Alpina Dyno/Rolling Road experiences wanted

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Tenaka

Post by Tenaka » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:40 pm

How do you know the piston is knackered?

My engine steadily increased in power after it was run in for 1000miles.
My engine was rebuilt by Bexley motorworks and the first dyno gave 189bhp, that was without a 6 branch or any remapping.
It was then remapped and gave 208 brake without a manifold.
It had the manifold fitted and remapped at the same time and gave 215bhp. The engine feels looser now and it revs better so I'm keen to dyno it again.
In 2 months my new manifold arrives and then I will remap it again and leave it at that. Its more than quick enough for me now and makes the most amazing noise.

Parv

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 pm

what manifold u puuting on, im glad your enjoying my exhaust that Sal got off me.
Get some pics of yuor car up mate

Hap

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:47 pm

The car has been at Brids (Hartge) in Uxbridge today and had a friend giving it a good going over

All i know so far is the oil pump is not too clever on idle. I'm sure theres more i'll find out once the car is home. Nothing majorly wrong with it he thinks.

Also throttle position switch is dead, it's not using WOT or idle maps. This would explain a bit more about the running lean on the rollers!

SPA69
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by SPA69 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:22 pm

Is your car the Dolphin grey one with the later style sport kit?

Yes, it has MTEC 2 side skirts and rear valance with ALPINA front
and rear spoiler. Front spoiler is striped and will soon be striping the rest.

Your exhaust is the exact copy as mine in fact it was temparaley offered
up on my car when it was made to make sure it would fit ok. I spent nearly a whole day making sure both systems were as close to the genuine ALPINA system as they could be.I guess your car should sound
pretty much the same as mine. Better the warmer it gets although I have only done about 600 miles since fitted. Seems to get better every time I
take the car for a drive. Are you happy with your system ?

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Si i bought a quicksilver system, did u have fitting issues with it?

Mine is still on my old car and sounded awsome and got louder the warmer it got. Very bassy low down especially when warm

It now fits as it should but the tailpipes were welded on a touch low.

Hap listened to my exhaust before he spoke to u i think?

I like the scorpion on mine, but i might change it in the future for something more subtle looking

Tenaka

Post by Tenaka » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:55 am

SPA, I have heard much about your car. I have seen it on the net somewhere too and looks like what is one of the best C2's around.

Hap contacted Sal from E30zone about this exhaust we have. Apparently you worked very very hard to make sure it was an exact replica. All thanks to both you and Hap for getting this excellent exhaust made. I saw picstures of it against your old Alpina system and on the outside it was exactly the same. I had to adapt mine to fit to a BTB manifold.
What I love about thsi exhaust is the level of refinement. Its quiet on idle and cruise. Put your foot down and it makes a noise to embarrass even the best porsches. I do not understand why Hap sold this exhaust.

Sal convinced BTB to make new manifolds from scratch. Some very detailed pictures of Simon13's Racing Dynamics manifold, Alpina manifold and Hartge manifold were sent to BTB. They studied them and found all them be heavily flawed. From what I know the Racing Dynamics was the best one but it had no downpipes so was incomplete.

Here are the pictures of the manifold I'm getting. All equal length and pulse tuned with a very nice looking downpipe assembly with lambda boss.

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Guys,

Just a gentle comment - can we try and keep "on message" within postings?

If you feel the conversation is beginning to head off on a tangent, it would be extremely helpful to start a new thread. Then we keep releavant information well ordered in the forum.

I hope you will agree.

Thanks

Charles
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Slamby
ALP
ALP

Post by Slamby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, the rolling road experience didn't go so well.

The problem seemed to be that the car's an auto, and it's therefore very difficult to get an accurate reading on the dyno.

The usual technique, apparently, is that you put it in 4th or whatever, get it up to full revs, then shove your foot on the clutch, and then the rolling road does the calculations on the rundown. That's if I was understanding the guy correctly.

The issue with the auto is that it's always looking to change gear, and you have to bang it into neutral rather than use the clutch. He tried a couple of runs, but wasn't happy with the results. The power curve isn't right due to the downshifting etc, and we were getting spikes because of the shift into neutral.

