My 4 year tribute project finally over

Thought we'd tempt out our budding photographers. Share your photos. We'll add different themes from time to time.
powerontap

My 4 year tribute project finally over

Post by powerontap » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

OK, so this one could be transferred into the busted category...

The Roadster has never been certified for sale in North America, so it's simply not possible for me to have one imported (before 15 years).

So as a personnal project, I decided to transform my 2003 3.0 to reflect as much of the authentic spirit as I could, while keeping cost realistic (hence aftermarket wheels) The car started as a pristine example, including original paint. Unique mods are limited to a shark fin aerial and smoked HID headlight assemblies.

Some add-ons are obvioulsy authentic parts, imported in part by a contact who has good ties at Alpina. The build plaque molded base and interior crests are actually the only ones ever delivered in the aftermarket by Alpina. I believe this was also the case for the door sills. The car also uses an authentic instrument cluster (hybrid with my own original electronics), wind deflector and aerodynamic package.

Engine dressing and built plaque are of my own design and manufacturing process. Oil, serial and tyre pressure decals are from our friend Atul. Dash, steering and center console were finished by a local upholsterer, after I'd taken the whole interior apart (!). No doubt, there is no other tribute project as sophisticated anywhere in the world.

So here is the final result:

Yes, I am a true Alpina fan, proudly wearing alpinaregister.com t-shirt and baseball cap :wink:
Last edited by powerontap on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Well done :!:

That's pretty convincing and I don't have a problem with it being a tribute. I understand the issues in Canada and I know you're not trying to sell it as the real thing. Enjoy it, and be justly proud of your work 8)

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Indeed, if the roadster-s was approved for import, I could in fact afford the best example there was on the market, so price was never an issue.

It's also my intent to keep this car for another 10-12 years, since it's only ever used as a sunny day summer ride. So selling it as a fake was never part of the intention (s) either.

Cheers

AG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by AG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 pm

oh well done, looking fab, I'm with Chas in that the intention is in the right mind and approach.

Is it still a 3.0 or has it been breathed on to reflect the 3.4 lettering under the hood?

Great car, really liking this model.
Former BMW CC 7 register chairman

2000 e39 B10 V8 Touring
1985 e23 B10 (sold)
1995 B3 saloon switchtronic (sold)

jrsmitchell
A
A

Post by jrsmitchell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 am

It looks great to me! I know it's hard to find parts here in Canada so kudos to you for being resourceful.

Is the shift knob something custom, or available somewhere?

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 am

jrsmitchell wrote:Is the shift knob something custom, or available somewhere?
It's an original BMW ZHP weighted knob, capped by an authentic oval Alpina crest (which my friend was able to source out from Alpina, since there is no part number for it).

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 am

AG wrote:Is it still a 3.0 or has it been breathed on to reflect the 3.4 lettering under the hood?
Mechanics were kept 100% original, so all badges are to reflect the look only.

powerontap

Instrument cluster

Post by powerontap » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 am

Just a few pics to show some of the work involved in making a hybrid out of the instrument cluster. In order to keep original mileage and coding intact, my own gauge electronics were mounted into the Alpina cluster, finished with faces, rings and needles. Boxed Alpina clusters come with two sets of faces: MPH only and MPH/KPH combo.

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 am

Nice work Gil, as I've said to you before my only (minor) gripe, is that you've used the build number from an existing car on the plaque as I think it would have been more apt to use an out-of-range number (e.g. 374)

Have you thought about fitting a MFSW (or even just the L/R trim panels from a MFSW) as all the Roadsters came with wheel-mounted controls? Even if your car doesn't have the MFSW wiring, the loom adapter is readily available and costs peanuts

Next time you get over to the UK you're welcome to have a good look over #320 :)

Cheers

Perry
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am

That is a quality build! Not sure about the 3.4 and the inlet manifold ALPINA lettering, but all in all a great build.

Unfortunately, as with many cars in NA, those rear marker lights just don't fit the car!
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

An excellent piece of work and tribute.

However, I'm with Perry and feel uncomfortable about the plaque details as this (along with the double VIN) is part of which makes a real ALPINA real to us anoraks.

That said, absolute respect for a very lovely piece of machinery and I hope you get as much pleasure from driving it as you have clearly got from building it :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

PerryGunn wrote:Nice work Gil, as I've said to you before my only (minor) gripe, is that you've used the build number from an existing car on the plaque as I think it would have been more apt to use an out-of-range number (e.g. 374)
Agreed. I was going to ask if there is a reason why you used 012? And all the more curious that it was supplied by Alpina GmbH. Has the original 012 car been written off?

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 am

13 would of been a better number me thinks :o

Nice build, have you tried to source an engine? Id of bought the suspension and wheels that would get you closer to the alpinaness rather than trim bits imo.

Nice looking all the same

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Chas wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:Nice work Gil, as I've said to you before my only (minor) gripe, is that you've used the build number from an existing car on the plaque as I think it would have been more apt to use an out-of-range number (e.g. 374)
Agreed. I was going to ask if there is a reason why you used 012? And all the more curious that it was supplied by Alpina GmbH. Has the original 012 car been written off?
I think that you may have misinterpreted the text Chas
powerontap wrote:...The build plaque molded base and interior crests are actually the only ones ever delivered in the aftermarket by Alpina....
I read that as the plaque base was supplied by Alpina, not the plaque itself...
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Chas wrote:Agreed. I was going to ask if there is a reason why you used 012? And all the more curious that it was supplied by Alpina GmbH. Has the original 012 car been written off?
I used 012 because it does ''seem'' to be writen off, not showing in any registries. It also matched closer to the 2003 built year of my car.

Alpina GmgH didn't supply the plaque, only the base. I made the plaque myself (as I did for dozens of Alpina owners thru the years)