28 April 2007 - Best driving game ever ?

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil

Best Racing Game

Gran Turisimo IV (PS2)
83%
Forsa racing (xbox)
No votes
TOCA race car driver 3 (PC)
17%
GT Racer (PC)
No votes
Need for Speed ....
No votes
Test Drive....
No votes

Total votes: 6

neil
Administrator
Administrator

28 April 2007 - Best driving game ever ?

Post by neil » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:22 am

My mate is a fanatical gamer and at last count has 2 Xbox 360s (1 for upstiairs, 1 for downstairs), and Xbox, a Wii and a Alienware PC (with twin 512Mb graphics cards). He also plays this on a HD projector which is sized at around 134inches and for the PC at least he can get a 1600x1200 image.

He's been on at me for ages to buy an XBox 360 so we can play online, but I just can't justify shelling out for something I won't play that much.

However, the Alienware PC is his latest purchase and prompted me to purchase TOCA race car driver 3 (for £5.12 off amazon!) so that we could play online.

So it got me thinking what is the best racing game ever ?

I'll add a poll to the thread, if your game isn't listed post it and I will add it.

KevinB10
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by KevinB10 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:05 am

I voted for Gran Turismo, but my most played [pre- children] must be Super Mario Kart - Nintendo. I even got the Nintendo out last Chrismas to show Katie who is 5 and she loved it! :)
Kevin

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:04 am

I voted for GT i'm still trying to get the hang of Tocca :oops:
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)
M3 3.0 E36 (sold)
523 E39 (sold)
520 E34 Touring (sold)
318IS E36 (sold)

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:20 pm

I've always been mad on driving games, always on the PC. They're never the same with an Xbox/PS in my opinion, but perhaps that's because I use a wheel and pedals with the PC, but not with the Xbox. At last count, I've got around 30 driving games for the PC. I've built up that collection since I was about 10 and I've got some of the oldest ones and some of the latest ones.

However, for me, the best driving game of all time has to be the original Driver. Powersliding round the streets of San Francisco, New York or Miami in a choice of 20 odd big American brutes whilst tyring to out run swarms of cops, you just can't beat it. Alright, visually it's not the most complete game, but for the sheer fun and enjoyment of it, I've yet to find anything that can match it.
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:11 pm

GT for me...It's the reason I bought my PS one and same with the PS2 I suppose when GT5 comes out i'll have to get a PS3
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

sclarke
AL
AL

Post by sclarke » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 pm

You can get a PS3 now and download GT HD for free! I am really enjoying competing with lap times from people all over the net, not that I can do much better than within the top 100. If GT5 is an expanded version of this demo then it will be superb.
Steve
Alpina B10 V8

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: 28 April 2007 - Best driving game ever ?

Post by nealpina » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 pm

neil wrote:Alienware PC (with twin 512Mb graphics cards).
8) Cool PC 8)

Neil, don’t know if you are aware but Commodore (Yes I mean the same people that made the Commodore 64.) have released their gaming PCs and they have similar specifications to Alienware PCs.
sclarke wrote:GT5 is an expanded version of this demo then it will be superb
Agreed.

Just need to mention this, my favourite computer game is Chuckle Egg on the MSX format because the graphics are a lot better than on the ZX spectrum.

Driving games, I would say the greatest retro driving game has to be Outrun.

I am not a PC gamer therefore I will wait until car games for the PC drop to something like £4.99 before I purchase them. I have a couple of games which I would describe to be retro car games i.e. one of my games is retro American cars racing.

My best fun driving car game is for the PS1. It is called ‘Learner Driver’. The gamer is a learner driver and has to complete several obstacles before obtaining a full driving license. The graphics, characters, and cars are like those on ‘Alpina46’ avatar.

I’ve voted for GT4 as this is in the Gran Turisimo series, but I actually prefer GT3 than GT4. I believe GT4 has too many enhancements and not enough gaming feel for my liking, I have completed GT3 – it was a long struggle but it was worth it. Only completed about 35% with GT4. BTW GT4 does not play on the PS3 (not tested GT3 on the PS3).

I have Ridge Racer and Need for Speed for the PS3. As I have been busy, I have only played Need for Speed once but the graphics are exceptional. I have spent more time playing Ridge Racer (and as I said in another thread the graphics and player control are just outstanding).

Final thought: The major problem that game consoles now have is that computers are more powerful than gaming consoles. I believe for the last two weeks a PC game is at number one in the selling charts and this has not happened for several years.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic