Roadster S #69 gets a mini makeover! Pic Heavy

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Mickl wrote:Looking at the pic of the cock up, did you cut the stripes or do they come in parts? Only asking as I have a plan to get my front bumper redone and reapply stripes.
If you order the stripes from Simon, each side comes as a single unit on backing paper so that, in essence, all you need to do is position correctly, press/smooth on and then peel off the backing paper. There's a little bit of work to do as far as prep goes, but all the hard work is done for you and this ensures that the spacing of the stripes is correct for the spoiler on your model.

I've tried out the sample of graphite stripes that Ade sent me and, he was right, graphite on red looks very nice indeed so I've just ordered a spoiler set in graphite from Simon - hopefully, I'll manage to apply them correctly this time :?
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

Stuart Truman
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 pm

I've not heard back from Simon yet. Bank holiday and all that so no worries.

Mickl
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Mickl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Perry

Yes I bet that colour combination looks good, post some pics when done

MickL

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Mick; Perry is spot-on. A lot of effort has gone into ensuring an easy fit of the stripes. Absolute piece of cake now, if prep is done correctly.

The letters need to be applied individually, though.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Mickl
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Mickl » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Sounds like its worth having a go,
the previous owner had the stripes and lettering fixed before the paint was clear coated. Not sure if this is a good idea or not? I suppose it would make it less likely that if using a pressure washer they would come unstuck.

Mick L

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Mickl wrote:Sounds like its worth having a go,
the previous owner had the stripes and lettering fixed before the paint was clear coated. Not sure if this is a good idea or not? I suppose it would make it less likely that if using a pressure washer they would come unstuck.

Mick L
But then, if you get stone chips that damage the vinyl, or just fancy a colour change, and want to replace the stripes/letters it goes from a fairly simple, if fingernail-killing, peel and replace, to a respray...
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d