New Member Hi...

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Re: New Member Hi...

Post by Jonnywishbone » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:14 pm

Gorgerak wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:41 pm
Jonnywishbone wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:14 pm
This may or may not be of interest to you, but my initial thoughts on my pre-LCI B3 purchase are here.
Cheers mate - will happily admit that I've read your thread more than one - its a fantastic write up!! :D

I have re-read it again to refresh my memory - one quick question - How have you found the wind noise from the roof - is it a constant bug bear or have you tuned yourself out of it now? Also have you managed to get any feedback on whether the sun roof spoiler makes any difference?
Thanks bud.

All I know is that cars with the spoiler don’t have it but I don’t know if that’s because the spoiler fixes an inherent airflow turbulence issue or if it’s particular to my car. I’ve had a good look and I can’t see any issue with panel alignment or seals. I’m not inclined to risk the dealer taking any bits apart to try to find a problem that doesn’t bother me. I’ve got two young kids so when they’re in the car there’s no chance of hearing anything else. Otherwise I drive either with the audio turned up out of habit or, if I’m having a bit of fun, in low gear. Either way I can honestly say I’d forgotten about it until seeing your post.

I can’t say enough how much of a PITA the alloys are in basically every way. Whilst the ride is good, it’d clearly be better with the 19’s. I’ve always been a fastidious parker but one of the alloys has a scuff from a pothole, which are their nemesis. Because the spokes are not dished like most previous versions of the classics, they are prone to stone chips. They’re obviously hugely painful to clean and I almost wish I specced anthracite as I could tolerate cleaning them a bit less often, even though I had grey alloys on my last car and hated them, wishing I had silver. I still wouldn’t change the wheels if given the choice, but I’d only recommend the Classics if you really want them because objectively the standard rims make more objective sense in almost every way.

I probably already mentioned elsewhere but the only other option I’d regard as essential, perhaps aside from the audio upgrade, is one I don’t have; the HUD. The standard display is crap. No idea if the LCI makes it better.
Sal

2021 G21 B3 #115

Gorgerak

Post by Gorgerak » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 pm

Jonnywishbone wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:14 pm
Thanks bud.

All I know is that cars with the spoiler don’t have it but I don’t know if that’s because the spoiler fixes an inherent airflow turbulence issue or if it’s particular to my car. I’ve had a good look and I can’t see any issue with panel alignment or seals. I’m not inclined to risk the dealer taking any bits apart to try to find a problem that doesn’t bother me. I’ve got two young kids so when they’re in the car there’s no chance of hearing anything else. Otherwise I drive either with the audio turned up out of habit or, if I’m having a bit of fun, in low gear. Either way I can honestly say I’d forgotten about it until seeing your post.
Haha sorry for bringing it up again! I agree, if it's not bothering you then its probably not that bad and not worth the dealership taking your car apart to investigate.
Jonnywishbone wrote:
I can’t say enough how much of a PITA the alloys are in basically every way. Whilst the ride is good, it’d clearly be better with the 19’s. I’ve always been a fastidious parker but one of the alloys has a scuff from a pothole, which are their nemesis. Because the spokes are not dished like most previous versions of the classics, they are prone to stone chips. They’re obviously hugely painful to clean and I almost wish I specced anthracite as I could tolerate cleaning them a bit less often, even though I had grey alloys on my last car and hated them, wishing I had silver. I still wouldn’t change the wheels if given the choice, but I’d only recommend the Classics if you really want them because objectively the standard rims make more objective sense in almost every way.
I have been going back and forth on whether the 20's are worth the £2080... at £3,420 the same wheels in Anthracite are not justifiable to me (personal view only, others may view them as a bargain!) I agree that objectively the 19s make much more sense - but then again a B3 doesn't necessarily make a huge amount of sense anyway! :lol:

I think they look amazing, and the centre caps add a really nice clean look with the nuts hidden away (wish they hid away the air valve as well like the used to) - if I opted for the 19's would I regret it everyday when I walk out to the car??? Would I still think they look amazing after spending 20 mins trying to clean them???

On the flip side, like yourself, I like having clean wheels and hate the feeling of looking at a kerbed alloy! I also dont really want another car with a harsh ride - Gloucestershire's roads are not brilliant (that's putting it mildly) and the harshness of speed bumps and drone from rough tarmac really can be draining. The M140i isn't terrible, I've had far worse, but it is still a car I find myself apologising for when I've got others in the car. :oops:
Jonnywishbone wrote:
I probably already mentioned elsewhere but the only other option I’d regard as essential, perhaps aside from the audio upgrade, is one I don’t have; the HUD. The standard display is crap. No idea if the LCI makes it better.
I do like a HUD - difficult to explain if you've never had one before, but having the speed etc. data in your eyeline whilst you're driving makes it so much easier to check without taking your eyes off the road for long. The LCi HUD does look very nice as well and a marked improvement on the pre-LCi HUD (imo)
image.1651159784384.jpg
image.1651159784384.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 335 times
As far as the display goes - I generally like digital displays - but im not yet sold on the new LCi drivers display...
2023-Alpina-B3-Touring-23-630x420.jpeg
2023-Alpina-B3-Touring-23-630x420.jpeg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 335 times
csm_BMW_ALPINA_B3_06_db140993e2.png
csm_BMW_ALPINA_B3_06_db140993e2.png (78.69 KiB) Viewed 335 times
I just dont understand why BMW dont code in the option to have digital 'old skool' circular dials - audi and merc do, and their displays are far superior. BMW just belligerently sticking to their design ethos I guess...

