Keyless security issues

Rather than clog up the General Forum we'll keep these seperate.
Please check here for Frequently asked questions on Road Tax, Security, Running Costs, Insurance Costs etc.
JPR89
ALP
ALP

Post by JPR89 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

Having a read up on this it does astound me that this supposed security system is so easy to defeat. I would love to ask a few questions to whoever the head of the car security systems is.

Before I say a few points, I can only express my support/sympathy to those whose cars it could affect, I can be paranoid at times, but it must be horrible with it playing on your mind.
As I have only recently read up on this, although I had heard of it, please correct me if any my points are wrong or I'm talking nonsense...

First off, why on earth is the port permanently live?

Secondly, why is it possible to gain the coding from the car itself. I understand that it has to recognise the key in some form, but surely it doesn't just hold an identical copy of the keys details in the cars memory and check that it matches up before allowing the car to start, which seems to be what they are cloning these ghost keys from, or copying the necessary information needed onto them from.

Thirdly, is the code not encrypted? if it is not, then whoever invented this security system isn't very security minded.

And lastly, sort of in line with the encryption, why does a new key not need an authentication system. I'm no tech genius, but there must be some way of creating a closed security system whereby there is a set number of keys that can be active at anyone time, and each key must have a specific address (a bit like a MAC address on a computer for those who understand anything internet/network related). In order to create a new key, one of the old or lost keys need to be deleted or deactivated before a new one can be linked into the system in it's place. In order to prevent people from finding out the keys identification number, rather than being on the keys themselves, they should be logged in a BMW database (which I have no doubt they already are) matching up to the relevant car which can only be accessed by dealers, or through dealers by an authorised independent, which would of course require some verification as to who is attempting to get a replacement key. If you lost a key, this way, they could find out which key has been lost and close it out of the system, simply by checking which keys are which from the remaining ones you have.

Probably went a bit off track there but I think it gives a general gist of where I am coming from, and can only hope someone at BMW is actually pulling a finger out and trying to sort this out.
James - Former E39 B10 V8 owner #838.
Currently: E90 330i

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 pm

ade and liz flint wrote:That's great Brian...except it's the driver's side window which they break to gain 'unseen' access.
Stop with those negative vibes man :wink:

I had realised the error :oops: , and informed Alpina accordingly, was thinking of LHD vehicles at the time :lol:

Axel is away until the 20th, see if anything happens then :pray

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm

B10BRW wrote:
ade and liz flint wrote:That's great Brian...except it's the driver's side window which they break to gain 'unseen' access.
Stop with those negative vibes man :wink:

I had realised the error :oops: , and informed Alpina accordingly, was thinking of LHD vehicles at the time :lol:

Axel is away until the 20th, see if anything happens then :pray
No negative vibes here, man :lol:

Ain't that just typical...goes on holiday at an important time :wink:
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Just received the following from Jonathan:

Good Morning Brian,

Just confirming that we have received your email.

Once Axel is back from vacation I will get him to put the feelers out with BMW in order to see if we can get some useful information regarding the matter.

Best regards
Jonathan Ganser

Will be interesting to see how Axel responds.