Another part from 2003 finally changed!

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Another part from 2003 finally changed!

Post by Charles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm

By my reckoning, my car is still over 50% original as it came from Buchloe and all you mockers out there who refer to it as "Trigger's Broom" are wrong :D

However, another piece of original equipment has just been replaced.

Having experienced a scary clunk from the rear when cruising to work on the A34 last Tuesday, followed by the TC and an orange handbrake lights coming on for the rest of the drive, I was a bit worried.

Headed home that evening and all lights were extinguished until I got onto the M4 and then the engine management light flickered before the TC/handbrake combo reappeared.

After much googling I realised it could be lots of things but I knew that a fault diagnosis at CPC would provide some clues - however, that was four days away. But Wednesday's commute was light free, as was Thursday's and Friday's, so I was reasonably confident that it wasn't major, even though the car felt fragile under acceleration, as if it was about to throw the fault again.

Got to Phil's yesterday morning a there they were - two faults relating to the crank sensor. A quick removal and clean-up later revealed a hairline crack along the face of the sensor, so I guess they only last 14 years!!!

Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!