt that it was miles off the pace. The standard suspension wallowed and yet did nothing to smooth away imperfections. The leather felt hardwearing - but provided as much textural pleasure as a Rhino hide. The interior felt gloomy and depressing.

I didn't like it too much

2011 Discovery 5.0
One of the fundamentals of man-maths is that any budget can accomodate any purchase as long as the maths work. So doubling up on the purchase price for a V8 Discovery could be countered by it having a V8 - and to hell with the stupid economy and the fact it cost more to buy. It would be rash, stupid and irresponsible to make such a purchase.

And so I didnt.

And only now am I understanding how close I came. If the dealer had offered a slightly better deal I would have done. To answer the question, YES it really was that good.

First up the interior, black again, but this time it felt Range Rover in its execution. Leather topped dash, premium plastics, excellent seats, good dash layout and design. It felt superb. Secondly, on road dynamics. Just to be clear I don't mean the Disco will tackle back road with aplomb, but that doesn't matter - what it does have is a stunning ride - combined with an ability to punch a big hole in the air without making any noise at all. Thirdly that engine. This is no Buick derived lump, or an enlarged hand me down from BMW. This is the latest Jaguar designed 5.0 direct injection V8, and it is a work of absolute beauty. In needs the thinnest of oil (0w20)and you can feel that in the way it revs, crisply, quickly and with a wonderful sound. It imbues the Disco with quite a turn of pace. Bury the long travel throttle and the nose lifts like a powerboat and it positvely piles on the speed. It kind of feels like strapping yourself to a Rhino - getting people to poke it with a sharp stick or 2 - and then let it charge off into the distance. It is positively mental.

Take that, throw in the fantasic interior - and the realisation that 20mpg was actually achievable and not just some EU beaurocrats pipedream and the Discovery was making a very good case for itself. There was, however, a fly in the ointment.

2008 Land Rover Discovery TDV6 - Part 2
This might appear like a Pulp Fiction inspired way to finish a test drive report, but truth be told, this is a chronological report. So, despite breaking down on the test drive, I went back for more. It turned out all she needed was a new battery, so I gave it another go.

The thing is, this Disco was done right, high spec (all the toys), dark blue metallic, towbar - and an interior of beige leather and wood. You couldn't get more Country Casuals catalogue if you tried.

Now remember, on this test drive I was doing everything I could to man maths me into the 5.0, so the deck was stacked against the diesel. It was down on every meaningful measure - it had half the power (190 vs 385ps); 20% less torque (420 vs 510nm); it was older; had clocked far more KM; and whole redeeming feature (economy) wasn't offering a huge advantage (28mpg vs 20mpg). And yet something seemed to gel with the diesel. The power was smooth in its delivery. It never felt lacking (despite the numbers) and the ride was no worse than its newer sibling. The interior lacked the top end plastics, felt a little worn and in some of the controls, dated, but the colour combination made it feel light and welcoming.

I drove 20 miles trying to make the man maths work in favour of the V8 - but everytime I did the diesel just delivered. Throw in the fact it was half the price - and has a towbar - and as much as I would have liked to get the V8 - the diesel won out.

And so I now prepare for life without the hugely dependable Saab estate - but with a Land Rover. I think man maths was at work after all!

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

BMW M3 E46

Despite the Discovery never feeling as underpowered as 190ps for 2500kg should feel it was dropped off this morning to be tweaked - to a more suitable 223ps and 550nm. I was thrown the keys of an E46 M3 for the day while the Disco was being tended to.

It has been 8 years since I last drove BMW's M incarnation of the E46, and I remember at the time being underwhelmed by the car. It had never felt as electric as I had expected it to. So what about this time? And what about that SMG box?

To be frank the gearbox does dominate the driving experience, whether at low speed or charging up through the gears, there is no escaping that the gearbox robs the car of some of its magic. Parking, pulling out and pootling around (in manual mode) isn't too much of a problem - although the first two require you to leave your mechanical sympathy at home and ignore the wear on the clutch. It is pressing on where the gearbox really spoils the fun. Pulling the levers sends a message to the gearbox - which it thinks about - and then executes. The changes are then delivered in a brutal manner - and when downshifting the lack of a blip that has now become so common.

