Soon to be the owner of Alpina D3 BT Car no: 186

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

ttrill
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Soon to be the owner of Alpina D3 BT Car no: 186

Post by ttrill » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 am

Ninety Right wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:07 am
For yours cross ref from the D3T column within the tables in the images above for the E91 part refs. As mine is an E90 saloon I use the D3L column.

From the no's above you've the same front spring no's as me which are msport d4 code springs. You can get BMW (31 336 767 376) or Sachs (993 255) or Lejosfors (400874). The latter two are effectively the same spring in different packaging and have the same spring dimensions as the OEMs.

The rears (bmw 33536773597) are msport k2/k3 code springs. Being an E92 they differ to mine and relate to Sachs (994 484) & Lejosfors (4208470).

For the driveshaft coupling donut - Alpina D3 BiT Manual/Auto - Universal joint rear LK110 is as you mention '26 11 7 610 061'. That's listed for E90 saloon, E91 touring and E92 coupe. It's a BMW part not Alpina custom. It's the driveshaft itself in that area that's an Alpina specific pt no. Not something I've changed on mine. I would check the BMW price and if it's £££ I'd consider FebiBilstein or Meyle (HD range) after markets items for ££.
Very Useful thank you, Looking to change my donut soon as it’s starting to show some small cracks
Toby

2011 D3BT #454
2019 440i Gran Coupe

BTCC_racer
A
A

Post by BTCC_racer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the help.

All ordered hopefully parts should land tomorrow / friday.
I decided to do all the springs, sorry just anal like that and ive ordered the Febi part for the propshaft.

Hopefully my top mounts are in reasonable condition otherwise i'll have to wait a few weeks for those to arrive.

My next items to do apart form the timing chain and clutch are the turbo solenoids or pressure switches and vacuum lines.
I rang BMW earlier and the guy struggled a little any chance someone can provide part numbers, secondly will I have to go genuine or does anyone know who makes the solenoids?

Thanks

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:48 pm

BTCC_racer wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:56 pm

My next items to do apart form the timing chain and clutch are the turbo solenoids or pressure switches and vacuum lines.
I rang BMW earlier and the guy struggled a little any chance someone can provide part numbers, secondly will I have to go genuine or does anyone know who makes the solenoids?

Thanks
The 2.0 D3 BiT flywheel & Clutch are non Alpina BMW items. BMW and LUK no's as below.

BMW Clutch 21207580691 > LUK SAC Clutch Kit 624 337100
BMW DMF 21207589445 > LUK DMF Flywheel 415 040810

On turbo, turbo vac control system component I've not had any issues so not changed anything. That's something I would only be touching as and when faults arise tbh.

All I've done on the turbo vac system, inc egr vac system and all rubber hoses is spray them up with PTFE as part of an engine bay clean & proof (sounds sad I know :-).

Alongside pipes and fittings the turbo vac ctl system has two pressure convertors and an elec valve. Not sure if those are the solenoids and sensor you mention. Seperate to turbo vac control the inlet manifold does have a map sensor that can make a diff in performance if its medium to heavily gunked up. Removing and cleaning the latter with few squirts of electrical/carb cleaner & blow dry is simple and basic maint. It can be unfastened & cleaned without disconnecting from loom.

For general ref, the only faults I've encountered on any control system to date has been the glow plug control unit. The car was as a bit noisy (combustion knock) in the morning on start up for a few mins until warm. An odb check pointed at the glow plug control unit so it was replaced with a BMW OEM unit (part 12218591723 - £130ish). There are aftermarket units available (beru & hitachi) but for elecs I tend to prefer OEM parts as I've had stubborn recurring error codes from non OEM elecs components on a few cars. Saying that its possible the beru is the same as the OEM just minus the BMW logo amongst the part makings.

👍
Last edited by Ninety Right on Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Ninety Right

BMW Alpina E90 D3 BiTurbo

BTCC_racer
A
A

Post by BTCC_racer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm referring to the pressure convertor and electric egr valve.
As the engines coming out for the timing chain they will be replaced I've already ordered them along with new Vac lines.

Reason for replacing them is that I took the car for a Dyno run, although it the correct peak power is was slightly down on torque crucially there was a dip around 3.4K revs and its noticeable on the road hence why I wanted to get it on the dyno. The turbo's made peak boost, which points to split vac lines or pressure converters/ electric egr valve. The dip in power varies from day to day which is annoying.

Thanks for the clutch and flywheel part number ive already ordered them and happy to say that they are the right ones.
I will look at the glowplug controller so far ive not had any starting issues.