mindless fool

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

woodhouse

mindless fool

Post by woodhouse » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:43 pm

well i guess it was going to happen at sometime of another dispite being careful where i park the car and what car i parked it against. 3 weeks ago we were having a lovely day in the car, roof down, enjoying the sun and decided to take my daughter, her 7 year daughter and my daughter in law (WPC) to the park. a ford focus was in front of me and as we entered the car park he decided to stop. no real issues you may say but he decided to slam his car into reverse to grab a parking space and with out having a care in the world ran into the front of my car causing damage to the front bumper. we got out of the cars and inspected the damage. well i now have a large scuff across the bumper with a dent the size of a 10p and the corner bracket has broken leaving the bumper all lose on that corner. the guy then had the nerve to wet his thumb and try and rub the scuff away saying it would 't' cut out. he didnt even decided to comment on the other damage. when i asked for his insurence details he lost the plot. it was just as well my daughter in law was on board and introduced herself as being an off duty WPC and asked to see his driving licence, to which he produced by throwing it at us. she managed to take a photo of it with all his details and we took the details of his car.
well now comes the interesting bit, after notifing the insurance company, who have confirmed he has insurance, his insurance company stated they were not taking any third company claims as they were busy????? anyhow after alot of pushing on my part, my company have now logged this claim against him but his insurance are not taking any liabilty until he has reported to them. this now leaves me with my car on the drive, not driveable. sure my insurance company have stated i could go ahead with the repair but i would have to foot the £400 excess with the possibilty of not getting it back if the thrid part company do not agree fault.
now the moral of this story, READ ALL THE BLOODY SMALL PRINT ON YOUR INSURANCE POLICY. it would appear that even when its a not fault claim, you will end up having to pay in some shape or form. by the way the 2 insurance i refer to are not small back street ones but are well know large ones. i am now on week 4 without being able to drive the car and it has ruined the 2 weeks off we had plannd for driving up to the lake district. :x :x :x :x
B3 S Convert
330D sports tourer
330CI Convert (now sold)
323I E36 Convert (now sold)

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Very disappointing. I can understand the other party not wishing to involve the insurance companies but, for that to be acceptable, he should have made good your damage personally. What a cock :cry:

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Chas wrote: he should have made good your damage personally. What a cock :cry:
+1. An absolute, grade 1 flaccid one. Hope this gets sorted for you soon :evil:
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

MarkEG
ALPI
ALPI

Post by MarkEG » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Years ago, I had a similar experience, some muppet in a Tesco car park decided he couldn't wait for a car ahead of him to park, slammed his car in reverse and straight into mine (I was parked at the time). After swapping insurance details, and him admitting it was his fault, the insurance company then claimed it was 'knock for knock', as he had stated that we 'drove into each other'. Luckily I had protected no-claims, but still cost me my excess. :evil:
now gone: Alpina Roadster S, #108

jacoda434
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jacoda434 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:04 pm

We have had an insurance rip off claim history nightmare since the Mrs was swiped by a third party

She had a Freelander which just crumpled on impact by a clio which crossed the road and if any Police officers on the site will confirm as far as i know that the person named as number one in the report is to blame

any way the Mrs was not to blame and full recovery was made

however our insurance still went up by a bit down to "CALIM HISTORY"

when i asked about the increase (on all our policies) i was told that it was down to the claim history even though it was a no fault claim

just a way to get more cash from you
:twisted:

No Alpina just now sold the Silver B5 Touring and bought Two X3 3.5D
One Silver and One Grey with a loads of toys in spec

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm

jacoda434 wrote:however our insurance still went up by a bit down to "CALIM HISTORY"

when i asked about the increase (on all our policies) i was told that it was down to the claim history even though it was a no fault claim

A young (so his insurance is high) friend has just argued this one with his insurance company. They stated it was due to his no-fault accident and wouldn't back down, so he made a further claim against the original accident, and received a cheque for £250. They are expecting him to call them for the next couple of years, as well. :)
B3 3.3

jacoda434
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jacoda434 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Araf wrote:
jacoda434 wrote:however our insurance still went up by a bit down to "CALIM HISTORY"

