Long distance taxi driving

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Long distance taxi driving

Post by Charles » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Just back from a jaunt to The Alps with the family where we found some snow.

As we were "six up" the B3S was rested - in fact, she's been receiving some TLC whilst I have been away but more of that later - so we loaded up the "new" Espace and set off.

What I mean by "new" was a fully loaded 60 plate 2.0 dCi Grand Espace that had to be purchased when the previous version decided to die at 150k miles.

Two adults and four teenagers require a roofbox so this was duly fitted and every conceivable space inside both box and car was filled with clothes, skis, boots and food.

Now I don't expect miracles as that lot would put a strain on any engine but the 175bhp unit sat comfortably on cruise at 80mph, delivering over 28mpg on the round trip as it ate up the miles effortlessly.

The 600 miles from Calais to Bourg St Maurice (and back again) took us 10.5 hours each way (including stops) and it was probably the most comfortable long distance drive I have done.

Whatever its faults, the Espace is the most complete workhorse around and I fail to understand why Renault are not replacing it. There is no other car out there that can seat seven people comfortably AND swallow all their luggage. Either it is 5 seats and a boot or 7 seats and a little cubby hole behind the third row.

As for the skiing - my knee blew up as we went up the mountains so I read some books, drank some wine and enjoyed the fresh air away from everything.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Hope that it was the `left` knee !

We have our trip home tomorrow, Swansea to Aberdeen in a packed E46 316i Touring ... could do with an Espace though :lol:
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Took the B3 wagon along a similar route in the summer but right down to the south of France.
The roads there are incredible super smooth and people that know what lane discipline is.
I loved popping in and out of the tunnels , some aural delight to be had there in the Alpina maybe not quite so in the Espace but 6 up I can't think of another vehicle that would do it so well
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098