B3 3.2 Touring No.36 Bodywork time, 13 style

Thought we'd tempt out our budding photographers. Share your photos. We'll add different themes from time to time.
shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am

A bit more boot work...

So got a little late before starting yesterday, so i didn't tackle much. Becoming a bit of a theme of the week!

Boot side panels, some good news and bad news when i started, the LHS panel had a hole cut out for the subwoofer wiring. Not that happy about that, but it is part of the car's history. I've got a spare if it really bugs me, but it will stay with the car for now.

RHS panel had the usual broken hazard Triangle/First Aid Kit emblems, but more worryingly, some black grease on it that appeared to have bonded very well with the carpet. Never mind, a challenge to resolve!

Gave it a quick scrub using my usual methods, and luckily it came right out. Good news, but this was the easy part.

General clean with APC:

Then a wet vac job, and it looks quite presentable. good colour difference! I know Simon did a lot of this as shown earlier in the thread, so a bit of an extra clean never goes a miss! 50:50 shown:

Same process used the other side:

So on to the boot floor, :doh
Before i started:

Close up of the major issues here:

I have no idea of what this stuff is/was, but it is damn sticky, if you touch it it comes off black on your finger and it has bonded very well to the boot floor. I know that Simon will pass on the Beige trim, but for now i need to clean this up so i can use it. So out with the big guns, Tardis. This will probably soak through the carpet and affect the contact adhesive used to stick the carpet to the plywood floor, but that can easily be resolved if need be.

Here you can see my method working, bottom left is where one of the blobs was, i soaked it in Tardis, rubbed with a rag first, then resorted to using a Stanley blade to aggressively scrape the stuff off the carpet. This worked well as the stuff stuck to the blade and peeled off the carpet without removal of any fibers.

Almost there, just a little to go, but the patch on the right was a nightmare!

Washed the half with the blobs on, 50:50:

Done! :yahoo: There is a small cigarette burn in the middle area, but not much i can do about that, and don't really need to!

Colour of the water from the above exercises, about the same as i got from no.20 when i bought it!

So onto the infamous E36 touring emblem problem, they always are split. I don't recall ever seeing one still whole, but thats now my challenge, get no.36's one whole again!

A bit more plastic welding as per the 3.2 badge, and its back together:

Refitted:

On to some of the coil-over butchery as Simon called it (:|), removed the panel in the boot, a couple of screws missing, but i have spares so no issue:

Again, another stain of concern, so at this point, i thought i'd see if it would come out on a test patch, and then go in for the night.

Yep, it came out, Phew!

1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Nice work! You must be chuffed with the transformation. Very satisfying.
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Very much so, people always ask me why I bother, but IMO it's one of the most satisfying things you can do on a car!

I've just finished the boot, will post pics in the morning. Looks amazing for something that's travelled so far!

Hope you all are enjoying the thread and i'm not boring you with my OCD!
2019 Fiat Fullback

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Not at all least there's u me and metric wiv these tendencies
More pics exterior n plans on paintwork wheels

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm

hap wrote:Not at all least there's u me and metric wiv these tendencies
More pics exterior n plans on paintwork wheels
Now the boot is finished, I'm looking at the radio as only the two front speakers work.

In my post in the morning with today's progress on, I was going to ask what I should do next. I'm confused as where to go next and with the nights drawing in, daylight is an issue.

Any suggestions?
2019 Fiat Fullback

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Drive it!

Hap i refurbed the rims a few months back at lepsons but i went with the sparkle finish

plug the old sony radio back in? wheres the sub gone?! The way that stereo install was done is that it NEEDs the sub to work, the speakers are just mids and tweeters. I tried to run it all without the sub fitted and it was horrid so i kept the base box in and the tunes rollin!

That black floor mat is out of my long gone 328i touring i broke for parts

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 pm

simon13 wrote:Drive it!

Hap i refurbed the rims a few months back at lepsons but i went with the sparkle finish

plug the old sony radio back in? wheres the sub gone?! The way that stereo install was done is that it NEEDs the sub to work, the speakers are just mids and tweeters. I tried to run it all without the sub fitted and it was horrid so i kept the base box in and the tunes rollin!

That black floor mat is out of my long gone 328i touring i broke for parts
I am driving it! Lol!

I was going to try the Sony radio, but I took the old one out to check, and the sound is going to the front speakers via the amp, but nothing to the rear.

The sub didn't come with the car unfortunately...

I thought that's where you has all the black trim from, don't have the black sides, so easiest option is to but the beige back in as and when. It's not a bother though.
2019 Fiat Fullback

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Protect and seal the wheels?
Exhaust clean up part 2
Remove and align boot badges if slightly off

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:03 am

Exhaust tip was my next thought, but i want to wash it thoroughly first. Might just get on with it. I have to admit though, the darkened exhaust looks awesome on the sport bumper!

On to Yesterdays activities:

Finished off the boot trim i started:

Did the other side in the car as taking the trim off is a nightmare. Well putting it back is! Whom ever designed this trim should be shot, its not maintenance friendly for changing the rear shocks.

Quick APC:

Done:

Fitted the other side back in to the car:

So now i do agree with Simon's statement, Butchery! As part of the coilover fit/removal that the previous owner did, they cut the carpet to get it out. There was absolutly no need for this as the side panels slip out from under it. Oh well, it is what it is! I will find a replacement in due course:

Refitted the best that can be done:

On to the back of the rear seats, 50:50, the 60% one has been APC'd, the 40% is a before shot

Finished clean shot of the seat backs:

In the pic below, you can see my LED bar lamp. This is a Lidl special and was an impulse buy over whats app as a friend of mine saw it. One of the best things i ever bought. Highly recommended. Has hooks that allow it to hang from anywhere, magnets for under bonnet work, hinged ends so that it will clip/hang on to anything in any angle, and the charge lasts forever! Was very cheap to boot.
All reassembled:

Gave it all a quick hoover just to get and loose debris away, there is still some dust kicking up from the under parts, like under the battery, so that is something that i will have to do sooner rather than later.

Before:

Started to look in to the radio issues afterwards as i only had about 15 mins before i had to go and collect some Bilstein B8's for no.20. I noticed that no.36 didn't come spec'd with the automatic recirc function on the climate control. No.20 has got it though.

2019 Fiat Fullback

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Last edited by E24man on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:21 pm

E24man wrote:That button is for manual air re-circulation.
Yes Kev I know, no 20 has the auto and manual recirculation button
2019 Fiat Fullback

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

i never pulled that centre carpet up like that i promise! i could never work out how it came out?

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am

simon13 wrote:i never pulled that centre carpet up like that i promise! i could never work out how it came out?
You have to unbolt the luggage hooks, then it pulls out. Well i don't anymore!

A bit of work carried out on the exhaust, but it has alot of pick up and with the sport bumper on it is inaccessible, so i did one pipe before my work phone rang, and left it at that!

In other news, i sorted the radio, the Pioneer one that the previous owner fitted is shot, USB doesn't work and the outputs are blown. He probably knew this and used it to plug a hole. The Sony one Simon referred to works, but has no USB, so that came out too, and i fitted my Pioneer DAB unit. The problem with the rear speakers was that the amp was configured incorrectly. Cutting a long story short, All speakers no work except the small rear ones in the headlining, but that isn't a priority at the moment. I suspect that is a crossover adjustment issue, but its so frustrating working on it! When ever i need to strip the interior, i may resort to looking in to the wiring for the Audio system, as it is just poor IMO.

I have the weekend to work on the car now, so plan to wash, decontaminate and then machine polish some of the panels to see what i have to play with. Wheels may come off too! (All weather dependent though)
2019 Fiat Fullback

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Washed the car tonight in prep for the weekends activities:

Before i started:

The wheels looked really good, but then i saw this!

So on to the wheels wash, washed with Autofinesse Imperial Wheel Cleaner and then Iron Out. Heres the iron out working. Bear in mind, these wheels were refurbed in April by Lepsons, so they should be near mint!

Nice and clean!

Damage on one wheel after cleaning. I might be able to reduce the visual effect even more.

Fuel Filler area. I wanted to do this as a priority as when i went to fill up after purchase of the car, my hands were filthy! Before:

APC wash and detail brush agitation:

Rinsed:

Badges. This area is very clean as the badges were only stuck on in the last few weeks:

Boot shut area cleaned with APC and agitated:

Started to do a half a job on the engine bay, just to get the worst of it off, i might steam it later. Here's a 50:50, left is the clean side:

Clean, well sort of:

Minor bit of rust that will need attention soon. I may take a look from underneath just in case it needs patching. Would be an MOT fail as it fors part of the inner arch, but maybe they missed it due to the dirt on the strut tower.

General decontamination, whole car sprayed with Autofinesse Citrus Power, i can't begin to tell you how good this stuff is, sprayed it on, pressure washed off after a 5 minute dwell. Car was almost clean!

Rinsed:

Very thick snow foam with Autofinesse Avalanche. It really put the shine back in to the paintwork!

ImageImage

All rinsed off. Got to dark to continue anything, so some final shots from this evening:

Shine!

2019 Fiat Fullback

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Come up well for not much elbow grease
Did it come with the orangebindicatirs rears are clear ?