Opinions matter?

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
MarkEG
ALPI
ALPI

Opinions matter?

Post by MarkEG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:44 am

Does anyone else notice that having an Alpina tends to polarise opinion with other drivers, especially (but not limited to) younger drivers - they either love the car, or they feel the need to show their stock caris just as good, if not better?

Over the last few years of Roadster ownership, I have noticed a marked increase in the number of times people try to race, cut me up, or just indicate their general displeasure that I own a nice car. This contra=sts with the fact that I also still get the usual thumbs up, and kids love the car (especially the start-up exhaust note)

My latest bad experience was a 120D, who decided that I was being impudent by pulling out to overtake (on a safe stretch, national speed limit, and he was doing 40-ish) and pulled over to stop me overtaking .... he then spent the next 10 minutes or so gesticulating (I think he was implying he only had one cylinder :roll: ) and hitting his brakes until I turned off.

Perhaps we can have a "Muppet Spotted" section in the forum .... :evil:
now gone: Alpina Roadster S, #108

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Generally, I've found responses to be positive. However, there are a few 'jealousy moments' - Liz has to explain occasionally that her 7 y/o car on obvious 54 plates cost less than most of the new hatchbacks in the office car park, even though it did cost the original owner around £45k when new. Most people who pass comment on the D3BT don't believe how much they are available for, and comments passed on both cars are generally favourable.

Going to your 'boy racer' point. I had one last Saturday whilst out in the D3BT. During our rounds of looking at multifuel burners we were some distance from home where there is a new B&Q (our 'local' Focus closed for obvious reasons), and we took the opportunity to purchase some paint. Upon leaving, I was driving round the one-way parking system with my lights on in daylight as I always do and some chap in his 118d pulled out in front of me, causing me to rapidly halt. I thought nothing of it believing I was the victim of a specsavers moment. I followed the car out of the car park through a junction and turned left onto a dual carriageway which quite rapidly narrows to a single carriageway up a very steep hill. He was in my way pootling along :wink: so I indicated and pulled out to overtake and he gave his THE LOT! Well, I was a bit caught out as I didn't expect it, so had to reciprocate as I was already half-way past him when I realised what he was doing, and the narrow section was fast approaching. Thankfully I had the right gear etc and I got past him (by now at some considerable speed) to be given the same one cylinder gesticulation you received .

So, 2 independent incidents, both involving BMW 1-series drivers. Coincidence?
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Stuart Truman
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Stuart Truman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Funnily enough it's the chav chariots with fitted fart cannons and an attitude that frequently issue the "come and have a go if you think you're fast enough" challenge to me. They didn't like my 300hp Golf and they don't like my 300hp Roadster either. I've had one or two come close to meeting their maker trying to overtake in dumb places.

If only the Alpina had the launch control the Golf did. That was huge fun (if expensive on rubber) Who'd a thunk I'm the wrong side of 40 :twisted:

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm

It doesn't matter what you are in, there are d ckheads everywhere. In the wife's tonkatoy car I find ageing (5-10 years) ex-repmobiles want to intimidate and block me/us in, in the Beemer people want to pull out from junctions in front of me at the last minute.

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:29 am

Usually I let them have a good start and wait until there is a incline and open the throttle, then bye bye. :evil: :evil: :evil:

MickB3
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MickB3 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

I can Honestly say I have only ever had positive comments :)

Saying that someone did scratch it :cry: but I like to
put that down to a kid accidently on a bike.
E46 B3 3.3 ALPINA

Stuart Truman
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Stuart Truman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 pm

I've had a couple of 3 series as company cars in the past. I used to enjoy letting people out of junctions etc just to see the look on their faces :)

Glyn
A
A

Post by Glyn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am

Only had positive comments too.

When I first drove through the centre of Nottingham in the Roadster a souped up Ibiza was clearly looking for a race off the lights. I took enjoyment from motioning to really go for it and then just pulling away slowly while he sped away and anchored up at the next set of lights while I crept up to them.

I try to do my bit to improve the bad rep of BMW drivers by letting out buses or cars if traffic allows it.