I've Only Just Found Out...

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Hector's Dad

I've Only Just Found Out...

Post by Hector's Dad » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:28 pm

that leaving the light switch in the "Automatic" position i.e. daytime running lights, does not switch on the rear lights! I thought it was a fault (when I noticed) but I'm assured it's not.
F32 D4 BiTurbo

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: I've Only Just Found Out...

Post by Hodge » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:01 pm

I recently had a software update “over the air” which now includes the option of tail light running with the DRL if that’s any help.

Cheers
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

CaesarBob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by CaesarBob » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 pm

It's a pet hate of mine, really can't understand why manufacturers or safety approval bodies feel it's ok to just turn on half a cars light's. It is possible to code cars to include rear lights with the drl's though.

Number of people I've seen recently driving in the dusk/dark or foggy conditions with no rear lights on. :? Probably why a mate of mine that drives wagons likes to refer to them as 'w@nker lanterns' :lol:
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

hashluck
ALP
ALP

Post by hashluck » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:41 pm

CaesarBob wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 pm
It's a pet hate of mine, really can't understand why manufacturers or safety approval bodies feel it's ok to just turn on half a cars light's. It is possible to code cars to include rear lights with the drl's though.

Number of people I've seen recently driving in the dusk/dark or foggy conditions with no rear lights on. :? Probably why a mate of mine that drives wagons likes to refer to them as 'w@nker lanterns' :lol:
Likewise. Crazy

music
AL
AL

Post by music » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:00 pm

As I recall, the original logic was to give pedestrians additional warning of oncoming traffic. The authorities rightly, imo, did not factor in the unlikelyhood of vehicles reversing at them on the open road. To begin with DLRs seemed unusual so maybe caught peoples' eye a little bit more but mainly brought on comments such as 'look at that fool with his lights on in broad daylight'. I wasn't a great fan, didn't fancy a Volvo either, and thought easing responsibility away from pedestrians for safely crossing the road could only increase the burden of blame on motorists. I will admit to never anticipating today's texting jaywalkers.

DLRs at the rear serve no purpose to me. If I can't see what's in front of me I shouldn't be driving. As for people driving in dim or murky conditions without even side lights on then manufacturers should not enable dashboard lights with auto front only DLR. It's not surprising drivers think they're ok if their dash is lit up.

Having said that, lights discipline is terrible these days and enforcement non existent. Rear fog lights in the rain?? Is he braking or not? Don't know 'cos he's blinding me. Dipped/main beam alignment seems not to matter; bozz-eyed xenon monsters everywhere. How do they pass an MOT yet get failed for having one of their two rear number plate bulbs out? Front lights are a perm any number from six sketch. One or two dipped and/or main beam with optional spot and/or fog lamps. Unlit country roads are a nightmare where on-coming motorbikes turn out to be cars with just one near side headlight, or large food delivery vans these days! I even get runners out training in the pitch dark on the correct (wrong) side of the road - no bodies, no legs, just a rack of head mounted LEDs bouncing and shining all over the place. As for some cyclists ... you're lucky if they've got a hi-viz arm band on.

But to top the lot there's straight open limit moorland road I use frequently which crests a brow to a long straight flat section with a 200yd long lay-by on my near side. Doggers park up there facing you - yep even in this weather - and leave their headlights on. It's totally impossible to tell the difference between them and on-coming traffic. You can flash your main beams at them for all your worth and blast your horn as you go passed in the hope they'll get the message and switch their lights off but they just think you're egging them on!

P.S. Crazy race Bob.
E46 B3 cabrio

CaesarBob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by CaesarBob » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 pm

I think the situation is compounded by auto-headlights which do not seem to be sensitive enough to activate in certain conditions and as you say music, permenantly illuminated dashboards/no specific tell-tale light on the dash and a presumption that because auto-lights are switched on, I don't have to think about it.
music wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:00 pm
P.S. Crazy race Bob.
Wasn't it?! Glad I reconsidered my post and made it a bit more generic to minimise the risk of spoilers.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:55 pm

This has made me think as I thought in Auto they were front DRL until it got dark enough for the Auto function to switch to dip and rear lights. Something I am going to have to check. Seems a dangerous omission in design logic if that's the case.

I also agree with music and we have a similar country road through woodland which has cars parked in lay-bys, on both sides of the road, with headlights facing you sometimes on full beam and at the weirdest times of night to be parking up. Really hard to see the road ahead of you. Whatever they are up to I wish they would do it in the dark!
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm

CaesarBob wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 pm

puts me in mind of driving my old airportble land-rover. with the dash lights on, the control had a convoy setting which only illuminated the rear diff as i found out one winter when I parked up to find a police taffic cop parked behind me licking his pencil and presenting me with a breathalyser invitation.