Difficult to come away with anything from the experience to be honest, other than it sounds great at full wack, and the heat and gases coming out of the exhausts are amazing. I didn't have a lady with a long coat on to test I'm afraid, but it would have been flapping a bit. :lol:

The highest power rating was 248.5hp, but he said we could be missing anywhere up to 60hp due to the way he had to test it. :cry:

The road was good for 500hp, so that wasn't an issue, but it was only rated to 190mph, and the speedo was indicating 175, so he was getting a little concerned. :D

Only other thing I gleaned was that he said that most of the M cars he'd had in were short by around 20hp or so, which correlates with comments in the other rolling road thread.

If anyone's succesfully had a switchtronic on the rollers, can they let me know where, and what equipment they were using?

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:22 pm

Did you have the car in switch-tronic mode ?

I'm not 100% sure but if you put the car in switch-tronic then select 4th gear it should work but you will also need to turn off the traction control to stop it changing gear for you.

If i drive my car in switch-tronic mode the traction will change up the gears before i want it to just like normal auto but turn off the traction and hey presto it revs higher and stays in gear :)
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)
M3 3.0 E36 (sold)
523 E39 (sold)
520 E34 Touring (sold)
318IS E36 (sold)

fluffnik
A
A

Post by fluffnik » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:32 pm

alpina46 wrote: If i drive my car in switch-tronic mode the traction will change up the gears before i want it to just like normal auto but turn off the traction and hey presto it revs higher and stays in gear :)
Hmmmm...

Mine will redline before upshifting in Steptronic with traction (ASC+T) on.

I find it takes quite a lot to provoke the TC and that it rarely intrudes with either my current Mich PS2s or the previous P Zero Rossos.

Going to find out how it behaves on the rollers next Sat so I'll report on my experiences later.
B10 V8 Touring #36

iainwill

Post by iainwill » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:05 pm

I'm glad someone came up with this subject.

Thanks to the aid of WASIF, we took our BT's to be dyno'd last week. Having never had a car that was worthy of testing before, the whole experience was new to me and i'm glad to say a good one.

Before we get to the all important power/torque figures, i'd like to share my experience of the day, and say a thank you to WASIF for arranging the whole thing, cheers mate.

The first thing that really hit me was the noise, the sound was so intense it was more like testing a jet engine than a car engine. At one point I was a little worried that a loud bang would be followed by some flames and eventually a big hole where my engine used to be, thankfully this did not happen. The flames did occur, about 3 feet out of my exhaust!!

The end result was 294 bhp @ 5650 rpm, and about 305 ft/lbs torque. A little down on standard but, from what i was told, only due to cloged injectors. I'll be going back to see the results once i've sorted the injectors.

A most enjoyable morning, and if your reading WASIF i'll let you tell everyone what figures yours gave.
She may not look much, but she's got it where it counts kid!
1990 B10 Bi Turbo (80)

stephenperry
ALP
ALP

Post by stephenperry » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 pm

My results from Saturdays BMW Car Club Scotland rolling road day at Falkland Performance, Glenrothes

275.9 bhp and 325 Nm

It was idling rough from cold afterwards, but I changed the spark plugs on Sunday and it's been fine since, with an improvement in throttle response - it feels livelier so I'm pretty confident that it meets book figures of 280 bhp and 335 Nm, thank god! :lol:

fluffnik
A
A

Post by fluffnik » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:04 am

I was on the rollers shortly after Stephen:

328.4bhp @ 5860
443.8Nm @ 4735

A bit down on power and torque and all at higher rpm; book is:

340PS @ 5700
470Nm @ 3900

Autobox gave dyno no real probs, holding 4th throughout the run without complaint. ABS and TC warning lights were on afterewards but cleared after ~50m and a restart...

Some of the newer ///Ms got confused by having the ends at such different speeds and refused to rev out.
B10 V8 Touring #36

Femme

Post by Femme » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 pm

My B10 3.2 Touring was dynoed yesterday. I'm happy to report the result on RON98 gasoline was 14hp above the officially quoted power output of 260hp. The car is nine years hold and has run 130K km.

On liquified petrol gas (the car is fitted with a Prins VSI LPG system) the engine produced 262hp.

I have measured a top speed of 261km/h downhill and about 250km/h on a flat Autobahn.