A young (so his insurance is high) friend has just argued this one with his insurance company. They stated it was due to his no-fault accident and wouldn't back down, so he made a further claim against the original accident, and received a cheque for £250. They are expecting him to call them for the next couple of years, as well. :)
i never thought of that

we have 5 cars in the home and they all went up will have to see if i can get admiral to give me details :?:

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 pm

jacoda434 wrote:
Araf wrote:

i never thought of that

we have 5 cars in the home and they all went up will have to see if i can get admiral to give me details :?:
I've just found the thread. Admiral was one of the parties involved, and the cheque was for £370.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=52312
B3 3.3

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:03 pm

I believe it is not up to you to contact the insurer of the third party. Your insurance company should pay you for the repair, then seek damages from the other party.

jacoda434
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jacoda434 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Araf wrote:
jacoda434 wrote:
Araf wrote:

i never thought of that

I've just found the thread. Admiral was one of the parties involved, and the cheque was for £370.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=52312

Will try to see how we get on next week as we are off for a few more days :D

woodhouse

Post by woodhouse » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:24 pm

well i have just had an update re my claim through my insurance company (Admiral). it would appear that the thrid party is now claiming that i was revercing away from him and that he was reversing towards me, when he hit the front of my car with the rear of his. in my mind, if that was true, then he is still at fault as he hit me. however i still state i was stationy when this happened. due to his version of events, the insurance companies are stating it was a knock for knock. i will now have to pay half of my excess £200 and have a mark against my no claims discount.not happy with this decision at all by my company and feel let down by them. cant help but think that my company see this decision as an easy way of settling this claim rather then fight it. think my next stage is to write a formal complaint to them and log this with the finacial service ombudsman. have any of you guys had a simular experience and if so, what did you do? :x
B3 S Convert
330D sports tourer
330CI Convert (now sold)
323I E36 Convert (now sold)

John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by John_C » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Unless you have independent witnesses you are stuffed, basically.

Sorry to put it so bluntly but without witnesses it's your word against his. If you do have witnesses then great you can fight it but otherwise no chance.

I know it seems unfair but the insurance company have no way of knowing who is telling the truth.

Sounds like the guy who hit you is a complete scumbag, sorry to hear you've been stitched up.
2010 D3 BT #97 - Sold
1998 B10 V8 #71 - Sold

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 pm

woodhouse wrote:(Admiral)the insurance companies are stating it was a knock for knock.
Who is his insurance company? I've heard that sometimes affiliated companies 'arrange' a 50/50 claim to come out the best for both :evil:

Unfortunately from personnel experience Admiral/Elephant are cheap but utterly useless when it comes to a claim. :cry:

Your only hope is to keep writing letters and fighting your corner. It can take months :roll:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 pm

woodhouse wrote:wit would appear that the thrid party is now claiming that i was revercing away from him and that he was reversing towards me, when he hit the front of my car with the rear of his ... the insurance companies are stating it was a knock for knock.
So he reversed into you at the same time that you were attempting to avoid him by reversing away from him?

That being the case then you were trying to avoid the accident and he kept coming at you. How can you be partly to blame in this situation?

I would press this point to your insurers very firmly indeed.

Alternatively, take the hit and then sue the third party in the small claims court for recovery of your excess. If you win you can then go back to your insurer and prove that he was totally at fault and so they have no reason to penalise you for the accident.

This happened to me many years ago and the arrival of the summons elicited a cheque immediately and placated the insurers at premium renewal time.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

MarkEG
ALPI
ALPI

Post by MarkEG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm

woodhouse wrote: due to his version of events, the insurance companies are stating it was a knock for knock.
Had the exact same experience. Unless you have a valid police report where he accepts blame, I don't believe you'll get much leeway from the insurance company.
now gone: Alpina Roadster S, #108