E91 D3 Biturbo front shock absorbers

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Vxrich
ALP
ALP

E91 D3 Biturbo front shock absorbers

Post by Vxrich » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi

I need to change the front shock absorbers on my 2011 D3 Biturbo Touring E91. Rang Sytner Nottingham and they gave me OEM numbers 31316786013 and 31316786014. The replacement Bilsteins for these numbers are 22-136572 and
22-136589. Trouble is Bilstein themselves tell me that the correct shocks for my car are listed as
22-135032 and 22-135049. Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Ninety Right

Re: E91 D3 Biturbo front shock absorbers

Post by Ninety Right » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm

I've an E90 D3 BiT and refreshed the front & rear suspension springs & shocks within the last 12 months. That was with the Bilstien B4 equivalents of the bmw numbers as advised by Alpina. The shocks part no's are as quoted in the alpina part cat and the springs are as per the BMW spring chart, dealers or Alpina can advise on the latter. From those advised part no's a cross check to the BMW cat suggested the E90 has SE spec shocks and MSport spec springs.

For shocks just go with the numbers from Sytners carried across to the Bilstein equivalents. Whilst doing the shocks maybe consider springs too. I used BMW spec lejosfors springs but aware of people who've used Sachs or Suplex. Across the three brands they are good to OEM spec.

If you do a direct check with Bilstein or their website you'll end up with numbers that don't carry back to the Sytner or Alpina parts cat. I understand Bilstien parts cat specs msport shocks whilst those Alpina spec relate to SE equivalent shocks.

After installation my shocks and springs took about 2-3 months to settle, around 10mm lower than when installed. Also followed up with a full alignment as per Alpina handbook settings. The end ride being a sublime compromise between sport & touring.
- Ninety Right

BMW Alpina E90 D3 BiTurbo

music
AL
AL

Post by music » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 am

Vxrich. You might also check out FMW Tuning & Autoteile Köln. I renewed everything - dampers, springs, bushes, drop links, discs and pads - on all four corners on my E46 B3 cab last October. All genuine Alpina sourced parts, from stock, boxed and shipped direct to me in two weeks without a problem. Very knowledgeable and very good value. Be sure you check the spring rates for the Touring though.

Also, they've just got in new Alpina winter fleeces at €89. Don't know what the current non-EU import duties or taxes are but worth a look see for nothing, eh? GL.
E46 B3 cabrio

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am

Ninety Right wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm
I've an E90 D3 BiT and refreshed the front & rear suspension springs & shocks within the last 12 months. That was with the Bilstien B4 equivalents of the bmw numbers as advised by Alpina. The shocks part no's are as quoted in the alpina part cat and the springs are as per the BMW spring chart, dealers or Alpina can advise on the latter. From those advised part no's a cross check to the BMW cat suggested the E90 has SE spec shocks and MSport spec springs.

For shocks just go with the numbers from Sytners carried across to the Bilstein equivalents. Whilst doing the shocks maybe consider springs too. I used BMW spec lejosfors springs but aware of people who've used Sachs or Suplex. Across the three brands they are good to OEM spec.

If you do a direct check with Bilstein or their website you'll end up with numbers that don't carry back to the Sytner or Alpina parts cat. I understand Bilstien parts cat specs msport shocks whilst those Alpina spec relate to SE equivalent shocks.

After installation my shocks and springs took about 2-3 months to settle, around 10mm lower than when installed. Also followed up with a full alignment as per Alpina handbook settings. The end ride being a sublime compromise between sport & touring.
I've also been looking into the shock part numbers for my E90 D3 BT and it just gets more and more confusing.
The BiTurbo Alipna parts list (I only have 9/08-04/09) shows 31316796159 & 31316796160.
When checking these against RealOEM these are M Sport shocks, which I didnt think the Alpina used.

Mine is a Nov 2010 build so assume there is an updated list, but haven't found it yet.
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am

NeilT wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
The BiTurbo Alipna parts list (I only have 9/08-04/09) shows 31316796159 & 31316796160.
When checking these against RealOEM these are M Sport shocks, which I didnt think the Alpina used.

Mine is a Nov 2010 build so assume there is an updated list, but haven't found it yet.
Neil, the latest parts catalogues are available here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24985
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:51 am

CaesarBob wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am

Neil, the latest parts catalogues are available here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24985
Excellent, thanks, now it makes sense!!