It is unfair though to focus solely on the E46's achilles heal - it would be like saying the E9x B3 is ruined by relatively slow throttle response. The M3 has an awful lot to be thankful for - a stunning engine, tractable at low revs, deep bassy sound as things start moving and then an electric metallic howl as you move past 5000rpm. The ride is firmer but the damping just abouts manages to keep on top of that - although rough surfaces have it beaten. The steering is accurate and a lot faster than the B3. It telegraphs far better what the front end is doing and you get the feeling you could happily nail the apex every time - and finish the corner steering with the back end.

Time has certainly diminished the M3s appeal - 3000rpm at 80mph on the motorway is no longer acceptable - in any car, certainly less so in one touting 343ps. But there it has enough to warrant it being included in a shopping list of "cars of a certain age". The engine alone is worth the purchase price - scintillating throttle response and a stunning array of sounds through the rev range make it a joyful place to be.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

VW Passat TDI

Post by dodgyken » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:05 am

2001 VW Passat TDI

Have I gone mad, a 14 year old, diesel, VW, Estate!!! Why on earth was I driving one of these? Especially the tractor 1.9 TDI version! Well, our driving has changed, and with daily trips across Zurich and a future commute to Luzern on the cards economy was the order of the day.

With a low budget set (due to impending nuptuals, a house purchase and a possible fleet rejuggle (again)) it was off to the local dealers to see what could be found - an A2 1.6FSI caught my eye - well 3 of them, A2s not eyes. The first sold 20mins before I arrived to see it, the second had a knackered engine and the third the dealer never answered the phone. Then there was a Saab 9-5 3.0tdi which was never ready for a test drive and had the spectre of the "least reliable engine in the world" hanging over it.

And so we found ourselves stood on a muddy forecourt checking out a 2001, 1 owner, 192,000km VW Passat TDI estate. About as bland as you can get in Switzerland. The thing is as I poked around redeeming features could be found, it was confirmed to be 1 owner, serviced every year at VW with the cambelt having been down the year before. The bodywork was shiny, rust and dent free. The interior only showed signs of age of the soft covered hard plastics (door handles), but the velour-esque seats felt good and the fabric was unmarked. The engine clattered into life in the best PD style and spooled nicely as it cleared its exhaust pipes.

Pulling away both the clutch and brakes were a world away from the 328 - the brake pedal alert and the clutch light and springy. A few jerky changes followed as we pootled round to the motorway. Giving it some beans required pressing the long throttle to the carpet and a few rapid shifts but it was quick to show that 130 diesel horses pull rather nicely. Radio off and dialed into a 80mph cruise and the engine settled into a deep bassy rumble rather than anything too clattery. The decent length 6th gear ensured plenty of twist was available from 60mph but the engine never droaned at a decent lope. The motorway is clearly the Passat's natural habitat - a soft ride easing away the worst of the imperfections. The flipside is that a piece of twisting tarmac is never going to entertain. I'd like to say you can drive it "on the nose" in classic FWD fashion, but you can't. It could be described as "nose lead" but that is only if your nose likes going straight into trees. It never engages, it has the grunt to scramble out of corners with real verve but too much throttle and it will lose traction and have you lifting off. Trail braking doesn't help as the weight transfer defeats rather than enables the front wheels.

Stood back on the forecourt I had to disenage my "driving" brain, this car has a very different role to fulfill. So with heavy heart the 328 was traded in for the Passat.

Prologue
Since then the car has spent its time commuting back and forth across Zurich, and the usual local running around. In similar driving the 328 was clocking around 23mpg, the Passat is around 37mpg. Which should improve once the longer motorway trips become the norm

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:27 am

Saab 9-5 2.3t

About 2 weeks ago friends contacted me in distress - their Golf (1.8T) had decided to munch its clutch and leave them car less. And could I do them a favour and tell them what I thought of the replacement they were off to view. I did my best, but how can you describe a 3,000chf Mitsubishing Space Star positively.

Well I couldn't, and so I put my car hunting hat on and went forth to find something that would match to their requirements. Cheap and reliable - and with twins under 1 year old, I went for safe, threw in the need for 2 sets of wheels (summer/winter) and fresh service and inspection. Clocking only 3-5k km per year - economy was not high on the agenda, but still a consideration.

Half an hour later I pinged them a link to a 1800chf Saab 9-5 2.3t - 4-door, automatic, nice selection of toys - in BROWN! (at the dealer from whom I had bought the Passat)

With the thumbs up I headed over to check out the car. Discussion followed - it will be 1800chf plus 600-700chf tested and serviced - ready to go. 2 sets of wheels - check. Start up without blue smoke - check. No oil pump whine - check. Heated seats working - check. Test drive time then!!

