Towbar for 2005 B5 saloon

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

nickvel

Towbar for 2005 B5 saloon

Post by nickvel » Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Hello enthusiasts

I’ve just complemented my beautiful guzzler with a two wheeled electric version. An e-mountain bike I now discover at 24kg can realistically only be transported with a tow-bar, especially as there will be at least one other normal bike involved. Have researched this widely but even a tow bar option is proving problematic for this B5. Seems no one has ever fitted one to this model and no one so far can suggest a solution. Apparently the B5 rear BG umper is unique so nothing to compare with.

If I cant solve this I might be forced to replace the B5 with a normal car. On second thoughts I’ll give up cycling.

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Towbar for 2005 B5 saloon

Post by Bob » Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Looking through the parts catalogue I can't see anything about towbars either so, looks like it was never an option.

https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/file ... glisch.pdf

Are you dead set against a roof rack? Max load for an E60 is supposed to be 100kg and the BMW roof bars rated up to 75kg which should take a a couple of ebikes no problem. I used to carry two full sus (not ebikes though) on the roof of an F32 4-er Coupe without issue.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

nickvel

Re: Towbar for 2005 B5 saloon

Post by nickvel » Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Roof bars could be an option but lifting 20kg overhead and outward (minus battery) by one person without risk of damage to car or me risky. Then there’s the mpg but lesser issue.

Although perhaps not a factory optional extra I was hoping to find someone with knowledge of what has worked on similar cars that could work in a B5, apparently it’s all about the bumper and the small skirt at the bottom.