Have you ever regretted selling your Alpina?

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Have you ever regretted selling your Alpina?

Post by ali » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:03 pm

As per other thread the only thing stopping me buying the B5 is having to sell my B3.
It has honestly been the best car I have ever owned
I used to keep cars for 2-6 months then change but the Alpina stopped all that.
Am I ready to let go of the first Alpina I have ever owned?
5 years I think or there abouts
After owning several Alpinas do they still feel "special" or is it just because this is my first one?

I don't have to sell the B3 to get the B5 but it would have to go should the B5 end up on my drive

Any multiple owners regret selling any of their past cars?
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm

It because its a touring, as an overall car theres nothing that can quite beat it as an allround car. Then add the alpina specialness. Tourings never chop and change owners they tend to stay in long term ownership on the whole i think.

I wish i had the money and space to have kept my C2 touring. I'd have an E30,E36 and E46 Alpina touring then

markbannister
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by markbannister » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 pm

I've had three now:

E46 B3 coupe, E39 B10 3.3 manual, E90 D3.

Do I regret selling? Difficult question I'm afraid but each was sold for a specific reason rather than a need. If each circumstance had not occurred I am sure I would still have the car I had at that time.

However, I have to say that the E92 M3 still thrills me and I hope is a keeper but if I could find the right Alpina at the right price I would have another to join the stable (when I return from abroad full time that is). But I would also be considering other cars at the time such as an E24, E31, 80s/90s Bentley...

If that does not sound double dutch.
Mark B

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Not the best person to ask I'm afraid - 12 years and 260k miles from new :shock:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 pm

I've had my D3 touring now for 2 years, just ordered the new F31 D3 touring. Despite the new one arriving later this year, i'm in no rush to sell the E91 D3, if it doesn't then move to a nice home then the Mrs will be quite happy to drive it.

Before ordering the new one, I even looked at what alternatives there were, the answer was none!
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

Crombers
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Crombers » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 pm

I considered moving on the B7 last year when I bought the F10 550i but couldn't bring myself to do so as despite the 550s general level of competence it wasn't in any way special.

I never missed the B10 V8 Touring despite the time and money I had put in to it because the B7 was a worthy replacement.

Now that the B7 is on the market (and the 550 sold) I was toying with the idea of a new M5, but I'm not sure I want another F10, M5 or not.

I can see another Alpina on the drive within the next 12 months, procuring it however is going to be the hard part.
Last edited by Crombers on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart

F10 550 / SOLD - Alpina B7 E65 SOLD - E89 Z4 3.0 SDrive - Alpina B10 V8 Touring / SOLD -

GuyW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by GuyW » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 pm

I would make sure you test drive the B5 and live with it a bit. The current 5 series is a big car, and whilst it is very fast as a B5, it remains big and heavy.

If you need the space, then its a great car, but you will be giving up on the nimble feel that the B3 has.
Alpina D3 BT #232 (sod 2017)
Alpina D5 BT #021 (sold 2015)
Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Coupe #087 (sold 2010)

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:10 pm

I think Simon13 is right about the Touring thing. The guy we just bought ours from had it for 17 years!! Now that must tell you something about them.

He also looked a little upset when we said we would have her. I dont think he really wanted to let her go.

He is still e,mailing me asking how the car is and if we are enjoying her :)
Last edited by MCB on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Post by WINNE1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 pm

I know what you are saying I got my B5 back in 2008 but when I bought the B6 this year I couldn't let go of the B5 as its served me so well :lol:
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 pm

As it turns out the B5 in question has been withdrawn from sale as the owner wants to keep it..
Not a drama for me as I am more than happy to live with #108
That is until an E91 B3 comes up for sale but as we know that won;t happen for a while
Seems to be a common consensus that selling an Alpina is a hard thing to do emotionally unless upgrading model
I'm glad in a way the B5 was withdrawn as I know I love the touring bodyshell and in my mind I would only sell up for a newer version.
But in a similar way to Charles I will keep maintaining #108 to the high standard she is accustomed to as it sure as hell beats depreciation in my book
B3 3.3 Coupe #090

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I'll let you know if I ever bring myself to do so :lol:

dodgyken
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by dodgyken » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:57 am

The list of Alpinas to date:
B2.5 - pining for the fjords
Roadster S - part exchanged for the B3X
B3X - part exchanged for the Morgan
B5S

The B2.5 (despite its shoddy condition and lack of heritage) was a great car - 216bhp on the rollers IIRC and had a real top end kick to it. It died magnificently in a "chassic bent in all directions" crash when the diff let go as I hit the brakes at 130mph. :shock:

The Roadster S is the one I regret the most selling - I was clocking hardly any KMs I don't think I ever really appreciated just having it there. My first wife was never a fan (thinking the ride too hard) and it never got the regular driving I wanted to do in it. In my eyes it hard all a roadster needs - 2 seats, good to look, tidy handling and an engine to die for.