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Gorgerak wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:16 pm

2) The wheels, the demonstrator had the 20" Classics on. They look lovely, dont look like a stupid aftermarket mod and suit the stance of the car. I'm glad these were on the demo as ride comfort is one of the main things on my mind and not something you would normally associate with 20" rims. I found the ride quality wasn't worse than my current M140i with its adaptive suspension, not as smooth as I would've hoped for however, given the Alpina luxury mantra and the fact this isn't designed for the nurburgring. Haven't driven the 19"s yet, so dont know if there is a realistic difference in ride comfort between them. Has anyone driven both that could comment? Or purchased a G31 on the 20" and could lend their experience?

Having owned several Alpinas with both 19" and 20" wheels I would go for the 19s every time.

I find that the 20s offer too firm a ride, with more rubber band like tyres, and are more fragile than the 19s.

I also found the tyres for the 20s more difficult to source when and if required.

Also you have less wheel to clean :D

The only downside I can see is that you can not now get the classics in 19", I certainly don't think the 20s are worth the premium over 19s.

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I know I’m probably outdated in my view but that new dash design is hideous. I was never a great fan of the “iPad plonked on top” nav screen from the F-series but this bigger screen that just looks propped up on some sticks is woeful. :|
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Post by Jonnywishbone » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 pm

Gorgerak wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 pm

I have been going back and forth on whether the 20's are worth the £2080... at £3,420 the same wheels in Anthracite are not justifiable to me...
That seems bonkers. If I was that keen on anthracite but wanting to save money I’d probably get the silver wheels and get Lepsons to refinish them; they could do it in the OEM colour I expect. Save a grand.
B10BRW wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Having owned several Alpinas with both 19" and 20" wheels I would go for the 19s every time.

I find that the 20s offer too firm a ride, with more rubber band like tyres, and are more fragile than the 19s.

I also found the tyres for the 20s more difficult to source when and if required.

Also you have less wheel to clean :D

The only downside I can see is that you can not now get the classics in 19", I certainly don't think the 20s are worth the premium over 19s.
That’s the rub, unfortunately. If they offered the Classics as standard in 19” size nobody would upgrade. They’ve deliberately offered the Dynamics as standard knowing lots of folk will feel obliged to pay up, because the wheels are synonymous with the brand. The 20’s are forged, but using a 14kg weight saving on an 1800+ kg executive cruiser/kiddie-wagon as a selling point is verging on comical. I don’t blame Alpina as such, they’re a tiny company clearly, given the recent acquisition by the mothership, living on the edge of viability. I’d view it as cynical otherwise.
Bob wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:56 pm
I know I’m probably outdated in my view but that new dash design is hideous. I was never a great fan of the “iPad plonked on top” nav screen from the F-series but this bigger screen that just looks propped up on some sticks is woeful. :|
At least it looks like the iDrive controller has been retained. The wife, for whatever reason, loves an Audi and I’ve had the misfortune to drive a couple of new ones. The touchscreen-only interface for basic functions is downright dangerous; for some reason they decided the A6 doesn’t need proper HVAC controls.
Sal

2021 G21 B3 #115

Gorgerak

Post by Gorgerak » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Jonnywishbone wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 pm
Gorgerak wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 pm

I have been going back and forth on whether the 20's are worth the £2080... at £3,420 the same wheels in Anthracite are not justifiable to me...
That seems bonkers. If I was that keen on anthracite but wanting to save money I’d probably get the silver wheels and get Lepsons to refinish them; they could do it in the OEM colour I expect. Save a grand.
B10BRW wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm
That’s the rub, unfortunately. If they offered the Classics as standard in 19” size nobody would upgrade. They’ve deliberately offered the Dynamics as standard knowing lots of folk will feel obliged to pay up, because the wheels are synonymous with the brand. The 20’s are forged, but using a 14kg weight saving on an 1800+ kg executive cruiser/kiddie-wagon as a selling point is verging on comical. I don’t blame Alpina as such, they’re a tiny company clearly, given the recent acquisition by the mothership, living on the edge of viability. I’d view it as cynical otherwise.
I think it probably says something about the ratio of people upgrading to 20's over keeping at 19's, that the B4/D4 come with the 20's as standard and once you put 20's onto the B3/D3 its more expensive than the B4/D4 by over £1000...