B10 3.3 #135 - Crash history?

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

bsu

B10 3.3 #135 - Crash history?

Post by bsu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi All,

Late last year I purchased a B10 3.3 - #135 via eBay for a pretty fair price and so far bar the ABS module needing a rebuild and some dodgy wiring in the front left wheel well for the wheel speed and brake wear sensors it's been great.

Back when I bought it I couldn't seem to get onto the Alpina Register website, so I didn't have much to go off in terms of looking into the history of the car bar an entry on the Alpina archive and an old sale advert from quite a few years back on gumtree, however recently I seem to be able to get on here I thought I'd sign up to the forum and search for the car to try find out more, which is when I stumbled across a post from 2019:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23600&p=194536&hil ... 35#p194536

Back when I bought it the previous owner did mention there had been a cat N write off, but that it was just very minor cosmetic damage, however there are a few details about the car that seem odd, like the badge in the steering wheel airbag is too small, suggesting it's a replacement airbag with the wrong size badge added at a later date, and a windscreen cowl rubber end that's missing which seems like such an odd part to lose.

Regardless, I'm really really happy with it, and I have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon, but was just curious if anyone knows anything about the cars history, or even the crash that might have happened?

Cheers,

Bri

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Re: B10 3.3 #135 - Crash history?

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:31 am

Stumbled across this on another BM forum, it might help reveal some history for you.
Obviously the information will come at a cost.
If I were about to buy another car I'd be using this for sure.
Some horrendous examples being passed off as legit motors even by main dealers!

www.vcheck.uk
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:34 am

Unfortunately the only info I've seen was from the sales advert back when Paul bought #135. It mentioned CAT D back in 2004 but no specific info on what was damaged.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

woolley11
AL
AL

Post by woolley11 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:38 am

I recently acquired a B10 3.3 Touring

This had a Cat D write off about 6 years ago. I’m fortunate with my car having only 1 real previous owner in 19.5 yrs and I have his phone number to chat to him about the car.

Apparently someone backed into him in the school car park damaging the N/S rear door and rear quarter panel/arch. The insurance company wrote it off on a cat D 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

So insurance company write offs with an older cars aren’t a big thing I don’t think - obviously not desirable. Some dodgy reasoning with insurance assessors sometimes. I used to know a chap doing the assessments - Cat A - Cat X (in the old days). If it was/could be possible there was hidden damage beyond what was visible, they cut their losses and wrote off in case there were comebacks later on damage that wasn’t apparent.

Yes if car is say < 7 years old it would affect value of car but not do much on a 20 year old one.

Sad tale for car nuts - a few years ago in the floods of 2007, a showroom with lots of desirable nearly new motors including BMWs, was subject to a low level fresh water flood. Nothing really damaged apart from tyres getting wet but insurance company ordered the lot to be crushed 😱- they feared reports of effluent in the water and this could have led to claims against them down the line.
BMW 5 Series Touring G31 - dealer spec
Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
VW Golf MK1 GTi Campaign
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6 (pre-facelift)
MG ZT+
Volvo 850 T5-R estate

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 pm

bsu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Hi All,

Late last year I purchased a B10 3.3 - #135 via eBay for a pretty fair price and so far bar the ABS module needing a rebuild and some dodgy wiring in the front left wheel well for the wheel speed and brake wear sensors it's been great.

Back when I bought it I couldn't seem to get onto the Alpina Register website, so I didn't have much to go off in terms of looking into the history of the car bar an entry on the Alpina archive and an old sale advert from quite a few years back on gumtree, however recently I seem to be able to get on here I thought I'd sign up to the forum and search for the car to try find out more, which is when I stumbled across a post from 2019:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23600&p=194536&hil ... 35#p194536

Back when I bought it the previous owner did mention there had been a cat N write off, but that it was just very minor cosmetic damage, however there are a few details about the car that seem odd, like the badge in the steering wheel airbag is too small, suggesting it's a replacement airbag with the wrong size badge added at a later date, and a windscreen cowl rubber end that's missing which seems like such an odd part to lose.

Regardless, I'm really really happy with it, and I have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon, but was just curious if anyone knows anything about the cars history, or even the crash that might have happened?

Cheers,

Bri
Looks a really nice car in those photos. You'll have to post some more. Agree with Bob that it's good to see the cloth interior with stripes - looks very special.

I note you are a fellow #135 too! :-D
Paul

2013 F11 B5 BiTurbo Touring #135 - Alpina Blue
2017 F33 B4S BiTurbo Cabrio #235 - Tanzanite Blue

bsu

Post by bsu » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank-you :D I'll give vcheck.uk a go to see what I can find.

Really pleased with the car and I felt like I won the lottery when I found it, as spec wise it's pretty much exactly how I would have had it if I'd bought it new.

I will give it a bit of a clean up this weekend and try take some good photos to share :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Bri