How to clean an engine of ANY condition

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

How to clean an engine of ANY condition

Post by rcshott » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:56 am

While I'm on my soapbox…Engine cleaning :idea:
For more years than I care to remember I've used (and often struggled) with degreasers and high pressure water, and then some gunk in a bottle to make it shiny.

I've just found out (on Youtube) that all you need is OVEN CLEANER, a couple brushes and CLEAR TYRE BLACK/cleaner and a couple old rags. My engine here in Ukraine is always dirty after a few runs because of adverse roads. But right now I could eat breakfast from it!

Start with a LUKE WARM engine;
1. WD40/RP7 any point where bare wires/points may be. Just a small squirt at each point.
2. Start at top of hood and spray oven cleaner (not on the sound deadener/insulation) and all of the engine. Use a large headed, soft brush to work it in to main areas and a skinny brush with long handle for hard/low places alongside the engine.
3. Using a garden pressure sprayer, you know…the one for spraying bugs, (NO HIGH PRESSURE APPARATUS) and wash the oven cleaner off. May need to use the CLEANED brush to get all cleaner off but not necessary.
4. Dry the engine…or wait for 30+ minutes.

Clean your brushes in water while waiting.

5. LIGHTLY spray clear tyre cleaner to all areas, DON'T OVERDO IT. Use a clean big head brush or cloth to spread it & the skinny brush to get into nooks & crannies. And stand back and admire.

I'll inspect it later :dance2:
1989 B10 (2nd owner. For sale)
1997 E39 V8 (current daily in UKR)

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:10 pm

What we need is photos, Jim :D

By the way we call it a bonnet over here :wink: :lol:

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 pm

OK lets see if I can get this;
Two of engine I cleaned 2 weeks ago & not been touched since…& one skinny brush. Got all the way to the car & forgot to take pics of other brushes. Six floors up and lift not working I ain't going back! Engine has 334,000 kilometres so a couple bare spots.

For the astute, at bottom Left of pic 1 note the pink cable holding the oil filter housing…IT'S POLISHED, TOO! New mount bolts are on the way.

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Looks great, thanks for the advise and pics :D

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah mate! Better still in the flesh. OH forgot…yeah "bonnet"…been reading too much 'other countries' mail :oops:

I'll be in country April 1…get them injins polished for my 'spection!