Winter tyres

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Matlevel4

Winter tyres

Post by Matlevel4 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:56 pm

Hello - my first post following the arrival of my first ALPINA (a new D3S Touring on 19''s). I am having difficulty getting ALPINA/Pirelli to confirm that they can supply winter tyres before the end of November. ALPINA specify just one particular winter tyre. I am therefore looking at a Plan B using a non-ALPINA 'approved' tyre. Does anyone have any views on this? I am annoyed as it seems wholly unreasonable that ALPINA requires me to use a single type of tyre (perhaps because it is rated to the top speed?) but then cannot organise their supply chain (Pirelli) to be ready. ALPINA UK team doing their best but I can't take the risk of not getting tyres in time. Many thanks.

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Re: Winter tyres

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:29 pm

Similar issue when I first got my car.
The B5’s door sticker and handbook specify Sottozero Serie II Alp on 20” rims. I now buy these and hotel at the Pirelli Performance centre in Burton on Trent. As my alternative Alpina recommend Conti Winter Contact TS830 P.

The “Alp” marking relates to the internal construction of the tyres. (Developed between Alpina & Pirelli to refine the ride characteristics of the cars).

A lot of owners swear by Michelin, at one time Alpina’s recommended supplier.
If push comes to shove, provided you fit BMW *star marked tyres with the correct load and speed ratings its fine.

Try Camskill, www.camskill.co.uk - or Oponeo www.oponeo.co.uk

Never use a Kwik fit fitter if you want to undo the wheel bolts again!
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:07 pm

One thing to note is that you are unlikely to be trying to rag the backside off the car in winter conditions, so 200mph rated tyres are not necessary!

Before I managed to source a second set of 18" Alpina wheels, I was running 17" BMW wheels and Michelin Alpin tyres. I now have Michelin Pilot Alpin tyres on the 18s - but both types of tyres were/are excellent in the wet/ice/snow.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Matlevel4

Post by Matlevel4 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:12 am

Thanks very much both. I've had the Sottozero and the Michelin winters on previous cars (335d/M340i) and found both to be very good on snow. So that is my Plan B. I just cannot understand why the coordination between ALPINA and Pirelli is so dreadful, particularly given they only support a single, solitary tyre. Pirelli UK has been more useful and confirmed the fronts are ready but the rears won't be available until mid-December (and that may be pushed back or cancelled!).

Hector's Dad

Post by Hector's Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 am

I've been told that one reason for lack of supply here is that the UK is a very small market for Winters generally. I suspect that the percentage of UK Alpina drivers who fit Winters is far higher than the percentage of all UK motorists who do.
F32 D4 BiTurbo

Davey_A

Post by Davey_A » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:09 pm

Hector's Dad wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 am
I've been told that one reason for lack of supply here is that the UK is a very small market for Winters generally. I suspect that the percentage of UK Alpina drivers who fit Winters is far higher than the percentage of all UK motorists who do.
This.

I work for one of the aforementioned tyre manufacturers and the winter market in the UK is minuscule compared to the rest of Europe.
F31 D3 #079 - Current
E91 D3 BT #054 - Gone

Matlevel4

Post by Matlevel4 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:55 am

I'm working on a Plan B. Pirelli has confirmed they have no other tyres sized for my car (apart from the unavailable Alpina ones..) so will probably go with Conti or Michelin.

GraemeMoore

Post by GraemeMoore » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:01 pm

I’m having a bit of bother sourcing winter tyres as well.

Looking at Alpina Pirelli SottoZero’s and the cheapest I can find are coming in at £1600 from giga-tyres if anyone has ever used them?

Tried camskill, which don’t show any winter tyres, and oponeo but they only show the Continentals. Showing as different winterconti’s from fronts to backs and still £1200.

Is it worth just biting the bullet and paying extra for the Pirelli’s? I’ve never bought winter tyres before and wondering if it’s something worth getting?

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:01 pm

GraemeMoore wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:01 pm
Is it worth just biting the bullet and paying extra for the Pirelli’s? I’ve never bought winter tyres before and wondering if it’s something worth getting?

If you’re travelling a lot, heading to Europe or live where the weather can be cruel then worth the expense. Otherwise, drop the pressures a few psi and carry on with what’s fitted.
IMHO If determined to fit winter tyres, go with Sottozero. No issues with insurance, (if ever there was) right for car etc, etc. Mine go on Mid Nov’ take off Mid-March. Till recently I was commuting 80 miles a day from North Leicestershire to Mid Derbyshire on a mix of A/B roads & Motorway, they certainly give additional confidence in severe weather.
With any summer tyre the rubber compounds will work better above 5’C. PZero 4 are actually not bad on cold slimy tarmac and surprisingly good in snow. Remember, you also have the advantage of Xdrive.
Winters only really come into their own at zero or below. In ice, snow and standing water my Sottos perform well. Cornering, acceleration, and braking performance is good, but one still has to drive according to the conditions.
Once run in they’ll give you a distinct edge on greasy roundabouts.
Problems come when you out brake the cars behind.
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

GraemeMoore

Post by GraemeMoore » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:19 am

Thanks for the advice John.

I’ve ordered a set of the Sottozeros. Had to order them online myself as the BMW dealership and a local tyre company couldn’t source winter tyres for the rears (285s).