Looking at purchasing a D3

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Clothier1234

Looking at purchasing a D3

Post by Clothier1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Hi guys, I’m posting this as I’m looking at a alpina for £7,750 with 88,000 miles on the clock, I was wondering on what I should check and how I can check, while viewing the vehicle. Also it’s only done 5,000 miles in the past two years I assume due to covid, would that of damaged the dpf filter? It’s MOT runs out in October should I try to get them to put a new MOT on it and is £7,750 a fair price if they don’t do the MOT? Cheers guys :D

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Looking at purchasing a D3

Post by Wellsy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi there,

Treat it as you would any other car, remembering Alpina used BMW parts to build the D3 and D3 Biturbo. So there is nothing on the car that you wont find some where else on another BMW. Always check the history carefully look for regular servicing, for me BMW service history is not always top priority but if you see in the history one garage has done all the servicing for years that's a good thing for me. As they have clearly taken an interest and kept the car well. Check all the old MOT's to get a feel for how the car was presented at MOT time, this gives an idea of how the owners approached maintenance. For example all passes and no advisories tells me its a well maintained car, few minor advisories are sometimes unavoidable, but watch out for MOT's with lots of advisories each year as that suggests to me the owners just drive it and worry about maintenance when they have too, i.e. when it fails an MOT.
Specific things I would look for from owning mine, these are general points. Check the front splitter as it is low and can get scrapped and cracked. Have a good look at the rear arches, I've noticed on mine as the wheels are pretty wide I've picked up some stone chips on the arch lip and if not caught could lead to arches rusting.
Ask the owner about the usage over the last 5000miles. During the Covid years I only did 4500 in my 09 D3 Biturbo but within that were a couple of longer runs and the DPF was fine.
You didn't mention is this a D3 Mono Turbo 06 to 08 or the LCI D3 Biturbo 09 to 12. If it is the LCI 09 onwards ask for proof if the timing chain has been changed, could be a bargaining point considering the mileage, as a lot of people recommend changing it at 80K and its a £1200 to £1400 job.

When driving it its just about making sure its solid not rattling and banging, pulling well depending on which car they will pull differently but both versions have a lot of torque so will pull well. Check gearbox changes smoothly and also pop into S/M to check its all working fine. turn everything on and off to make sure it works.

Try not to smile too much when you get out as they will know you've been bitten by the Alpina bug.

Finally, if you buy it send us some pics
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

Clothier1234

Post by Clothier1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:27 pm

Thanks for the response, considering the chain hasn’t been done and the MOT is up in 2 months would £6000 be a fair offer do you think? (It’s up for £7750)

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:51 pm

I would presume you're looking at an E90 D3 (MT) given the price point but if you could share the advert link or reg/build number at least it would make it easier to give specific advice. The MT isn't susceptible to the timing chain woes of the later BT.

As a general rule low mileage per say isn't a problem unless that is comprised of many shorter trips. Modern diesels require extended trips (20miles+) in order to fully warm up and then be run at higher speeds for an extended period before dpf regen's will happen.

For a D3 MT that is priced at the higher end so it needs to be in good cosmetic condition with a good history. If it's still running original suspension that is probably tired by now and I would hope it is running Michelins (or at least another premium brand)
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Clothier1234

Post by Clothier1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:18 pm

This is the reg FJ08FGE and yes it is MT

noj66
AL
AL

Post by noj66 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi,
the silver car I highlighted today in the Alpinas for sale section looks a real bargain if it's as nice as it appears. I think it only got listed on Autotrader this morning.

Clothier1234

Post by Clothier1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:47 pm

Yh Ive seen that just is a bit too far for me to get

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:34 pm

Clothier1234 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:18 pm
This is the reg FJ08FGE and yes it is MT
I don't know anything of #520 unfortunately, it's kept a low profile over the years. Last time it was logged for sale was Mar-14 when it was up at a dealer in Glasgow for £15k/47k.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:11 am

just had a look at the Ad on Autotrader it does look very clean and like Bob mentions its the high end for a D3 MT. looks like it got lots of history. Also just to mention its also got the wrong Alpina badges front and back. Ask for £100 off to pay to replace them.
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

E90 D3 #520

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 am

Looks pretty tidy and mostly original in the advert. Getting picky, a set of ALPINA badges for the wheels will cost you £100 or so, the bonnet/boot roundels look pretty discoloured and it looks like tyres are probably budgets. If it's really a two owner car with <90k that's pretty unusual to find these days and if there is a good history/papertrail it's worth considering. Are you going to view? Let us know what you find.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Clothier1234

Post by Clothier1234 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:30 pm

Yh I’m going to view it on Sunday, I’ll let you know, any idea what a fair offer for it will be, considering MOT is up soon, wrong tires, badges, hasn’t had a new timing chain and not done many miles over the last 2 years?

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:17 pm

Being the Mono Turbo the timing chain is not applicable, so nothing to bring up there.

Set of Roundals - £90 from BMW
Set of Wheel badges - £100 from BMW
Set of decent tyres - anything from £600 to £900. Personally I would recommend Michelin PS4S as they are the current equivalent of the factory fit a set of these will be around £900.

So i would highlight all that and then ask for at least the £1000 below asking price. Of course the seller will probably say "your having a laugh", but you use the buyer position and remind the seller you are there and have money in your pocket. The best trick I have for negotiations is silence, state your position then don't say anything let them come back, then when they do just stay quite and start looking over the car again. Give it a few mins and see if they say anything else. If they are a good negotiator they will wait for you to reply, if they are not really they will start trying to make the deal happen and may even offer lower again.
Always start low so you can move a bit and still pay the price you want.
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Mark has pretty much covered it, but I would just add that it's most certainly a buyers market for D3's so it's very unlikely there will be a stampede to the seller's door. There are usually quite a few for sale (up to 15% of all the UK cars at any one time) and many of them sit for a good few months before they sell, but on the flip side most will be 100k+ with high owners, patchy history and more obvious defects. So, if it feels right, know that you'll probably be waiting a while for another low owner/low miles example.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:01 pm

i just notice this car is in High Wycombe, just down the road from me. Are you far from Wycombe? If your getting the train or something I might be able to meet you and give you a lift. If you read this is time give me a shout. wellsfamily@hotmail.co.uk
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system