Winter Wheels & Tyres

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Rob Hardman UK

Winter Wheels & Tyres

Post by Rob Hardman UK » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:22 am

Hi

I am new to the forum. Brilliant at getting tips on everything. Looking forward to getting an Alpina meet in the 2023.

Just bought my dream car after many years of saving for an Alpina.

D5 S 2018 # 48.

Thinking of buying some winter wheels and tyres. Does anyone know a website I can check the best wheels/tyres to buy that will fit the car. Cannot afford to buy another set of Alpina alloys, was thinking of a low cost alternative for winter use.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Rob
Alpina D5 S # 48 Rob (new member nov 22)

JamieHill

Re: Winter Wheels & Tyres

Post by JamieHill » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:32 am

Alloys

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_a ... oon_alloys

Tyres

https://www.tyrereviews.com

https://www.oponeo.co.uk

You could just change the tyres £20 a corner twice a year ?

They also do All season that have good reviews.

Good luck & congrats on your new car :)
B10 3.3 Touring No. 57

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:32 am

Before I lucked in and acquired a second set of Alpina alloys, I used BMW alloys for my winter set as I am fortunate enough to have storage space for whichever set is currently not in use. Unless you are determined to maintain the OEM look, then this is a cheap alternative.

Your car has a staggered set of wheels at the moment but consider getting a "square" set for the winters - not only does this provide a slightly narrower width at the rear which is better for driving in the snow but it also allows you to rotate the wheels each season for more even wear. The downside is that you lose some rear traction under hard driving but, in the winter, you are likely to be a bit more gentle anyway.

Also, consider reducing the wheel diameter as this will give you a higher profile on the sidewall. The downside is that the car might feel a bit looser on turn-in due to the increased sidewall flex but the upside is a smoother ride over the inevitable potholes. The wheels will be cheaper too as will the tyres, with greater availability of the right sizes.

As for tyres, I have always used Michelin winter rubber - firstly their Alpin range and more recently their Pilot Sport Alpin tyres. Both are excellent but also a bit more pricey, but given that this is what will be keeping you out of the ditches, then worth the cost in my opinion. Others have talked positively about winter tyres from Pirelli and Goodyear and I have had good experiences of Yokahama on some of the other cars in the family fleet.

Hope this helps

C
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Rob Hardman UK

Post by Rob Hardman UK » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:52 pm

Thanks very much for taking the time to craft a very helpful response Rob

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:58 am

You might find that you cannot accomodate smaller diameter wheels due to the brakes on your D5S. I know for the previous generation, 20" were the smallest option.

Nice to see another member in the Manchester area.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Rob Hardman UK

Post by Rob Hardman UK » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:40 am

Thanks for your help Rob

Rob Hardman UK

Post by Rob Hardman UK » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:00 am

Thanks very much.

I ended up buying just the winter tyres from European tyre website.

A good deal on Pirelli tyres, but took weeks to arrive. Hopefully they last a few winters.

I think I missed out on some 20” Alpina alloys a few weeks being sold on the forum. Hopefully a few more will come up in the future.

Many Thanks rob