Coil Spring Specification

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

NeilT

Re: Coil Spring Specification

Post by NeilT » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:06 pm

Same here, mine is 11 years old and 137k, plus I know the previous owner has had at least one shock replaced on front, and maybe one of back, which makes it feel a bit uneven.
I also find it has quite a strong rebound so i'm looking to replace shocks and spings.
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 pm

NeilT wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 am
Ninety Right wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:38 am
For info, I went for BMW/alpina OEM springs and non msport bilstein B4 shocks (matched with BMW/OEM parts nos) rather than the non msport Sachs fitted as std. A mate done similar on his D3 Bit but with Sachs springs and compression, rebound ride etc were identical to mine.
This thread is a great resource for a new D3 BT owner........

I don't suppose you know what the part numbers were for your OEM parts, or your mates Sachs items?

I seem to be getting such differing info on part numbers, even comparing the D3 BT part number document compared to what people are getting back from Alpina themselves.

See below, copied from a previous post. In general I'd go with the BMW OEM Alpina spec shock & spring part no's (for your alpina vin) and whatever they carry across to on the OE supplier aftermarket parts. I went for Bilstien B4 shocks (understood to be SE spec) and Sachs/Lejosfors springs (understood to be MSport spec). When I bought the rear Sachs springs in the UK they came boxed as Sachs but contained springs with Lejosfors numbers on them. Due to that for the the fronts I bought straight Lejosfors as they were about 40% cheaper than the supposed Sachs ones.

Ninety Right wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:17 am
Further info for help and ref:

Taken from a seperate post - This is for an E90 (saloon) D3 BiT, 6spd man, climate but no idrive or sunroof. I understand depending on the individual car spec idrive or not, climate or not, sunroof or not, auto or manual the spring number hence d-code (d is sport/msport springs) suffix number can change. Apparently higher the number the higher the spring rate/poundage.

Front LH Shock: 31 316 784 973 (alp advise superceded by 31316796155)
Front RH Shock: 31 316 784 974 (alp advise superceded by 31316796156)
Front Springs: 31 336 767 376 (d4 code)
Rear LH/RH Shocks: 33 526 784 977 (alp advise superceded by 33526796157)
Rear LH/RH Shocks: 33 526 796 161 (alt to the 977 in alp catalogue)
Rear Springs: 33 536 767 345 (d3 code)
Front & rear bumpstops are e90 iX and MSport respectively

Spring no's confirmed by Sytner & Alpina-Buchloe. Shock no's from Alpina catalogue (88 03 453) with superceded info in email advice from Alpina-Buchloe

Wellsy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am
Ninety Right wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:38 am
I've a D3 BiTurbo (n47 2.0 engine) and replaced front and rear shocks & springs (bmw spring table code d4 for front & d3 rear) after background liason with alpina-buchloe via email. Easiest is to order from BMW/Sytners if your ok with the £££. If not then pairing off with the correct Sachs OEM equivalent is a worthy option.

Similar to the BiT, I understand the D3 MT uses an msport spring from the BMW OE parts bin (the BiT uses non msport shocks but I'm not sure of the MT shocks). The Eibach msport OEM replacement springs I'm not sure of but know Sachs msport OEM Replacements deliver the results on oem sprung height & performance. Note that the sprung height as new is slightly higher than at 50k, 100k or more after the springs/shocks fatigue and wear with use.

Your 31336767377 OEM number ties with a Sachs 993-256 spring that relates to bmw d5 & d6 spring code. The d5 & d6 codes are for a greater sprung weight than the d4 which probably relates to the D3 MT having the m47 engine.

Don't mix up the spring d codes with the d3 model no either. D codes relate to msport springs, C codes relate to standard springs and the number suffix relates to the sprung weight depending on engine type/equip spec & gbox. Tourings also have F and K codes with iX models having L codes.

After changing my front shocks & springs the car sat around 10mm higher than it was before replacment whilst the rear sat about 5mm higher. Compression, rebound, ride and height were all as when new. For info, I went for BMW/alpina OEM springs and non msport bilstein B4 shocks (paired with BMW/OEM parts nos) rather than the non msport Sachs fitted as std. A mate done similar on his D3 Bit but with Sachs springs and compression, rebound ride etc were identical to mine.
I've just copied this and saved it as really useful to know. My D3 BiT is 2009 and done 145k and I'm sure it's sitting a bit low. Looks great but have a niggling feeling the springs and dampers are struggling with age. So this really helps when I start to get all the parts together to change front and back a little later this year.

Mark.
- Ninety Right

BMW Alpina E90 D3 BiTurbo

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 am

Ninety Right wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 pm

See below, copied from a previous post. In general I'd go with the BMW OEM Alpina spec shock & spring part no's (for your alpina vin) and whatever they carry across to on the OE supplier aftermarket parts. I went for Bilstien B4 shocks (understood to be SE spec) and Sachs/Lejosfors springs (understood to be MSport spec). When I bought the rear Sachs springs in the UK they came boxed as Sachs but contained springs with Lejosfors numbers on them. Due to that for the the fronts I bought straight Lejosfors as they were about 40% cheaper than the supposed Sachs ones.
Thanks very much.....
Cheers
Neil
2010 D3 BiTurbo #382

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Evening Gents, this thread has saved me a great deal of detective work, rear springs can now be replaced. Thanks
#111 2008 E92 D3 Bi-Turbo
2006 E90 D3 Turbo - sold