My D3, now got some pics.

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

eireboy

Post by eireboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm

buttons found - how the hell did i not notice that?
great feature, just back from 90 min drive and it actually makes the seats even more comfortable - which is saying something

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:17 pm

mester-d wrote:Very nice 8) . Can confirm passenger side has inflatable bolster switch too, as my son is constantly messing with it...... :roll: . Should be an option for a straight jacket too... :lol:
Cheers for that, and here's hoping my son doesn't find the bolster button. Although he's still very happy with all the others.

Whilst I'm at it that's a very nice collection of Alpinas you have there in your signature picture. 8)

jacoda434
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: My D3, now got some pics.

Post by jacoda434 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:13 am

KennyJunior2 wrote:D3 front nearside by kennyjunior2

D3 green by kennyjunior2

i would have to get rid off :twisted: wastes the car :D

No Alpina just now sold the Silver B5 Touring and bought Two X3 3.5D
One Silver and One Grey with a loads of toys in spec

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 pm

jacoda434 wrote:

D3 green by kennyjunior2

I disagree. That's a worthwhile accolade for the model...I have one on mine, too, and 'unknowing' people do comment on it........ 8)
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

ade and liz flint wrote:
jacoda434 wrote:

D3 green by kennyjunior2

I disagree. That's a worthwhile accolade for the model...I have one on mine, too, and 'unknowing' people do comment on it........ 8)

I did smile when I clapped eyes on it. It's growing on me and I think it can be taken a bit tongue in cheek. As previously the WWF chugger didn't give a monkey's when pointed out.

How quick is it was all he wanted to know. Of all the people. :shock:

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Looks great, very purposeful :twisted:

I do like the rear window sticker. I get tired of telling people at work that it's actually very frugal and probably more economical than the majority of cars in the car park at work. Oh, and faster, better looking and much, much more fun to drive 8)

The left hand exhaust on yours looks considerably more sooted up than the other. I know the main flow is through the left side but never noticed such a contrast. Where do you purchase your diesel?
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

mr dalive
ALPI
ALPI

Post by mr dalive » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Very nice indeed 8)
BMW ALPINA B3 3.3 Cabriolet #011

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.5gdi (the family workhorse)

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 pm

IAM Joe wrote:Looks great, very purposeful :twisted:

I do like the rear window sticker. I get tired of telling people at work that it's actually very frugal and probably more economical than the majority of cars in the car park at work. Oh, and faster, better looking and much, much more fun to drive 8)

The left hand exhaust on yours looks considerably more sooted up than the other. I know the main flow is through the left side but never noticed such a contrast. Where do you purchase your diesel?
Got to say that's a keen eye you have there, impressed. I only really noticed it when washing the car a couple of days ago. The left side did have considerably more residue in it and a small amount burnt on the tip. After going over them both with a healthy dab of Autosol they're pretty much the same now. With the added benefit of increased gas flow :roll:

As to diesel only had the car for 11 days and done around 1K miles. Can't vouch for the previous keeper ( was very well cared for but probably worked) but so far I've filled up with BP regular on the M1 and about half a tank of V Power diesel.

Agree with your summary of the car, I'm still getting used to it but a 100mile commute is effortless. Although did suffer woeful lag in a wrong gear roundabout incident. Operator error, nothing to do with the car. :oops:

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:38 pm

KennyJunior2 wrote:and about half a tank of V Power diesel.
That should clean up the internals and keep the tips shiney 8)
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Is this the Fuel of choice, subjective question I suppose but remember reading it had lower sulphates than equivalent BP ultimate.

That's about the limit of my fuel knowledge, google here I come.

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 pm

KennyJunior2 wrote:Is this the Fuel of choice, subjective question I suppose but remember reading it had lower sulphates than equivalent BP ultimate.

Never been a fan of the BP stuff although it has a higher centane number than V-Power. As you say, the sulphur content is higher in Ultimate.

I find benefits in increased MPG just about pay for the extra £/litre. V-Power has additives to assist clean and keep the internals cleaner, burn cleaner with a higher centane rating. The engine runs a lot quieter on mine, especially on cold starts.

However, my company banned the purchase of 'Premium' fuels so I now use the Millers additive which works out cheaper but gives the same benefits :D
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Have always used Shell where I can because of the well documented cleaning properties. Also remember reading that the Subaru Impreza responded very well to premium shell fuels, maybe it's a bit car specific?

Got very limited choice where I live , Texaco, supermarket, no shell not found any BP either. So maybe a bottle of the Millers for the cupboard :wink: Thanks for the link.

swannie
ALP
ALP

Post by swannie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 pm

IAM Joe wrote:
KennyJunior2 wrote:Is this the Fuel of choice, subjective question I suppose but remember reading it had lower sulphates than equivalent BP ultimate.

Never been a fan of the BP stuff although it has a higher centane number than V-Power. As you say, the sulphur content is higher in Ultimate.

I find benefits in increased MPG just about pay for the extra £/litre. V-Power has additives to assist clean and keep the internals cleaner, burn cleaner with a higher centane rating. The engine runs a lot quieter on mine, especially on cold starts.

However, my company banned the purchase of 'Premium' fuels so I now use the Millers additive which works out cheaper but gives the same benefits :D

i use my D3MT all the time i have put over 30,000 mls on it this year. i use what ever i can get at the time, at home we have only supermarket's the shell garage is over 11p more expensive.

are you saying that I could get better response using the Millers kit.
D3 BiTurbo number 50
D3 number 351....gone but not forgotten

KennyJunior2
ALP
ALP

Post by KennyJunior2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:55 am

swannie wrote:
IAM Joe wrote:

i use my D3MT all the time i have put over 30,000 mls on it this year. i use what ever i can get at the time, at home we have only supermarket's the shell garage is over 11p more expensive.

are you saying that I could get better response using the Millers kit.
Yes, but every time I've read or talked to people about fuel additives some say its fantastic, some say it's a load of old tosh, some say can you really tell an increase in centene/octane rating of 4-5 points? Some say pay the extra for the Premium fuels. There was a Shell garage round the corner from my old house so always used that. Now all I have is supermarket fuel so will give the Millers a go. Then that sparks the whole, 'All petrol is the same just branded differently' debate. I guess the only way is to try, you pays your money you take your chances?

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:46 pm

From my own findings, running with Millers additive increases costs by about 0.008p/mile but there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and quietness to the engine.

Another benefit is that I'm achieving a 2.5mpg (average 49mpg) improvement over untreated fuel. This is a direct comparison of 22 tank fulls (circa 26500 miles)

Another comparison is that with V-Power I was getting an average of 46mpg

In my opinion, it's well worth it
:D
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412