Two strange noises…..

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Revolvo

Two strange noises…..

Post by Revolvo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:46 am

Right, I can’t find answers online so here goes.

I have my E92 B3s for 3 years now. There’s always been an annoying thumping sound from the left front area when I’m approaching 130kph or so. Drove me mad until I recently discovered that my front left wing can move slightly if I put my hand into the wheel arch and pull it. I checked it against the wing on the other side of the car and it’s solid in comparison and seems to be tight/flush to the wheelarch liner. Seems that air is coming in between my left side wheelarch liner and lifting or bellowing my left wing and hence the thumping noise I hear. I will see how to see it and wonder if anyone else ever experienced this and what you’d suggest to fix/address it. Mastic? Sealant gun?

The other noise drove me to distraction. Had a brand new windscreen fitted to the car by the dealer and a rattle appeared in the right hand side of the car that seemed to come from the bottom corner under the dashboard. Thought that it would be something I’d have to live with forever and then, I swapped to my winter tyres last week and now the rattle is completely gone.

Checked the summer tyres I had on and realised the fronts are over 7 years old so I reckon they’re going brittle and need to be replaced - which I’ll do next April. Now, here’s the question, is it possible I was hearing a wheel cap rattle from my front right wheel that was somehow projecting itself at the corner point of my windscreen/dashboard? I’d never heard it prior to the windscreen replacement and my caps seem to be very secure but I’d be grateful to hear from ye what the cap rattle typically sounds like.

Thanks guys. Nearly 320,000 kms on the clock and still thankfully going quite well and is still both tight and tidy to drive.

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: Two strange noises…..

Post by JohnW » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:04 am

The wings have a spacer on top to stop over tightening the bolts and splitting the wing, I’ve had a few rattling and put bigger washers on the bolts and it’s just nipped them up enough. I’ve not had any wings bellowing but they do work loose especially at higher speeds. I’d check the liner’s fitted properly maybe jack it up, remove the wheel, refit the plastics around the wing, I’ve replaced many of the clips with heavier duty type and the liner and underbody cover screws with stainless as they rot eventually.
The tapping may have gone away as the winters may be softer riding so cushion it. I’ve had the wipers off and the scuttle panel behind them to clean it, there’s an awkward plastic strip that’s a bit of a fiddle to refit across the bottom of the windscreen, possibly causing it.

Just a few rambling thoughts.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon

Revolvo

Post by Revolvo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 am

Thanks John.

Very useful pointers and good to know I’m not alone with the issue. I’ll have a go at the that with the wheelarch liner and see if the bellowing of the wing ceases.

You’re right about the winter rubber being a lot softer (and grippier) and going from 19 inch summers to 18 inch winters with higher profiles might soften and cushion the ride a little bit. Good to know or at least be reassured that it’s likely not my centre cap, I’ll put new summer tyres on the 19s next April and see if it improves things. I’ll also stick with Michelins - they seem to suit the car better than the Bridgestone Potenzas that were on this two front wheels.

Now to get the wheels realigned for that extra peace of mind - which is important for any car but especially so as I’m regularly on high speed autobahn drives.

I’ll keep you posted and thanks for the tips.

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by JohnW » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:40 am

It may have been the cap. You can still fit it off the hub on the wheel, leave the key in and try to wiggle it around. The little pads from the dealers aren’t much to replace, I have one looser than the rest so bent the flat hook opposite the lock and doubled up on the pads.
Last edited by JohnW on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am

You could always check if it is the cap by removing it and driving the car in a way that should replicate the noise.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!