How rare is the E92 D3 Coupe?

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Angstman

How rare is the E92 D3 Coupe?

Post by Angstman » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:48 am

Hello again Alpina heads. Joined here a while back after acquiring my beautiful coupe in 2018, posted only the once, I guess driving is more exciting than writing :) .
He's my everyday car, always a joy and maintenance is pretty occasional, no complaints. Shame when you crash into a pothole though, blow a tyre and buckle the wheel - all sorted a while back but cursing the council.
Anyway - I don't think too much about what he's worth (kinda priceless in a way) but I do know the RHDs are very rare beasts, smallest of small production. It makes it really hard to ever find one for comparison. So 3 testing questions for you if you're up to the challenge...
How many of these might exist in the world nowadays?
What might a 2011 (61 plate) with 80k on the clock fetch?
Is there a likelihood of much depreciation from here on in, if the mileage stays low?
Looks like I'm heading towards a family EV as the main runaround so I'm toying with garaging him for an occasional ICE blast from the past - or selling. The latter is unlikely, but head might rule heart one day perhaps. :P
D3 BT Coupe (2011) #243 since Nov 2018

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Re: How rare is the E92 D3 Coupe?

Post by Wellsy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:16 pm

Hey and welcome to D3 ownership. I have an E90 D3 Biturbo which is also my daily and absolutely love it serves every purpose for me as my daily commute to and from work, trips with the family, A road blasts on my own early mornings, attending shows and meets. Plus all while owning a limited run car with huge heritage and reasonable running costs.

In terms of production numbers of the E92 D3 Biturbo, looking at the ALPINA archive and checking the stats it would appear there were 289 cars produced worldwide then checking the home page theALPINAregister, link above and of those 129 came to the UK.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 pm

Lots to add to your story to get a realistic guide, but in short: not worth an awful lot. Add some info on service history, condition, maybe some pix to show condition of wheels/tyres/badging/interior etc as these are expensive bargaining chips.

There are around 100 UK units showing as probably still alive (a few show as dismantled from just over 100 units originally) so it's not that uncommon. Also as someone who recently sold a very, very nice similar miles, well historied E92 330D Msport, I can tell you 1st hand that the market for diesel Coupes of that era is small, and prices paid are low, so don't sweat on it being a 5 figure car: that's highly unlikely, and the 330D Msport sold for below £5k privately with no negatives attached to the car condition or history. The equivalent condition Alpina would be, in my opinion, no more than £2k more if it's very tidy and as they're derv, I don't see them becoming sought after as classics as that fuel is further demonised in future.

There are a few D3Biturbos for sale atm with punchy asking prices: prices for tourings are usually a little higher due to their flexibility as family cars, then the saloon, then coupe at the lower end of the range.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Thom

Post by Thom » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:48 pm

Hi Angstman. Here’s what I have number-wise:

Number Produced Globally: 289
Number sent to the UK: 96

Number showing on the Alpina Archive:
Total D3 Coupes: 80
Pre LCI: 57
LCI (Facelift): 23

Of these LCI cars, 3 are currently showing in Space Grey (2 Manuals. 1 Auto)

This makes your #243 one of only 2 manual LCI cars in Space Grey (that are currently known at least)

Hope that helps!

Thom
D5 BiTurbo #156 (Alpina Green)
D3 BiTurbo Touring #153 (Black Sapphire with Gold Deco)
D3 BiTurbo Coupe #234 (Alpine White with Black Deco)
E85 Z4 3.0i (Sterling Grey)
Renault Twingo Mk1 (Vert Yanos)
Audi A2 1.4Tdi (Pine Green)

Prev:
F30 ED Sport, Up! GTi, F10 520d, E92 320d

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:28 pm

In Alpina terms the D3 is one of the more common models, but not forgetting even the most common Alpina is an extremely rare car. Not forgetting they made 1311 Ferrari F40's. Total E9x D3 Biturbo production across the E90,E91 and E92 being 1301.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

Angstman

Post by Angstman » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Many thanks to all for your replies, sadly I didn't get any notification (probably my dim settings).
I was especially astonished that the saloon is more valuable (though I get the practicality bit) and also interesting to note the point that diesels are increasingly seen as the most evil of all vehicles. A pretty bad rap, if you look more carefully at the nature of the emissions between petrol and diesel in terms of CO as the latter have become pretty clean in this respect - though accepted diesel is more problematic on NOX. I might expect petrolheads (and I mean ICE generally) would not have been overly concerned and are mostly drawn to the rarity of the marque and the quality of its reputation. I accept this model is not going to have the broad cachet attaching to an Aston/Ferrari/Porsche; frankly most drivers have never even heard of an Alpina! But resale value was never part of my consideration so it doesn't worry me much.
I'll see how much joy I continue to get from a little-used gem now the EV has arrived. Early days, but it's certainly no substitute, however rapid and easy-driving. Almost too easy :D. Still, another service beckons...keep on enjoying your Alpina motoring, everyone.
D3 BT Coupe (2011) #243 since Nov 2018

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by JohnW » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm

I’ve driven both D3 and B3 Biturbo E90 and E92. As a drivers car.
I found the coupe has the best driving position as it’s lower down, the D3 is great as a GT and punchy accelerating around town with the torque.

Overall for me the power the B3 is beyond the D3 on A and B roads out of town when it’s engine sings and which is where I prefer to be driving and get the most fun. You pay for that at the pumps though.

All great drivers cars though, I’d gladly have a D3 of any shape at my home.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon