The D3 Bi Turbo engine

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

H
The same mpg, in that car of yours, i'll drink to that. 8)
I do a fair few miles and my problem now, even though i hanker for a powerful petrol engine it would be hard to take to see the OBC on say 23. :cry:

I am too used to those figures.

Hector's Dad
ALP
ALP

Post by Hector's Dad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Similar careful driving could produce 35mpg with the 330Ci but driving it as it was designed to be driven reduced that to low 20s! Similarly enthusiastic driving in the D3BT produces low 40s or on one particularly exciting drive, high 30s!

GuyW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by GuyW » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 pm

pete wrote:Thanks for your answers ,guys.So overall performance is better than a "standard " remap which may have more bhp.

So if you put a standard remap on the D3 would you have a "better"version of the alpina engine? i.e. would Alpinas power band etc still be there or would it clear alpinas mapping altogether?
The ECU has a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) which stores the mapping. All mapping uploads would over-write the current mapping, so no, you can't "blend" a re-map with an Alpina.

And anyway, you can't get the twin turbo from the 1 series in a 3 series, so they are completely different cars.

Check out www.fastestlaps.com for a comparison of the various Bemmers and Alpinas.
Alpina D3 BT #232 (sod 2017)
Alpina D5 BT #021 (sold 2015)
Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Coupe #087 (sold 2010)

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:07 pm

That fastlaps website ,strange that a 130i is slower than a 120d around a certain lap{anglesey} :? Yes, of course your right re no engine in the 3.But this answers my thoughts re dissruption of what alpina have done by overlaying it.

olli
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by olli » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 am

GuyW wrote:The ECU has a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) which stores the mapping. All mapping uploads would over-write the current mapping, so no, you can't "blend" a re-map with an Alpina.
You always have the option to read out and store what's already on there.
It can be used to put back to standard and you can use that existing map for alterations, which is the normal way to do it for good mappers.

Others just sell you a generic map per car model, but utilising the existing data is not a problem

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 am

So Olli are you saying a good mapper ,say evolve ,DMS etc could ENHANCE what Alpina have achieved ?

olli
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by olli » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 pm

pete wrote:So Olli are you saying a good mapper ,say evolve ,DMS etc could ENHANCE what Alpina have achieved ?
Theoretically they should be able to take the Alpina written map and tweak various values to a higher extent. If they would do it and how they would go about it, specifically on an Alpina, I don't know. I just know they can and usually will use the existing map as a starting point.
I am not saying it is all better or go ahead and do it, but certainly do-able.

If you call or mail Simon at www.e-maps.co.uk I am sure he will be more than willing and able to answer all questions you have honestly and openly. If you only want to know or if you want to go ahead doesn't matter, he is a very nice and genuine bloke. At least you will know afterwards what is possible and what not for a fact.

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Cheers olli,all the best. :lol:

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Well spoke to Simon and what a pleasant fella.Bottom line is he keeps all the Alpinas powerband and enhancements intact just does his stuff on top of it.

He recently did one , to 255bhp ,the customer took it around a test track and "was really pleased" overtaking everything in sight apparently

Guess you pays your money and .......

£350 including travelling to london and back from his office in walsall,very reasonable.

olli
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by olli » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm

pete wrote:Well spoke to Simon and what a pleasant fella.Bottom line is he keeps all the Alpinas powerband and enhancements intact just does his stuff on top of it.

He recently did one , to 255bhp ,the customer took it around a test track and "was really pleased" overtaking everything in sight apparently

Guess you pays your money and .......

£350 including travelling to london and back from his office in walsall,very reasonable.
Told you that you won't be disappointed by Simon.
A good mate of mine over the years and a superb guy, both in terms of product and personality

Steve A
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Steve A » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 pm

The cynic in me doesnt buy all that " ALPINA spend a lot of time on the map" its developed to sit at a certain price/performance level in the BMW range its as simple as that.

I had a 335d that was a good standard car. Simon from emaps did his stuff, the car rr'd at 350bhp and 525lbft. It completely changed the car for the better. The car reved all the way to the redline with no fall off like there was standard. The car was 1.5 secs faster to 60 mph 3 secs faster to 100 and the mpg went up 3mpg even though the car was hammered all the time. Simply wonderful stuff.

ALPINAs map can be made better its as simple as that.
RS4 Saloon 2007 Daytona Grey
M6 Coupe Indianapolis Red
ML420CDI Sport

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm

I would hazard a guess that Alpina would map for any number of fuels and tempretures around the Globe, where as a local mapper will map to what's in your tank and typical British weather. You must be able to chip away at the safety margins then...

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner

dubbers
ALP
ALP

Post by dubbers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am

Same dilemma for me. I had a 535d mapped by e-Maps, and it was monster the way it shot to the horizon. In 45k miles it averaged 42mpg and that wasnt hanging around on the motorways.
It easy to buy into the Alpina map development statement, at the same time its not as powerful as various offerings provided by 3rd parties (DMS dont offer a D3 biturbo remap). However, my research so far seems to suggest the 3rd parties will just drop a generic 123d map onto the car, rather than tweak the existing D3 map. Given the subtle changes in spec to the radiator, lack of backbox and [s]uprated gearbox[/s] would a 123d 3rd party map really be optimal??

When I spoke to Simon @ emaps the other day he was interested in doing the map on a rolling road in Warwickshire for me. Would there be interest in getting more than one car sorted on the day and approach it a bit more scientifically?

Edit:
Gearbox in 123d is ZF GS6-53DZ (-TJGG), Alpina D3 listed as ZF GS6-53DZ. Max input handling of 530Nm.
61 Octavia vRS Estate 170PS 6MT in Candy White

Steve A
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Steve A » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

dubbers wrote:Same dilemma for me. I had a 535d mapped by e-Maps, and it was monster the way it shot to the horizon. In 45k miles it averaged 42mpg and that wasnt hanging around on the motorways.
It easy to buy into the Alpina map development statement, at the same time its not as powerful as various offerings provided by 3rd parties (DMS dont offer a D3 biturbo remap). However, my research so far seems to suggest the 3rd parties will just drop a generic 123d map onto the car, rather than tweak the existing D3 map. Given the subtle changes in spec to the radiator, lack of backbox and [s]uprated gearbox[/s] would a 123d 3rd party map really be optimal??

When I spoke to Simon @ emaps the other day he was interested in doing the map on a rolling road in Warwickshire for me. Would there be interest in getting more than one car sorted on the day and approach it a bit more scientifically?

Edit:
Gearbox in 123d is ZF GS6-53DZ (-TJGG), Alpina D3 listed as ZF GS6-53DZ. Max input handling of 530Nm.

How you geting along with the RS4??? i simply adore mine :D
RS4 Saloon 2007 Daytona Grey
M6 Coupe Indianapolis Red
ML420CDI Sport

dubbers
ALP
ALP

Post by dubbers » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Steve A wrote: How you geting along with the RS4??? i simply adore mine :D
Love it :D - Had DRC replaced last year. Unfortunately bough some Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas that have ruined the cars handling. Just saving up for some PS2's.
61 Octavia vRS Estate 170PS 6MT in Candy White