Steering Wheel refurb - Royal not available

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Steering Wheel refurb - Royal not available

Post by Metrics » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 pm

2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

scotty86d

Post by scotty86d » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Raj wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:00 pm
contacted him. thanks. Stitching looks good but the finishing not so good. will see what the price is.
How does the finishing not look so good just out of curiosity Raj? I collected that wheel and the other one that was made just after and they were fantastic. Both customers and myself are incredibly fussy and that output is why I’m dropping my RS wheel off to Matt next week. I’d say that if anything Matt isn’t a fantastic photographer and not doing himself justice.
Seeing how poor the condition of the wheel he was given to the finished article was fantastic and worth every penny.

MPMTrimming

Post by MPMTrimming » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm

scotty86d wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm
Raj wrote:
contacted him. thanks. Stitching looks good but the finishing not so good. will see what the price is.
How does the finishing not look so good just out of curiosity Raj? I collected that wheel and the other one that was made just after and they were fantastic. Both customers and myself are incredibly fussy and that output is why I’m dropping my RS wheel off to Matt next week. I’d say that if anything Matt isn’t a fantastic photographer and not doing himself justice.
Seeing how poor the condition of the wheel he was given to the finished article was fantastic and worth every penny.
Thanks for the positive comments Scott, and your correct my photo's of my work are #ra#, The next wheel being done will be photographed by a professional before i post them on my Instagram page.

Cheers Matt
MPM.Trimming Ltd
mpmtrimming@instagram
mpm.trimming@yahoo.com

Robsouth
A
A

Post by Robsouth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi Raj

I went for Royal on my E46 M3, and price-wise I thought it was very reasonable - not perfect, but its not £1000 worth of work. In labour and materials, it felt very fair. See photos below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P78VQjqjdfeUqKU58

Alcantara I think gives a more purposeful look and the tactility of the material is much nicer than leather IMHO. Plus, it would give your Alpina a whiff of B3 E90 GT3 feel! :-) The steering wheel is the thing you interact with most, so have it how you want it - not what someone else tells you you should have.

If it was my money, I'd just get Jack @ Royal to do something bespoke to your tastes for not a lot of money. Let's face it, the car is never going to be a £100k appreciating classic, so have it how you want it and if you ever come to sell, its the new owners' problem to solve or reverse...they may knock £250 of the price....or whatever. It's not the end of the world :D
Current: Alpina F10 pre-LCI B5 BiTurbo #003 Sophisto Grey over Black nappa leather. 1 of 18 RHD, and 1 of 2 in this spec
Previous:
- Alpina F30 D3 BiTurbo #145 Black over oyster leather (with 20" alloys, Bus Sat Nav + aftermarket Quaife LSD & TDI Tuning remap - 421bhp/599lbft)
- E46 M3 Manual in Mystic Blue
- E60 525d M Sport in Le Mans Blue
- Mk6 Golf GTI in Carbon Steel Grey Metallic
- Mk5 Golf GTI in Laser Blue Pearl

Raj

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for the input bud. Yours looks nice. What a great way to sell a car by the way. The detail you've provided in that google drive album - I'd happily buy a car off you!

I'm still not sure where to head with it. It going back into storage for a bit so no rush. I like your point about it being right for me. I think that's why I liked the idea of adding the thumb bumps.

Cheers.

Raj

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 pm

scotty86d wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm
Raj wrote:
Hi Scotty, thanks for joining to add your input. I can see you and Matt joined at the same time so I guess you discussed this but I'll comment on that in a sec. At the beginning of this journey, when I wrote that back in September I think, all I had to go off was that picture and while the stitching was brilliant, the finish where the two sections join looked unfinished in the picture so I was concerned about the finishing. I had since spoken to Matt and on balance and not being silly enough to judge someone entirely by one picture on an instagram feed, I had decided to go with him. But as you know there is more to that story now.

I'm not sure how you expect me to know the rest of your story after you received the wheel if there is nothing else to go by. If you were able to provide this feedback back then, I would have welcomed it then as I do now, but even then... all that was left to do was to contact Matt... the rest of the thread goes into that conversation if you have read it.

Raj

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 pm

Update -

Happy New Year all.

Unfortunately I got an email from Matt at MPM before Christmas that he was unhappy with my comments in this thread and would prefer not to do my wheel.

Anyway... I contacted Synter Nottingham and they are doing me a totally new wheel for £400. So I'm probably just going with that.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:36 pm

Get in there mate I’d be paying that now straight up I was told they were double that

Raj

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Yeah a few people mentioned that so when Hannah called and quoted £400 I was very surprised. They are arranging for it to be done at Solihull too so i don't have to trek up to Notts! Going to wait on Tier 4 to reduce down though as it's not essential.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Sorry is this to trim the existing wheel raj? If so it’s still worth it IMO as it ll be factory oem finish
Ps can u do some current before and after once complete

Raj

Post by Raj » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Sure will do. Still not managed to get it sorted as avoiding unnecessary visits to anywhere at the moment.

Aggie
ALP
ALP

Post by Aggie » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Raj
I desperately need mine doing. You say Solihull. Is that a Sytner dealership or BMW? Also, regarding the £400 quote, is that some special deal or standard price? Is it a compete recover and stitching? Many thanks.
Regards
Lee Agutter
2003 E46 B3S Vert. #088
1996 E36 328i (Sold)
1994 Mercedes W124 E280 (Sold)
1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 (Sold)
1986 Ford Fiesta XR2 (Sold). Wished I'd kept it!!
1989 Mk1 Fiat Uno Turbo (Rusted away)

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 pm

The BMW dealership at Solihull is a Sytner/Alpina one but they still fit the incorrect oil filters when servicing my car! Just sayin. :(
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport