B3 3.2 Touring No.36 Bodywork time, 13 style

Thought we'd tempt out our budding photographers. Share your photos. We'll add different themes from time to time.
shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:29 pm

simon13 wrote:Ignition barrel is correct for car. Matches door key, I had to change the whole steering column when the original barrel failed big time. Hence two keys as I couldn't get the donor lock barrel out to fit the new one and fix the two key problem
I found another barrel in the car, it doesn't look new though. Also, i tried both keys and neither of them turn in the barrel. I think they won't turn until the barrel is installed, but i can't remember.

Any idea why the key is difficult to get in on the drivers door? Seems a bit like the key is heavily worn out?
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Excellent work :!:

I learned a lot too ... :)
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

Mickl
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Mickl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Nice transformation,

Looks great, I shall keep an eye out for you in the area!

Mick
E36 3.2 B3 convertible No 60
Alpina Roadster S No 254 Sold
E36 M3 Evo Saloon Sold
E36 3.0 B3 Switchtronic saloon sold

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm

shaziman wrote:
simon13 wrote:Ignition barrel is correct for car. Matches door key, I had to change the whole steering column when the original barrel failed big time. Hence two keys as I couldn't get the donor lock barrel out to fit the new one and fix the two key problem
I found another barrel in the car, it doesn't look new though. Also, i tried both keys and neither of them turn in the barrel. I think they won't turn until the barrel is installed, but i can't remember.

Any idea why the key is difficult to get in on the drivers door? Seems a bit like the key is heavily worn out?
I bent the wheel a few years back !

Re door lock I bought a rebuild kit for that door lock but I was never sure I built it 100% in the correct order wth the numbered tumblers. I guess taking the passenger one out and stripping it to check the sequence might be an idea?

Car looks amazing 8) 8)

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 am

Mickl wrote:Nice transformation,

Looks great, I shall keep an eye out for you in the area!

Mick
Thanks Mick, I;'ve been chatting with Terry (MCB) about having the 3 cars together soon, why dont you come along and we can have a mini Alpina meet before the proper winter weather sets in? Would be like an Alpina E36 fest!

simon13 wrote:I bent the wheel a few years back !
Ah ok, that makes sense, as long as you knew about it. It has no adverse affects to the car, apart from twhen the wehhl is bend side up, it can be seen. I'll monitor and see how it goes.

simon13 wrote:Car looks amazing 8) 8)
Thanks, That means alot coming from you, you did the hard work and i just polished it! :drool

My neighbours whom no doubt were getting annoyed with the constant whirl of the polisher for 2 days also gave me a very nice compliment, so i was pleased that even people whom don't care about cars appreciated the difference!

The previous owner got back to me, which was great and the clears should be with me today :yahoo:

I would like to do the interior as well, not sure how i should tackle it just yet, but i'm also thinking of doing the rust on the suspension turret soon, as over the winter that could make a molehill into a mountain. Also, the arches are stuffed full of crud, to be expected after 250k! Its about 1/2" thick all round, so to get that clean is going to take a while. I want to cover it in cavity wax or underseal in the prone areas once its clean, but i have a fear that it may require more than one session to get it clean. I may pop and see the interior guy that Terry used as its on my way home if i go the slightly longer but more economical route, just to get an idea of how much it will cost to sort the drivers seat. It might be savable, but i'm not sure. Just need a directional cost to see which is the better and the right thing to do by the car. Ideally, i want to keep as much original stuff on the car that i can.

I have ordered new door handles and gaskets, they should be here by the end of the week.
2019 Fiat Fullback

Mickl
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Mickl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

I would deffo be up for that, there is a possibility that I could bring both my 3.0 saloon and 3.2 cab .

Let me know when you are thinking and I will make an effort to join you, could be the largest gathering of e36 b3 seen!

Mick
E36 3.2 B3 convertible No 60
Alpina Roadster S No 254 Sold
E36 M3 Evo Saloon Sold
E36 3.0 B3 Switchtronic saloon sold

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 am

Mickl wrote:Sounds like a good idea.

I would deffo be up for that, there is a possibility that I could bring both my 3.0 saloon and 3.2 cab .

Let me know when you are thinking and I will make an effort to join you, could be the largest gathering of e36 b3 seen!

Mick
Will do, will have to be this month, as no.20 will be going off road for some work over the winter, so i'll give Terry a shout and feedback. I don't have my Cab here though, its in Wales at the moment.

Clear indicators and replacement door handles have arrived. Will treat the door handles tonight and clean up the indicators ready for fitting tomorrow.
2019 Fiat Fullback

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:47 pm

One thing i forgot to add at the beginning of my ownership was the car had to have some extensive welding done on the sill area, due to a hole that appeared in the wheel arch.

Here's how big the repair was:

So on to the prep for the weekends activities, the door handles arrived, so they were treated from new to rubber feed and Nanolex trim restorer.

50:50

The clear indicators arrived, but typically nothing is simple. One of them was missing the seal.

The car appeared to have a slow discharge fault. Not sure how, but the CTek comfort indicator kept showing green, then yellow, and occasionally red, then back to yellow again and general haphazardness. This said to me that there was a fault on the battery, so it needed checking. Also, in Simon's history, he shows two battery changes, so it sounded like its a long standing issue. So firstly i checked out the battery condition.

Battery health showed OK.

On load, showed OK too:

Started the car and the alternator shows healthy too:

Earth leakage check. Check base voltage:

Base current draw in series for the Earth:

Base current draw across the meter:

So no draw at all from the car. Not sure where to go next, suspect the comfort indicator is a bit sensitive. Just to be sure, when i i take the battery out, i will manually dump the acid, and fill with distilled water then recondition. That should sort any battery issues.

So the handles are ready for fitting:

Purpose made tool! Had this for years, was made for adjusting tension on a Peugeot 106 Rallye timing belt, but has turned out to be useful for many different purposes:

Whilst i was taking the handle covers off, all was cleaned behind and the handles were treated to nanolex.

All fitted, but i am not happy. They are original surplus parts, but they don't fit!

Here's the misfitting bits:

What it should look like for comparison:

Not good!! Will be speaking to the seller and getting somewhere, for sure!

So swapping the ambers for clear. Everyone has an easy job that they are useless at, for me its, removing E36 indicators. I always end up snapping the locking tabs off and rendering the light useless. Anyway, after 20 mins of trying, i removed the bulb to get more purchase to push the unit out and found this. Beggars belief!!!

The old glue was removed from the clears, and the seals stripped off the ambers to get the clears on.

They are a bit thinker than OEM, but they will have to do for now. Shame they were ruined when removed.

The ambers were some cheap shit, so no wonder it took me ages to get them off. Notice the 'OEM' made in Taiwan sticker:

I treated the door trims with nanolex as the door handles were showing them up. 50:50:

Clears refitted, relief!

I tried to clean up the drivers seat thinking there was dirt in it, but its actually worn through the paint.

Will need to get some leather filler and spray to restore it.

Exhaust was hanging down a bit, there is a HUGE speed bump at work, one that the whole car can sit on, and the exhaust would just tough it, so it needs sorting. The previous owner told me that the rubber was broken and supplied a new one, but its the wrong one. Anyway, it will do to stop the exhaust getting damaged.

Here's the broken one. I hate these profiled rubbers, so hard to fit.

The exhaust hanger fixed:

So i thought i would sort the exhaust pipes a bit, but the sport bumper trim let down the back, so i cleaned it thoroughly then IPA wiped it, let it dry, buffed it and then applied the nanolex. Looks amazing!

Even though i cleaned one pipe last weekend, it still looks poor. Under the pipe looks like this:

I tried all sorts but it wasn't getting better. Then i looked in and saw loads of what looked like carbon. So i went to it with a screwdriver. It all started coming off, then i polished it with emery cloth and it got polished, but still looked poor.

Can see how polished it is by the reflection of my finger:

How it looked with one pipe clean and one dark:

So here is the process on the other pipe. Scraping off all the carbon with the screwdriver:

Looks like quite a blow pipe in this shot!

The comparison of 20 vs 36:

Here is the pipe finished. Still doesn't look like no.20's. I think this pipe might be past it. I will pursue with cleaning over time, to see if it improves:

Degreased the engine bay with AF Citrus Power. Cleaned it up a whole lot more:

I want to use the boot liner, but it was filthy. After cleaning the boot, there was no way that the liner was going back in the way it was. So onto the cleaning. Before:

APC'd:

Remember the black putty stuff that was on the carpet? The matching stuff was on the boot liner. So out came the Tardis and the putty removed:

All APC'd, Tardis'd and Citrus Power'd to leave a clean liner:

2019 Fiat Fullback

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Great detail shaziman
Keep it going re the exhast a dremil or cone type attachment on drill should sort it out
I've just used britmax twins and that is pretty good

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 pm

hap wrote:Great detail shaziman
Keep it going re the exhast a dremil or cone type attachment on drill should sort it out
I've just used britmax twins and that is pretty good
Thanks,

I used a metal.polishing kit, attachment on the end of a drill and still didn't get it good enough. I think it was just left too long, so may need a strong chemical treatment of some kind
2019 Fiat Fullback

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 pm

:D amazeballs

I changed the batteries as when i bought it the original was fubared and then i killed the replacement one summer when i barely drove it for 4 months and the thing wasn't holding charge. Lesson learned seeing as i have a C tek!

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I need more input shaziman anymore work done?

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Nope, Sunday I realised my 323 tourers MOT was going to be up, so had to do a bit on that, evenings are just too cold and dark for progress. Will do some at the weekend!
2019 Fiat Fullback

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:37 am

great work.
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:04 pm

simon13 wrote:Lesson learned seeing as i have a C tek!
CTek's are awesome, i have played with mine a little, taken battery that have been dead for a couple of years, stuck at the back of the garage waiting for a trip to the tip, and revived them to use them as a 12v supply, as they won't crank a straight six, but have worked well jumping 4 cylinder small capacity motors. saved me a small fortune on new batteries!
2019 Fiat Fullback