DIY Coding

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

DIY Coding

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 pm

Has anyone had hands on experience of using either Bimmer Code or Carly on a newish Alpina?
I have an Autel OBD2 adaptor & app that I've used on my G31 Diesel numerous time, alas it doesn't seem to like the B5.
Thinking of replacing it so wondering what sort of depth one can get to using either of the above. (perhaps there are better alternatives?)
Particularly interested in real time monitoring and recording as opposed to tweaking and then breaking.
Temperatures, pressures, speeds and flows in, on and around the engine / transmission might make for interesting reading!
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: DIY Coding

Post by Metrics » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:34 am

Hi John

I recently bought the Bimmercode app and went down the route of the OBD cable with ethernet cable. This connects via a dongle to my phone using USB C. I went the cable route as a good friend of mine said they are quicker and more reliable for coding.

So far I've only used it to tweak some of the settings on the car, so can't comment on the temps and monitoring aspects. The app is brilliant and very easy to use (and I've never coded a car before).

Oh and my car is a 2012 so not really a newish Alpina!
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet