Let there be light!

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Let there be light!

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Last day of school holidays today so I arranged to pop up to see Phil at CPC to sort a few niggles before I have to wait until half term at the end of October. Fortunately I solved the uneven ventilation issues recently by simply doing a hard reset on the aircon control unit - disconnect the live supply for 5 seconds and then reconnect - so I have heat at last, just in time for the cooler weather.

You may also recall that I have been having problems with one of the Xenons - specifically, it is lazy at firing up. Having swapped the control boxes over left to right and not seeing any difference, I finally got round to having a new igniter fitted today in time for early morning runs to school in the gloom. Solved the problem immediately with instant light on both sides at the same time :D

Whilst there, we fitted a new front bumper guide on the RHS which has been needed for quite some time and makes a great visual improvement to the lines at the front. I also replaced the "eyebrows" which are located above the lens covers and divert water away from entering the engine bay, as the original ones had all but completely perished. Hopefully, this will keep the engine bay cleaner from now on.

Finally, we investigated a slight transmission fluid weep which could be due to a faulty sump gasket. All the sump bolts needed tweaking up and a small top-up of fluid was required, so we are now on a "monitor and report" status and may need to change the sump gasket on my next visit.

Looking ahead, I'm still waiting for the steering rack to finally die - but not quite yet. The money has been set aside for when it eventually happens which won't be a great surprise after so many miles. I also need to spend some time and care on the steering wheel leather which has suffered over the summer with hot and sweaty hands and one day I will find an upholsterer to repair the driver's bolster - but then I've been saying that for several years now!

Fingers crossed for a trouble free next couple of months :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!