Comfort to sport + difference

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Generals1993

Comfort to sport + difference

Post by Generals1993 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi- new to the forum but I have a (new to me) 2018 B6. I cannot not any difference in the Comfort thru the Sport + drive settings. I do notice a big difference between Comfort and Eco Pro though so am thinking there is an issue. Anyone else notice/experience this? The difference was very noticeable on my prior 2011 550. Thanks for any color!

Jules Sunleu
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Comfort to sport + difference

Post by Jules Sunleu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I can't comment on your specific model but I do have a 2018 non-Alpina 6 series as my daily.

Eco Pro is a huge difference as it basically just takes all the guts away from the car, but the main difference between comfort and sport is the rev limit for gear shifts as well as the throttle response.

In sport it will hang onto higher revs before changing up and less throttle pedal travel is needed for the same acceleration. If you are driving along at a constant throttle in comfort and put into sports you should feel a little 'surge' forward as the car thinks you want to accelerate more. The kick down if you stand on the throttle in Sport can also be more aggressive.

The only extra difference with Sport+ over Sport is partially turning off some of the traction/stability controls if you want to allow a bit of a slide under 'exuberant' driving (best done with an LSD fitted). Even Sport+ doesn't fully turn off the stability controls though as you have to press and hold the traction button down for a few seconds in this mode to fully turn them off (which I've only done once when I got the chance at the end of a morning at a skid pan school to take my own car out for a couple of circuits after driving their cars to learn in).

I hope that helps. Cheers, Jules
Alpina B5 E61 2005 Touring #007 Special Toy Malachite Green with Caramel Merino Leather. Quaife LSD upgrade
Volvo XC90 D5 2011 Daily
KTM 990SMT 2013 Summer Toy
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2002 Summer Toy
Kawasaki ZXR750 1993 Summer Toy
Kawasaki ZX6R 1999 Summer Toy
BMW X5 F15 2014 30d M Sport Daily for the other half

woolley11
ALP
ALP

Re: Comfort to sport + difference

Post by woolley11 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:03 am

Morning

I’ve a 2018 G31 - 5 Series Touring.

There’s defo a difference in comfort and sport on mine.

As Jules said, the Sport + removes traction control etc for you to drive your individual way rather than potentially a “safer” way the car thinks you ought to.

Rob
BMW 5 Series Touring G31 - dealer spec
Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
VW Golf MK1 GTi Campaign
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6 (pre-facelift)
MG ZT+
Volvo 850 T5-R estate