Bmw B3 3.0 Switch Tronic - VDO Twin cable connectors combinations

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

HiteshG24

Bmw B3 3.0 Switch Tronic - VDO Twin cable connectors combinations

Post by HiteshG24 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:53 pm

Hi fellow Alpina crew!

I am in need of help to finalise my car build and restoration.

My mechanic has fully rebuilt the engine but has unfortunately not noted where all the m50 engine harness twin pin connectors go and connect too. I understand two of these connector also have something to do with VDO gauges.

Please can someone advise where each cable can connect, also advising the colour cables inside cover so I can identify them.

Many thanks

Hitesh

richb10touring
ALP
ALP

Re: Bmw B3 3.0 Switch Tronic - VDO Twin cable connectors combinations

Post by richb10touring » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:18 pm

Hi Hitesh, I'm afraid I can't help you with the cable colours, but the VDO gauges on my car (E36 3.2) are for engine oil temp/pressure and gearbox temp/pressure. I know that one of the connectors you're referring to will connect to the sensor that is mounted on the oil filter housing cap - you'll see this easily at the front of the engine just ahead of the inlet manifold. Unsure if this does both temp & press or just one of them.

The other one clearly goes to the gearbox or to somewhere in the transmission cooling loop, but I've not personally seen where exactly.

Mitch at Mr Retrofits is really knowledgeable about this kind of Alpina-specific stuff, I'll PM you his email address.
2000 Alpina B10 3.3 Touring 26 - Sold 2008 and scrapped :cry:
2002 Alpina B3 3.3 Touring 113 - Sold 2011 and still going strong I believe :D
1999 Alpina B3 3.2 Convertible 77