new to the 320d d3 advice/help

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

savage henry

new to the 320d d3 advice/help

Post by savage henry » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi, other than one e30 touring all my cars have been VAG. I now have 2007 320d D3 saloon M47 engine in need of some love. Its a one owner car but looks as though the son got his hands on it at some point. the original wheels have been sold and now sits on some staggered m3 reps. sitting at 140k has no service book although I spoke to BMW and ALPINA on the phone and they have service history up until what I have starts and said I need to go to my local dealership to get it printed off (?) Im trying (and failing) to find out specs. seems to be basically a normal 320d with some other model parts added.
I want to get any potential issues sorted. although the car seems to have been serviced regularly and not in bad condition, theses are for peace of mind

swirl flap deletes 22mm or 33mm? Darkside couldn't tell me even with chassis and vins
EGR delete is this necessary ?
Crank pulley
glow plugs potentially seizing in the head?
which turbo does the d3 run?
Timing chain? was there a BMW milage service for these? or worth changing for peace of mind ?

Not really a car novice and do some of the work myself but complete noob to the BMW world!! I can see now I will end up poor.

any help or advice much appreciated

savage.

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: new to the 320d d3 advice/help

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:42 am

You need the ALPINA part catalogues which show all the parts ALPINA changed over and above the 320d.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24985
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:46 pm

I have a set of fully refurbished 19" staggered Alpina dynamics that were made for the D3 Drop me a PM if they are of interest
Thanks
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

savage henry

Post by savage henry » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 am

Bob wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:42 am
You need the ALPINA part catalogues which show all the parts ALPINA changed over and above the 320d.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24985
thanks this has been a massive help! saved a copy. Main thing I've got is the base engine number!!

regards

Sean.

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm

Just my opinion on the below points.

swirl flap deletes 22mm or 33mm? Darkside couldn't tell me even with chassis and vins
- I have been advised not to do this on the N47 123d. This engine produces a lot of low down torque and removing the Swirl flaps will reduce torque and potentially increase MPG. I had a swirl flap rod failing, I had oil leaking from the front and rod was flapping around. I replaced the whole intake manifold with new Swirl Flaps.

EGR delete is this necessary ?
- There are so many different views on this and a lot of people highlight that all it does is flow hot exhaust gases into the intake manifold to help with emissions. On the other hand the other hand though this also helps warm the engine up quicker and ensures the engine meets stricter and stricter emission's tests. I have been told by an MOT inspector that, soon, they will be able to test the whole emissions management systems and any delete or tamper will be instant MOT Fail and DVLA informed. (believe that or not its entirely up to individuals)

Crank pulley
- Yes they can crack and fall off, not a huge job to replace really.

Glow plugs potentially seizing in the head?
- I have had a glow plug changed after 150k and 12 years, no issues. either get someone competent to do it or do lots of research.

Which turbo does the d3 run?
- I don't know - same as 123D though so should be able to find out from specific groups.

Timing chain? was there a BMW milage service for these? or worth changing for peace of mind ?
- Timing chain is only an issue on poorly maintained cars, regular oil changes 8 to 10k intervals and you will possibly never have an issue. BMR have advised me you get the chain rattle a long time before it snaps. Mine is on 159K no noise at all. Oil changed every 10k from new.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system