I'll put my hand up and say I rather like Saabs, especially the seats. Oh the seats. Taking comfort to the Nth degree, trimmed in thick hard wearing but supple leather, nicely warmed - perfection. And these were no different - with only 160,000 km on the clock they felt new and driving out they just felt right.

The first you notice, or don't, about the Saab is the engine noise - or complete lack of it. At tickover when cold it isn't super quiet but on the move barely a whisper as the turbo boosts smoothly and the gearbox shuffles effortlessly and early. The box is determined to get into 4th or 5th as quickly as possible, and then hold the 2 direct gears as long as possible. Combine that with ample torque and the 9-5 wafts along serenely. A heft stab at the brake pedal reveals some serious stopping power to match the car's ability to pile on the speed. Flipping on cruise control and allowing the car to assume a wafty motorway cruise and things start to feel "right". The driving position is spot on, buttons are to hand, if slightly randomly arranged and the upgraded stereo capable of serious sound. The ride is effortless, passenger friendly and the whole combination works to make the big Saab a pleasing place to be.

Tackling the twisties should be enough to discover the Saab's achilles heel, and certainly the Vectra based chassis and heavy nose are the car's defining handling characteristics but the buyers are not those looking to tackle an alpine pass at full chat. Even so it was worth exploring and it showed that it isn't actually as bad as I was expecting. The front wheels take far more mid-corner provocation than I had expected and with a controlled right foot you can line up corner exit overtakes with ease. The torque rich engine then pulling you past on a super quick kickdown - before shuffling back up to 5th

I came away happy that my Saab pedestal remained intact - they really did make lovely cars for a certain type of buyer - and the friends I was checking the car for are those types of buyer.

Prologue
Since the test they have gone to see the car with a Rover collecting friend of ours, who also took it for a spin (the owner is currently nursing a broken ankle). They were all impresed by the way the car went, the seats and the utterly over engineered pop out cup holder! Agreement to buy post service etc is in place!

And for no reason at all I want to buy one too!

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:44 am

Range Rover Sport 5.0SC
Last year I had been let down by someone owing me a favour so in mid-November he asked if there was anything he could do for me. I said a nice 5.0SC Range Rover would be nice for Christmas. This time he delivered!!

In hindsight it was the perfect time to have the car - the slightly unwell Disco had got progressively worse, and spending the Christmas period with my parents and an unwell car wasn't going to be too clever. I collected it Saturday evening before Christmas - driving the Disco down and picking up the RRS. The collection point is always colder and windier than home and jumping into the isolated cabin was a relief. The 5.0 engine fired into life with a nice bark, quickly dropping to a pleasent idle with just a hint of aggression. With the ventilated seats set to "warm me up fast" and the heated wheel turned, I slipped it into D and headed out. Pootling along it felt alert and taught, the throttle response crisp, acceleration instant with the gearbox always feeling like it was in the best of the 8 gears. Heading onto the motorway it was time to give it the beans, and boy does it have plenty to give. The back end squats slightly as the whole car graps at the tarmac and pulls it backwards with all its might - sending you hurtling to wards the horizon at a rate of knots thought barely possible in such a beast. Once onto the motorway I gave it a chance to retrun to normality, flicking on the much improved active cruise control (at a steady 75mph) and cruising back home. The KMs drifted past effortlessly with the engine never straining and the cruise control far more subtle with its inputs. Perhaps the most staggering part being the 30mpg showing on the dash when I got in.

The cabin of the latest RRS is beautifully trimmed and the controls nicely weighted. The sat-nav/integrated control unit can be a little frustrating and I am yet to be convinced touchscreen is the way to go in a car; the ventilated seats aren't as quick to heat up as normal heated seats; and the car never seemed to squat as much when getting in or out. The boot also seemed rather compact - and with news that it could be specced with additional 2 seats a bit of a shock.

