Alpina B5 N63 engine questions

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

SIN6H
A
A

Alpina B5 N63 engine questions

Post by SIN6H » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi Guys, i’m the new owner of an n63 powered f10 b5 and would love to learn a bit more about the engine and its maintenance/preventative jobs

Im quite familiar with the N54 in the b3/b3s but never owned a hot vee engine from bmw;

My limited understanding is that its a tuned version of the 550i engine with modified cooling system (what was done?) uprated pistons etc but would like to know a bit more about exactly what was changed/uprated (and where in the bmw parts bin they were sourced from)

Also I know over the years the same base engine produced 500bhp, then 540bhp then finally 600 but I cant fully understand what was changed to achieve this other than a more aggressive map, the idea of bumping mine to 600bhp is very tempting!

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Alpina B5 N63 engine questions

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm

Congrats on the new acquisition. Not sure that it is quite as simple as you might hope to upgrade from 500 to 600bhp. The based engines aren’t exactly the same and you’ll need some different hardware by the look of it.

Few things to read to get you started:
F1x B5 BiTurbo
F1x LCI B5 BiTurbo
ALPINA Archive M-series Engines
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

SIN6H
A
A

Re: Alpina B5 N63 engine questions

Post by SIN6H » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:14 pm

CaesarBob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm
Congrats on the new acquisition. Not sure that it is quite as simple as you might hope to upgrade from 500 to 600bhp. The based engines aren’t exactly the same and you’ll need some different hardware by the look of it.

Few things to read to get you started:
F1x B5 BiTurbo
F1x LCI B5 BiTurbo
ALPINA Archive M-series Engines
Ceaser thank you for this, wow a fair amount of alpina specific parts in this one rather than bmw parts bin,

Skim reading this the m1/1 sounds like a mort suitable first step, change turbo compressors and cooling/ducting, better get the wallet out!!

Im sure 500 odd will see me well whilst putting aside those pennies! Thank you once again ceaser