Reflections on 2015

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Reflections on 2015

Post by Charles » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:03 pm

It's been an interesting year for me - what with various knee and head gasket problems (you decide which applies where!).

However, I have managed to achieve a number of things this year that I am pleased about. The car now has her stripes (thanks Simon), is running beautifully since a new cylinder head was fitted (thanks Phil Crouch and others who will remain nameless) and I managed to get to brilliantly organised Sytner UK 50th event (thanks Gary, Simon and Neil) and meet many of you that I have only ever "met" online here.

It may not seem like much but I was unable to fly to Buchloe in June due to medical orders and ongoing engine problems meant the car was off the road for quite a while in the early summer, meaning that the Silverstone meet was not possible. I did make it to Gaydon but, quite frankly, unless they change the format, I am unlikely to make the effort again. The joy of ALPINA ownership is that none of us have the same car and when we do get together, there is so much variety. BMW meets tend to have too many similar vehicles and feel like they are catering for the masses. I prefer more intimate events where you can get to know cars and owners alike.

So the stripes are on and I am regularly covering 2000 miles a month during term time, meaning that #049 is now showing more than 268k miles. Sure, the fuel costs with a 300d (which was my alternative at the time back in 2003) would have been much lower but life is too short and smiles and memories are far more valuable than saving a few pennies here and there.

I fell in love with the car when I first saw her and I see no reason to change her for anything else at present. She costs me less each year than depreciation on a new(er) model and whilst a few more toys and horses would be nice, they simply cannot justify getting rid of the old girl. When the time comes it will be a new ALPINA Green Touring B3 but hopefully that is many years away.

What else? Well, its been an interesting year on the forum as one of the admin team. There have been the occasional spats but people have responded well to the subtle (and sometimes not quite so subtle) requests to moderate their approach which has made our lives relatively easy. Some new people have arrived, some more established members have drifted away, but the forum - in the main - remains an excellent resource for owners of old and new ALPINAs alike.

We have lost an excellent Brand Manager in the form of Matt but we have gained another excellent one in the form of Gary. The problem with change is that people worry about what they have lost rather than recognising what they are gaining. Matt set the standards high and Gary is continuing to do so, but in his own style - which is something we should respect and support.

And as for ALPINA themselves, they continue to deliver their own version of engineering excellence. As an Engineer myself, this is something that lives in the DNA of our cars and makes them so much more than any equivalent BMW. It's one of those intangibles that is really difficult to explain but really easy to appreciate and is why I believe we continue to be here and contribute to others.

So, at this festive time and as the year draws to a close, I would like to wish all forum members here a very peaceful Christmas and a positive and successful New Year.

Take care

C
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:24 am

Brilliant year for all things Alpina related, good to go to several meetings this year, Beemer fest in Venlo, Buchloe where Alpina exceeded themselves.
Also Silverstone, Gaydon, the Belgian meet and Sytner.
The B4 is taking a well earned rest.
I agree with you Charles with regard to Gaydon, had not intended to go but thought that I would support the Alpina cause as there were so few down to attend.
Not impressed with the organisation at Gaydon, really think that a change of venue is called for.

Seasons greetings