About a week the snow arrived - arguably the most snow I have seen in the lowlands in 10 years over here. Thoughts that 500PS might be a Pirelli Sottozero clad Range Rover were quickly dispelled. It would take very deliberate and very aggressive provocation to get it to dance on the road - which I obviously did, and the feel of 2+tonnes drifting gracefully out of junctions was rather amusing. It also did a fantasic job of clearing driveways - barging through 30cm of snowploughed lip to make space for either itself or another car. Occasionally lights would blink on the beautiful TFT dashboard but most of the time the torque was shuffled around and RRS kept true. I suspect it was this behaviour that resulted in a close to EU figure 22mpg over 2 tanks of petrol - and that was despite it having stop/start technology.

I was rather sad to see it go back after 2 weeks. I have absolutely no place in my fleet for such a vehicle but driving around with such power under your right foot on a daily basis becomes incredibly intoxicating.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Aston Martin Rapide S
A year ago Astons failed to make my shortlist to replace the Alpina - staggering running costs and weight were the 2 sticking points. However for this last weekend I needed something indulgent with 4 seats - and an email and some behind the scenes string pulling had me picking up the keys to a Rapide S on Friday morning.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, I certainly had never been bowled over by the lengthy mid-section of the car in pictures and the flesh, and never really saw the point of it. "My" Rapide sat purposefully outside the dealer - the bigger signature grill looked menancing from the front and deep lustered black paint did much to shrink the Rapides bulk. Slightly chav black and polished wheels aside the exterior looked the perfect gentleman's express. Inside things took a further step up with the full leather/alcantara pack - ensuring every surface was soft to touch and the equisitely comfortable sports seats were covered in a diamond/spade/quilted leather which just oozed a high price tag. On a luxury car there is requirement for it to feature every possible driver comfort. All well and good in a "designed" Mercedes or BMW - but in an Aston featuring an aged dash this means a haphazard approach to controls. The nice centrally mounted controller is actually for the seat climate control - with the navigation and entertainment (still using Volvo displays) control mounted at the bottom of the centre section - and simply replicates the old behind the wheel controller. That niggle aside the interior felt more GT than luxury saloon, a feeling amplified once the 12 cylinders fire into life.

Clearing its throat briefly before settling into a nice burble you are left in no doubt what sits beneath the Rapide's long curved bonnet. Pressing D and the Rapide moves off without fuss, ZF's superb gearbox shuffling up the cogs very quickly. The throttle feels languid and slow, but eases through town it allows the Rapide to play the luxury saloon with consummate ease. As the roads open up though it is best to depress the sport button, allow the exhaust note to rise a little, the throttle to adopt a more aggressive curve and the gearbox to hold each cog a little longer. The transformation is impressive, the engine spins up rapidly - especially once past 3000rpm - at which point there is not an engine note around that could hold a candle to the Aston. Manual upshifts are smacked home and the acceleration never stops. Point it up a motorway sliproad and you are upto speed quickly and effortlessly, and once you are flip it back into D, cut the sport mode and let it pull along at 50mph/1000rpm in 8th - with clever engine technology allowing it to record 30mpg on a cruise!!

There is little point having the "practical" Aston if you can't pick up 2 people from the airport and load their luggage in the back. In doing so it becomes clear the Rapide is more 4-person GT than anything else. The boot does swaller soft bags nicely - and with boot in flat mode it will handle 2 medium suitcases (with load cover removed) - but it excels with soft bags and again with the boot floor in flat mode suit-bags.

You might be starting to think the Rapide was never taken for a play and I'll admit I never it pushed to the extreme but you never really need to. It will effortlessly piling on more speed than you think, with the big digital speed display helping indicate by just how much you'll lose your licence. Start tackling the back roads with a bit of verve and you have to adjust your driving style. The nose is a very heavy place in the Rapide and despite the transaxle it is the turn-in that dictates the Rapide's progress. That is not to say you can't lean on the nose, you can, but the Rapide's bulk and long wheelbase means it never feels entirely natural. Instead get the turn in completed quickly and be back on an open throttle by the apex and the Rapide starts to shake off its bulk. Sequential direction changes are controlled well by the Aston's expensive suspension. Body roll is nicely managed and the ride quality is really very good indeed. Not every bump is totally isolated but it feels taut, supple and controlled.

4 days with the Rapide was enough for it to get under my skin. It isn't a proper 4-seater in the traditional sense, the rear seats are very low resulting in 6 footers having a "chin on knee" position, but with isofix it certainly would work for small children. Boot-space means that pushchairs are out but the availablility of isofix certainly makes it useable.

