2015 B6 Diff Input Flange Source?

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Bakersound

2015 B6 Diff Input Flange Source?

Post by Bakersound » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 am

My 2015 B6 differential input flange failed at the splines, appears to be caused by corrosion as the splined connection to the pinion shaft was full of rust debris. The diff pinion splines still look good while the flange splines are all but gone. BMW does not list the flange as a separate part (no BMW part# itself) rather it is included with a driveshaft assembly ($$$$). I would purchase but BMW says there are none in the USA and the 6 in Germany will be stuck there for 3-4 months minimum due to shipping backups caused by the pandemic ... so probably 4+ months before I get one. The thing is the driveshaft is of course very specialized, whereas the flange is used across a wide number of years and vehicles --- but without a part number it is really hard to cross-reference which vehicles for certain have this flange. I'd rather get just the flange, but willing to bite the bullet for an entire driveshaft just for the flange, and thus the driveshaft would not need to fit my B6. Yes, I have started looking salvage, but the search is difficult because again no BMW part # and when you say "Alpina B6" the answer is immediately "We don't have that". Ideas? Anyone know a driveshaft or differential shop that specializes in BMW that might have an alternate way of sourcing this part? The flange is for a 37 spline 30mm pinion shaft, the threads on the flange (for the captive outer nut on the diff) are M39x1.5, the flange holds the pilot bushing for the driveshaft centering pin. Same diff (and very likely same flange) on 2011-2014 750 & 760 series, maybe even the 650i (but not positive).
Attachments
BMW PropShaftDiff Flange.JPG
BMW PropShaftDiff Flange.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 283 times
Flange Splines2.JPG
Flange Splines2.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 283 times
RUST.JPG
RUST.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 283 times
Alpina Diff Prop Flange.JPG
Alpina Diff Prop Flange.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 283 times
Collin Baker