Coolant Sesnor playing up or something else??

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Coolant Sesnor playing up or something else??

Post by Wellsy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:28 am

Hey all, (2009 D3 Biturbo)

Quick one, over the last few days I've had the Yellow Coolant Light pop up. Which I just assumed meant low Coolant. On inspection though the Coolant level is bang on the Max and hasn't moved for the last week. despite doing about 300 miles. Its certainly not anywhere near low enough to trigger low Coolant warning. I've got it booked in on Friyay 8th for Coolant level sensor and then Coolant level top up. Hopefully its just as simple as that. Unless anyone has any other thoughts or something I should watch out for.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: Coolant Sesnor playing up or something else??

Post by JohnW » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:43 pm

Must be the level sensor as favourite, may be a loose wire/connector.

Mine lit up last time because it was actually low level, found out to be the Continental electric water pump housing leaking….again, it did need a top up every month though.

The B3 has had 2 replacements at least in its life, but not sure if that’s a weak spot for D3, but yours is retaining its level and also not overheating so probably OK.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Coolant Sesnor playing up or something else??

Post by Wellsy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 am

Yeh that's what I'm thinking, some drives it doesn't even light up too. Like the last two drives I've checked the level before leaving home then driven for 30mins nothing. Checked the level again before going home at the end of the day done the exact same, opposite, trip home and the light popped up half way home. Again Coolant level bang on Max the whole time.
So sensor getting changed on Friday, along with another small job, so fingers crossed that's all it is.

My water pump did fail not long after I bought the car but that was obvious as I could smell coolant and could see it pouring out the bottom.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system