The flaws that shouted so loudly on Friday morning all but vanished by Tuesday morning as the Rapide's character shone through. It makes no sense what so ever, which is show by its lack of a true rival. In fact it is probably safe to say that its biggest rival is its own DB9. Consider a Rapide as a more practical DB9 and it is a clear winner - pitch it against a Panamera and you'll be left wanting.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Saab 9-5 2.8T XWD

Post by dodgyken » Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 am

Saab 9-5 2.8T XWD

Since it debuted I have had a soft spot for the run out Saab 9-5. Not sure why, but having owned a 9-3 since, I suspect it boils down to a cabin that just works and some nice Swedish quirks. Yesterday I got the chance to drive one - not just for a giggle, but as a possible replacement for the Disco.

From the outside it is handsome in a big butch way, it appears scaled up with everything just a little bit bigger than normal but nothing out of proportion. Inside the key gets stowed by the cup holders and the starter button is down by the handbrake - little changes. The seats immediately feel right, the dash slopes away at a nice angle and the 3 dial instrument panel, supplemented by HUD, looks good. Fire the V6 up and your more likely to hear the rustle of leaves on an autumnal day than the engine. The long gear lever seems odd, as if the designers were hell bent on putting something in the cabin that doesn't fit.

Pulling away the car is no slouch, it won't set any records but it had a useful midrange. Pushing any harder seems unnecessary, the engine note doesn't improve the higher you go and the torque feels to drop off. On the motorway, cruising is effortless, the 'intelligent' chassis keeps things subtle but the first inkling on there being something inherently wrong with the cars setup start to filter through. The steering, even when cruising, seems oddly inert and that soft suspension feels more wallowy than loose limbed and well damped. As if it was deliberately designed to be that antithesis of its German rivals.

Pootling through town it never feels like it a premium saloon - the at first sight cool green HUD begins to look dated and selecting a navigation destination isn't the delightfully intuitive process you'd expect. The gearbox also shows its lack of finesse, changes are smooth when progress is smooth but a quick junction exit and it can tie its self in knots.

Pointing the car down a back road, with "sport" mode selected on the chassis dial and with the knowledge that the excellent Haldex-5 XWD system is in charge of torque shuffling, there is an expectation that it will hold a candle to the rivals. In fact it does give it a pretty good go, sport mode tightens things up and with the windows down there is an engine worth listening to when pushing on but that is really as good as it is ever going to get. Pitch it into a sequence of bends and the chassis starts playing catchup after each corner - with the dampers never really controlling the car's mass. The XWD does work excellently on uphill sections, when the throttle can be used to shuffle the torque rearward and understeer is dialled out, but on downhill sections the back is reluctant to assist the front, even when provoked to do so, leaving the nose to carry the burden of responsibility.

Drifting back through town I was left to ponder what could have been, the finishing touches of the 9-5 were rushed - the cabin creaks in a number of contact places, the start of the centre console where your right leg rests and the centre armrest in particular feel more 1990s Rover than 2010 BMW. The engine is muscular and with a better gearbox and more agile chassis could have proven to by quite exciting. Dropping the keys off at the dealer I could have made a case for the 9-5 - sat at 80mph across France I am convinced it would be possible to arrive 1000km later as fresh as the start of the journey, but for my use I couldn't justify it in the fleet - although it might be down to what was driven earlier. (see next).

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 am

Alpina B5S

Saturday wasn't my first time behind the wheel of an E6x Alpina and potentially it may well not be my last. First time out I had driven just driven an XD3 and against that the B5 Touring felt sluggish and dim witted. This time though the stakes were raised - the Alpina packing 30 extra horses, 25 extra twisties, a slippy diff and the all important EDCs.

First impressions aren't based on what is under the bonnet nor a simple centre console button, they are based on how a car sits - the image it gives. The B5S looks smart - the saloon lines vastly improved by the simple adding of a more substantial front bumper, the little flick of a boot spoiler and 20" wheels which just look right under its arches. From the front the car looks almost petite and noticablly narrow than its M brethern. Inside the car sported an interesting mix of options - nappa leather but in non-extended form, with wonderful dark wood and head up display all capping a middle of the road spec sheet. With the door open, firing it up revealed a pleasing if not brutal V8 burble, the odd blip or 2 layering on the supercharger sound.

One of the nicest things about the E6x is the adaptability of the comfort seats and the steering wheel - extending leg bolsters, squeezing side cushions, double angling the seat back, moving the wheel in nice and close - the result is a wonderfully comfortable driving position but nudged slightly towards attack mode.