The B3X was the consummate all rounder - it was as adept as pootling around in winter as it was tearing up a mountain pass in summer. It was a great cruiser, wonderfully trimmed (full Lavalina) and despite the performance was capable of wearing a sensible hat and being relatively economical. Despite all its many positives what it lacked (IMHO) was that bit of soul the Roadster had - that element of magic that made it not just a bit better than the base BMW but considerably better. I tried to fix the problem with an (overpriced Swiss installed and legal) exhaust - and this helped, but it was a sticking plaster to a more serious failing. There are times when I miss its all round ability - and how cheap it was to maintain/service. It was also incredibly practical!!!

And so onto the B5S - the "why" it was bought was odd, I was becoming fed up of fueling the Disco for little return - IE I never really used it that often for big Disco things - and TBH if I really need to do big Disco things a call to the importer usually gets me what I want for as long as I want. So I started casting my net out for options - cheap and expensive ones - from a B3 3.3X Touring through to M5 Touring, RS6, V70R - you get the picture. It then became apparent with the wife's Passat Estate on fleet we didn't need another practical car - what we needed was a luxury express which was capable of putting a smile on my face when required. The B5S does that in a vaguely sensible way. Its first Ace is its cruising ability - don't expect high mpg - but it should be able to nudge 30mpg if kept at 70-75mph, while all the time maintainly a wonderfully damped ride. The second Ace is that ride and handling set up, it is properly sorted and far more reminiscent of the tailored suspsension of the Roadster than of the B3X. The latter could at times feel 10% short of what Alpina should be capable of doing, the B5S never does. In comfort mode the 20" wheels with rubber band tyres soak away imperfections while still giving a decent stab at being a sports saloon. Switch over to sport mode and the change is noticable and the handling tidied up and all together more aggressive. The third Ace is the performance, muscular is the best way of putting it. Sure the throttle is a bit odd pulling away in 2nd when cold but once you figure out how it reacts you can really enjoy its power.

It is safe to say I'm an avid fan of Alpinas, the Roadster S and B5S show how much better Alpina can make the base model. The B3X does so to but in imho to a lesser extent. The very best Alpinas combine performance that should be more accessible and more useable on a daily basis than its M-brethern and yet ensure that the car is on par or better than the base model in terms of comfort. The ride and handling should feel "expensive" - damper rates should be just right - the units haveing been chosen and tweaked by people who have spent hours driving the cars in all conditions.

I don't regret buying any of my Alpinas and I regret selling the B3X the least. For me the USP of the B5 is that it is Alpinas last not turbocharged engine and that linear (as opposed to plateau) delivery makes it a very good car indeed.

Finally tuppence worth:
I drove a B5 touring a couple of years ago (back to back with an XD3) and I was disappointed with it. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but it didn't hit the spot after the XD3. It felt a little wallowy, the engine seemed slow to respond, the exterior a littly frumpy and it felt a bit dated. Fast forward to the B5S and it is amazing what a few small tweaks can achieve - the saloon body form and 20" wheels make it look right (like a tailored suit on rugby player); the interior in a smobre combination of nappa and dark wood plays to the E6x simplistic interior style; the engine feels more natural in its delivery and the ride/handling much more resolved.

If your budget can stretch that far - and you can find one - consider the S. It really is about as good as a 5-series could possibly ever get.
2010 Aero 8 Supersport | 2008 Alpina B5s | 2004 BMW X3 3.0D | 1996 BMW M3 Evo (non road-legal)

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:57 am

This is becoming a very interesting thread :D
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

Kentish man
ALP
ALP

Regrets,I've had a few,but then again....

Post by Kentish man » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 am

As usual ,Dodgyken writes an interesting and well written post. How I love reading an informative, friendly and insult free letter.Which is a complete opposite to some recent posts.Another bonus from Dodgyken is a complete lack of aberrant apostrophes.
On the original theme ,I thought about changing my B3 coupe ,but after searching for a month I could find nothing to replace it with.

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 am

Some great posts in this thread.
Nice and informative as usual DK.

I don't have lots of ££ and can't stretch to B5S
The thought of changing was only inspired by the B5 being within budget , not because I specifically wanted one but I do have a V8 itch that I really want to scratch.

There is a B10 V8 for sale locally for £2400 R plate but non Alpina wheels and non Alpina seats . I could buy that for a few months to scratch the V8 itch without having to sell the B3
If the weather improves I may go and see it later today
B3 3.3 Coupe #090