D3 MT Flat spot at high revs

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

gIzzE
ALP
ALP

Re: D3 MT Flat spot at high revs

Post by gIzzE » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:06 pm

I would remove your map sensor and check it is clean, you can use any electrical cleaner on them.

This could well be a bad MAP sensor, if they are failing the car over fuels and can block your DPF pretty quickly.

Also, you can drive round for weeks keeping under 3000rpm and the car feel pretty normal, but go past 3000rpm and you go into limp mode and lose all the power across the whole rev range, below 3000rpm is not too bad, but no where near what it should be. Reset all codes and you will be fine again as long as you keep below 3000rpm or so.

I would pull it out and check the state of it, give it a good clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmyNobe3dro

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:45 am

gIzzE wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:34 am
Can you read the live data on your map sensor?
I can view air mass and boost. If the boost is dropping in and out (which is what it feels like) could that be the map sensor?

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:50 am

gIzzE wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:06 pm
I would remove your map sensor and check it is clean, you can use any electrical cleaner on them.

This could well be a bad MAP sensor, if they are failing the car over fuels and can block your DPF pretty quickly.

Also, you can drive round for weeks keeping under 3000rpm and the car feel pretty normal, but go past 3000rpm and you go into limp mode and lose all the power across the whole rev range, below 3000rpm is not too bad, but no where near what it should be. Reset all codes and you will be fine again as long as you keep below 3000rpm or so.

I would pull it out and check the state of it, give it a good clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmyNobe3dro
Thanks for all this information i really appreciate it. I could remove the map sensor myself but I can't say I am the best at doing the workmyself. Am I right in saying that the sensor is right at the back of the inlet manifold on the 4 cylinder engine? I think a fair amount needs to be removed to get to it?

With regards to limp mode I haven't noticed the car has been put into it when I go beyond 3000rpm it just feels like the boost is cutting in and out.

The strange thing is the car is not showing any form of fault codes when i do go beyond 3000rpm.

gIzzE
ALP
ALP

Post by gIzzE » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:02 pm

To be honest, it really is worth you replacing that MAP sensor, everything you are saying issue wise is pointing to that.

Also, get someone to rev the car while you are under the bonnet and see if you can see/smell any exhaust fumes, you may have a spilt intake hose somewhere, which would obviously give the same results.

From memory, the M47 map sensor is right on the back, however, accessible with the engine cover off.

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:37 pm

So I've replaced the MAP sensor and the old one was massively blocked. So thanks for this it obviously needed cleaning or replacing anyway.

Ive taken the car for a test drive it seems to of sorted the problem. :D

However i appear to be getting a new error code 4B10 smooth running controller on my OBD reader. :cry:

Is this to do with the injectors?

gIzzE
ALP
ALP

Post by gIzzE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Reset the code, run it for a few hundred miles and recheck.

The MAP sensor could have been getting the car to over fuel, it may need some miles to get it running correctly again.

gIzzE
ALP
ALP

Post by gIzzE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:14 pm

I should have said, that code is telling you the injectors are over fuelling, but if the MAP was gunked up they would probably do so.

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 am

gIzzE wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:14 pm
I should have said, that code is telling you the injectors are over fuelling, but if the MAP was gunked up they would probably do so.
I have reset the code a few times now and the error keeps coming back.

Unfortunately I believe i was wrong when I said that the flat spots/hesitation had gone. They are still there particularly once the car has warmed up. Occasionally now I get lag at 2500rpm and the car doesnt really boost it just accelerates slowly this again only happens at higher speeds on the motorway.

I'm wondering now if this is an injector problem. I am contemplating putting some injector cleaner in the car and see if that sorts it?

Any other thoughts? Thanks again for the help.

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm

So i have done an injector test using the bimmer tool app.
Correct me if I am wrong but there does appear to be a considerable difference with injector 3?
Could this injector be playing up? Or is it compensating for the other 3 injectors?
The values slowly changed to this just before the test was complete at idle. Injector 3 kept increasing out of all the other injectors.
Also to note There is a fairly strong smell of diesel at idle. :(

Coolant temp 87.95C

Injector 1: -0.50 mg/stk
Injector 2: +0.04 mg/stk
Injector 3: +1.00 mg/stk
Injector 4: -0.52 mg/stk

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm

TimboD3 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm not an expert but I would expect all four injectors to be reading similarly. However, I don't understand the units - milligrams per stroke, perhaps - and I don't understand the + or - option for the readings, which makes it difficult to assess the data.

Are you able to clarify any of these points?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:42 am

Charles wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm
TimboD3 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm not an expert but I would expect all four injectors to be reading similarly. However, I don't understand the units - milligrams per stroke, perhaps - and I don't understand the + or - option for the readings, which makes it difficult to assess the data.

Are you able to clarify any of these points?
Thanks for the reply.

I definitely agree with you there, I would of thought the injectors to be similar with maybe some minor deviations? again I am no expert.

The app states its milligrams per stroke and I dont understand the +/- values either :|

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 am

Maybe there is a default figure and the app is measuring deviation from that amount for each injector so a plus value means more than the default and a minus means less - but I'm only guessing.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:09 pm

So I put some injector cleaner in the car and some shell V power diesel and I am not entirely convinced the problem has gone away. I do seem to be hitting walls in the power band almost like a fuel cut but the error code appears to have gone.

The new frequent error codes I am now getting are to do with the glow plugs...

4212 glow plug cylinder 1, control
4222 glow plug cylinder 2, control
4232 glow plug cylinder 3, control
4242 glow plug cylinder 4, control
Could this be the glow plug relay/ control unit that has gone?

Also the dpf code of 480a keeps flagging up particularly after giving the car beans over 3k rpm. I have been clearing this code even though my obd2 reader is saying soot levels are low and the car is sucessfully regening. Could this be linked with the glow plug error?

This car is turning into a nightmare of ownership... I feel like I have been left loads of inheritant problems :P :roll:

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:53 pm

This is turning into a bit of a saga. Hope you can get to the bottom of it all.

Have you had the car long? Which # is it? Maybe a previous owner has been a member here or one of the FB groups.
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

TimboD3

Post by TimboD3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:57 pm

CaesarBob wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:53 pm
This is turning into a bit of a saga. Hope you can get to the bottom of it all.

Have you had the car long? Which # is it? Maybe a previous owner has been a member here or one of the FB groups.
It is mate I do hope so as since I've bought it I haven't been able to enjoy the full performance this car has to offer which is a shame really considering what it is.

Its number 441.

I've had the car since March I bought it off a dealership very clean for its mileage, it had two previous owners prior to myself with loads of documentation. I picked it up at a bargain price with the intention of putting a little money into it renewing suspension etc but this problem its driving me bonkers.

Its also annoying that I have had this problem checked at a reputable garage they found a problem with the car but it didn't solve this one just the dpf not regenerating.