Just need to work out the exact springs I need now.
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 am

NeilT wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:51 am

Given the UK E90 D3 BT’s only really came in two specs:
  • Non-LUX with Manual AC or Climate, cruise control and rear PDC
  • LUX as above with Climate/Pro-Nav
I’d be surprised if the extras on a LUX made enough difference to warrant a different spring to those NR required for his Non-LUX

I’m sure an email to Buchloe or AWR would get you confirmation which spring rating you need.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

ttrill
ALPI
ALPI

Post by ttrill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 pm

I too have replaced the shocks/ springs on mine. I have a highly optioned car so my front springs had the “D5” Spring rating up front and “D4” at the rear. I used Sachs shocks springs and the ride is perfect.
Front Springs: SACHS 993256
Rear Springs: SACHS 994476

As ninety right said mine also took several months to settle, I was a little worried at first at it was sitting very high but now it’s spot on.
Toby

2011 D3BT #454
2019 440i Gran Coupe

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

NeilT wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
Ninety Right wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm

I've also been looking into the shock part numbers for my E90 D3 BT and it just gets more and more confusing.

I've replied to your other post query with greater info. The E90 D3 uses SE shocks and MSport springs. As long as you buy BMW/Alpina parts to the OE part no's or reputable aftermarket brand relative equivalents you should be ok. Bilstien B4 shocks and Sachs/Lejosfors springs were my aftermarket brand choice.

Obviously buying from BMW dealers should ensure reassurance you got OE spec parts but it will be ££££ compared to £££ for OE spec aftermarket.

Whilst doing the spring and shocks I replaced the front top mounts (alpina specific & handed*, as one bearing was knackered), bump stops/gaiters and front spring seat rubbers. For the gasket between the strut turret and top mount you can get away with using the BMW gasket. The alpina parts catalogue does mention an alpina part number gasket, I ordered them and checked the difference between it and the std BMW gasket. There was a difference in the top strut mount pin hole diameter within the gasket and nothing else. Ultimately either gasket can be used on the D3 BiT without creating a mechanical difference. Using the BMW gasket means you don't have to wait two weeks whilst they come from Alpina.

*standard & relative BMW mounts are non handed.
- Ninety Right

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 pm

CaesarBob wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 am
NeilT wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:51 am

Given the UK E90 D3 BT’s only really came in two specs:
  • Non-LUX with Manual AC or Climate, cruise control and rear PDC
  • LUX as above with Climate/Pro-Nav
I’d be surprised if the extras on a LUX made enough difference to warrant a different spring to those NR required for his Non-LUX

I’m sure an email to Buchloe or AWR would get you confirmation which spring rating you need.

From confirming OE parts and cross checking to aftermarket, it became apparent the DX spring code can change depending on spec. My car is a non lux with D4 spring table code up front and D3 rear. The equivalent lux spec seems to be a D5 and D4. Apparently it's to do with the greater sprung mass a car with extras & higher spec'd can carry.

Regardless of spring code I just ensured the springs bought were correct & relative to the BMW/alpina part no's.
- Ninety Right

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:15 am

Ninety Right wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 pm

From confirming OE parts and cross checking to aftermarket, it became apparent the DX spring code can change depending on spec. My car is a non lux with D4 spring table code up front and D3 rear. The equivalent lux spec seems to be a D5 and D4. Apparently it's to do with the greater sprung mass a car with extras & higher spec'd can carry.

Regardless of spring code I just ensured the springs bought were correct & relative to the BMW/alpina part no's.
I contacted Alpina Buchloe with my VIN numbers and they confirmed the following springs for my D3 BT LUX (Manual, Pro Nav, climate), which appear to be D4/D3 specs.

Front BMW 31 33 6 767 376
Rear BMW 33 53 6 767 345
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 pm

Ninety Right wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Whilst doing the spring and shocks I replaced the front top mounts (alpina specific & handed*, as one bearing was knackered).
Wow, £96 each for those. Are they hugely different to the std items?
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 pm

hey Neil,

I know the top mounts are different and Alpina specific. They set the geometry differently to Std items.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 pm

NeilT wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 pm
Ninety Right wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Whilst doing the spring and shocks I replaced the front top mounts (alpina specific & handed*, as one bearing was knackered).
Wow, £96 each for those. Are they hugely different to the std items?
Tbh I've not seen the donor car mount to do a direct comparison but they are handed unlike the non handed ones off the donor. I suspect the Alpina parts have different dimensions on the interface features to the strut turret and/or strut/spring cap. If so the latter combined technically allows for the differing Alpina spec geom settings.
- Ninety Right