Rant about E36 'M3 wannabe' drivers

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
Ikule
ALPINA
ALPINA

Rant about E36 'M3 wannabe' drivers

Post by Ikule » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Went out for a bit of a run in the country this afternoon generally sticking to the limit as appropriate with an occasional cobweb blasting moment thrown in,

I then notice I've been latched onto by an early E36 (blue over grey plastic lower sill/bumper section) who seems to think my occasional cobweb moments are some kind of challenge/race,
I carry on as I have been whilst keeping a wary eye on the rear view mirror in case this berk thinks of trying a 'succeed or die' Schumacher move,
indeed he is getting close at times then dropping back,
eventually we get onto a straight section of gentle downhill A-road (60 mph limit) I pull out and proceed to overtake a slower car in front doing 40, first checking that Mr Berk hasn't already pulled out, he hadn't,
but by mid overtake he is right there on my rear bumper so close I can't see his headlights in my rear view mirror :evil: :evil: :evil:

I complete the overtake safely and give Mr Berk a 'signal' :wink: that I disapprove of his driving style,
after that he hangs back at a safe distance (at last!) as we cruise into a 40mph area just at the end of this straight section.

Honestly do these people really think their E36 316i/318i/325i is on a par with a 5 series that has a badge on the back saying 3.2 and Alpina??

We hit a dual carriageway a couple of miles later and.......lets just say he then found out how slow his 3 really was....... :lol:

Sorry for that but I feel much better now :D
Steve C

'98 B10 3.2 #88 (for summer cruising)
'04 Mini Cooper S (commuting/sacrificial shopping trolley target....)
'94 325i Coupe SOLD
'88 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i SOLD
'90 Astra MkII GTE 16V (Turbo conversion) SOLD

Philrose
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Philrose » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I took our new D3 BT out for its first run since we bought it yesterday. Went down the M40 to visit a National Trust property near Brackley and had exactly the same situation. Now I am used to this sort of behaviour when we use our M Roadster and few cars can live with that but I had no idea how the Alpina would perform.
I do now :D :D :D
This other BMW disappeared so rapidly in my rear view mirror it was embarrassing.
Mightly impresssed with the mid range torque.
Think we are going to enjoy this car as a stablemate to the Roadster.
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Never trade luck for skill."

Alpina D3BT - no 364 - Wifeys
Alpina B3S BT cabrio no 235 - Mine
Yes, we have one each

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

This is one of the reasons I gave up E36 ownership .
It just did my nut in with every pikey and family member having one and popping an M3 badge on the bootlid thinking they were the Daddy Shiz
The first thing I did when I got my old M3 evo saloon was debadge it as everybody wanted to race you. The E36 has a very poor image now.
Although this had led to a two teir E36 society. Those neglected hunks of scrap rattling around councile estates and the rarer unmolested Alpinas, 328i Sports and M3's Good uns are hard to find these days
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Ikule
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Ikule » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 am

ali-bumble wrote:This is one of the reasons I gave up E36 ownership .
It just did my nut in with every pikey and family member having one and popping an M3 badge on the bootlid thinking they were the Daddy Shiz
The first thing I did when I got my old M3 evo saloon was debadge it as everybody wanted to race you. The E36 has a very poor image now.
Although this had led to a two teir E36 society. Those neglected hunks of scrap rattling around councile estates and the rarer unmolested Alpinas, 328i Sports and M3's Good uns are hard to find these days
Yes I remember the E30 going through a similar phase, then once the tat had fallen by the wayside (or scrapyard) you are left with the cherished cars and their enthusiast owners,
trouble is the the current E36 idiots will be moving into the E46's in the next couple of years and the cycle will continue :roll:
Steve C

'98 B10 3.2 #88 (for summer cruising)
'04 Mini Cooper S (commuting/sacrificial shopping trolley target....)
'94 325i Coupe SOLD
'88 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i SOLD
'90 Astra MkII GTE 16V (Turbo conversion) SOLD

Bruce M
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bruce M » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 pm

On a more general level, annoying drivers not specifically E36.....

I've never "raced" anyone on the roads. A few times, I've had a "jolly" in various cars with another driver either in-tow or in-front but never attempted to race another driver.

So...... why... when I'm late, in a hurry and pressing on, do some other drivers consider it a challenge. To uphold their "honour" they have to play silly bu66ers, attempt to pass or cut in or just be a distraction when I'm focused on any slower traffic or hazards ahead.

A couple of times, at traffic lights or similar, while I can see them staring over in my peripheral vision..... I've even faked a slow delberate check of my watch. Like I'm miming, "oops, I'm late and I don't give a f$$k about you".
--------
Gone but not forgotten

danlimb

Post by danlimb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Being a regular Motorway commuter, I see these types of 'activities' a lot.

One particular journey springs to mind, where I was mostly travelling in the middle or fast lanes pressing on to get home, it was reasonably busy, but still fast flowing.

A car decided to indicate and pull out from the middle lane just as I was passing, so he had to swerve back into the middle lane.
This was somehow deemed my fault by said driver.

The next 15 miles were spent with me continuing my journey as if nothing had happened, whilst this p***k in a 1 series with an 'M' badge was undertaking, weaving and swerving down the slower moving two lanes in a desperate bid to get past me.

What is all that about then??? :shock:

Dan

biffa
ALPI
ALPI

Post by biffa » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 pm

It happens alot,i find no matter what they drive,sometimes their skills are below parr,i've had a few laughs, even with a 911 tit who,just did'nt have any balls :wink:
Biffa
-----------------------