Special Air Filter for D3 Bi-Turbo Touring..Tips for Service

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Giastik

Special Air Filter for D3 Bi-Turbo Touring..Tips for Service

Post by Giastik » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:41 pm

I hope is the right section of the forum....

so... In November I have to go to do a Service on my Alpina.
In Italy is better to have the necessary and to provide to the mechanic.

It is my first diesel car :shock:
and important car...so be patience with me!!

The service I'll go to do is for Km. 65.000.

I would like to put on a special panel air filter....advice, it works better? (BMC, K&N..? right art.code);

very good motor oil...Castrol?...wich?

what else my mechanic need to do the best service possible?

thank you in advance!!
Alpina D3 Touring Bi-Turbo n° 107
Layland Innocenti Mini Cooper Export 1300 of 1975
BMW E30 318 is group A Rally
Enjoy our Facebook Page:
Crazy Cooper Racing Team
...& You Tube Channel:
Crazy Cooper Racing Team

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 pm

The standard air filter is absolutely fine so can't help you with any performance filter such as a K&N. My car is remapped and I still use the standard air filter and it serves me fine.

When servicing the car, BMW will go off the service indicator which may not indicate that the air filter is due for replacement. That surprised me when I learnt it so I now replace the air filter immediately following the service or ask BMW to replace it as part of the service.

You can check yourself the condition of the filter and at the same time remove all of the debris (leaves, stones etc) from the bottom of the filter.

As for oil - in your supplementary handbook the grade and make of oil is listed, if it's like the UK version it will read;
Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w60
Castrol Edge 10W60
Mobil 1 5W50

If you search on the forums here and other BMW forums there is various topics on oil grade. Not knowing where in Italy you live i'd say go with what the handbook says, but if you live anywhere like the Val d'Aosta then my personal preference would be a 5w30 oil.
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

Giastik

Post by Giastik » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes Paul I confirm your advice...
I live near Venice so not very very cold, only between january and march we have cold winter as - 10 C°....and our holidays time in Dolomiti as minimun - 18 C°.....
maybe my choice will be for Castrol...the 2 Kinds are just the same thing with different name...:shock: ? right?

any other advice for this service of Km. 65.000? to check I don't know turbo oil, or other important and sensibility part?

thank you for advice, is my First Car with Turbo and Automatic Clutch !!
:shock: :shock:

Paulb wrote:The standard air filter is absolutely fine so can't help you with any performance filter such as a K&N. My car is remapped and I still use the standard air filter and it serves me fine.

When servicing the car, BMW will go off the service indicator which may not indicate that the air filter is due for replacement. That surprised me when I learnt it so I now replace the air filter immediately following the service or ask BMW to replace it as part of the service.

You can check yourself the condition of the filter and at the same time remove all of the debris (leaves, stones etc) from the bottom of the filter.

As for oil - in your supplementary handbook the grade and make of oil is listed, if it's like the UK version it will read;
Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w60
Castrol Edge 10W60
Mobil 1 5W50

If you search on the forums here and other BMW forums there is various topics on oil grade. Not knowing where in Italy you live i'd say go with what the handbook says, but if you live anywhere like the Val d'Aosta then my personal preference would be a 5w30 oil.
Alpina D3 Touring Bi-Turbo n° 107
Layland Innocenti Mini Cooper Export 1300 of 1975
BMW E30 318 is group A Rally
Enjoy our Facebook Page:
Crazy Cooper Racing Team
...& You Tube Channel:
Crazy Cooper Racing Team

coryjoon

Re: Special Air Filter for D3 Bi-Turbo Touring..Tips for Service

Post by coryjoon » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:13 pm

I can provide some general advice for your service at 65,000 kilometers on your Alpina diesel car:
Air Filter:
Both BMC and K&N are reputable brands. The choice between them may depend on personal preference and availability in your area. Check the compatibility of the filter with your specific Alpina model and engine.
Make sure to choose a filter that is designed for diesel engines and provides good filtration while allowing sufficient airflow. Refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the right part number.
Motor Oil:
Castrol is a well-known brand and offers a range of oils suitable for diesel engines. The specific type and viscosity of Oil Catch Can you need will depend on your car's requirements. Refer to your vehicle's manual for the recommended oil specifications.
Brands like Castrol Edge or Castrol Magnatec are often recommended for high-performance vehicles. Ensure the oil meets the required standards for your Alpina.
Other Service Considerations:
Change the fuel filter: Diesel engines can be sensitive to fuel quality, and a clean fuel filter is essential for proper engine performance.
Check and replace the cabin air filter if applicable.
Inspect the brakes, brake fluid, and tires for wear.
Verify the condition of the timing belt if your vehicle has one, and replace it if necessary (refer to your vehicle's maintenance schedule).
Check the transmission fluid if your car has an automatic transmission.
Consult the Manual:
Always refer to your vehicle's owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommendations regarding service intervals, parts, and fluids.
Communication with the Mechanic:
Discuss your preferences with your mechanic, and ensure they are aware of any specific requirements or concerns you have regarding the service.