With driving position selected and test route planned in my head I started out in full comfort mode, lazy throttle repsonse, soft dampers and the gearbox shuffling away, rapidly but smoothly. Much is written about the 6HP gearbox that ZF lead the way with in the era of 6-sp autos, but with the Alpina software it is about as good as you can get - even up against the 8HP which superceded it. Gunning it onto the motorway it held gears when needed and then quickly moved into 6th and a 2000rpm 75mph cruise. It is only then you wish for a 7th or 8th gear - which gives an indication of just how effortless the car feels and how, despite the sizeable wheels, the suspension deals with any imperfections.

A motorway cruise deals with only part of car's character and heading into a nearby village, a gateway to some more interesting tarmac, told another, the B5S' plentiful low end grunt - 5th gear at 50kmh low end grunt. Exiting the village the car's lack of width made a first overtake on narrow roads easy to plan, and with 3rd gear the chosen weopon, over in a matter of seconds. Its party trick was the then rapids shifts into a higher gear (to stay vaguely legal) and, with the EDC dampers in Sport, a positive loopy pace for the road type. Village to village sections could be dispatched in just a few seconds with a 4th gear pull and then a lift and coast, a more than adequate demonstration of the cars intent.

There comes a moment on a test drive where a car either clicks or it doesn't, the Saab later on demonstrated that perfectly, but in one corner the Alpina clicked. With a clear road ahead and behind I barrelled up to an uphill, open, right hand hairpin - paved in beautiful pothole free tarmac. It cried out for 2nd gear and heroics - I opted for 3rd and discretion, I gambled on the torque and slippy diff coming together in perfect harmony. I pitched the car in on a slight trailing brake feeling the back end stay solid and tracking true, the nose locating the apex as I transitioned to the throttle and then smoothly applied just a few % more throttle than was entirely necessary. The Alpina responded with the most elegant, natural and controllable rear slip you could dream of. Not wild steering angles with smoke billowing from the rear arches but just enough to have the steering pointing straight well before the end of the corner.

Despite the progress that was made on sections of the drive the OBD reports economy of 12l/100km on my return to the dealer - which would suggest that in normal use the official figures aren't that unrealistic.

The B5S made an extraordinary case for itself with a fantastic combination of cross country pace and cross continent capabilities - but it is now over to the wife for a second visit this weekend to decide whether this is hugely capable car can find its place into my fleet.

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:52 am

Mercedes Benz CLS AMG Shooting Brake

(I apologise for the very late posting of this)

A few months back a well healed friend of mine was off to test the AMG GT. He already has the 45 and Mercedes were flickering their eyelids in his direction after he mentioned an imminent 458 purchase. So I joined him (with the Morgan) in Zug to check out the car.

At this point my love for the Morgan had waned slightly (this was pre-B5s) and I was becoming frustrated with not using it much and fueling the Disco - with although indomitable required more fuel than entirely necessary to do anything.

In the back of the showroom I spotted a rather nicely specced CLS 63 shooting brake - completely with the wooden rear floor. I enquired, they threw me the keys and I went for a drive.

The first thing that jumped out at me was not the AMG engine but the cabin, it felt "right". The lovely clock in the middle of the dash, the stubby gear lever, the seats, the whole lot. If felt low, sleek and sporty, and yet a glance in the rearview mirror reminded me that this carried the practicality card.

Out on the road it felt Mercedes-esque, a soft edge to the springs and some controlled damping ensuring the car never really revealed its hardcore side, until the moment the loud pedal was pushed just that little bit harder, at which point the gods of thunder unleash their full force and the 63 chirps its way along. Despite reviews abounding of the CLS being capable of keeping the full AMG set of horses under control the truth is it can't, if the tarmac isn't perfectly dry you can forget pulling away with a healthy dose of throttle as the backend squirms and chirps as it tries to translate horses to progress. Once moving though that progress becomes rapid and it has an uncanny ability to change direction and stay balanced, feeling much lighter than the scales would suggest.

I handed back the keys thinking I rather liked it - not automotive perfection but a decent stab at something slightly leftfield which is useable and brutally quick. Well done Mercedes.
2010 Aero 8 Supersport | 2008 Alpina B5s | 2004 BMW X3 3.0D | 1996 BMW M3 Evo (non road-legal)